A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
724 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cotten Yarn Substitution Advice  (Read 1066 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

meriellyn
« on: March 01, 2006 10:14:52 AM »

Hi! Smiley
I recently picked up the new SnB Crochet book and I'm completely in love with the cowboy hat. The pattern uses Lion Cotton but I want to make mine in a nice brown so I'm looking for a replacement yarn. I'm not familiar with cotton yarn at all so I'm wondering if anyone can suggest some possible substitutions that would work well and might come in a nice brown (preferable a medium/dark color).
Thanks!
-M
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AuntBecky
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006 03:23:08 PM »

I like Lion Cotton a lot.  It's very smooth and feels nice.  Peaches and Cream from WalMart is my next favorite--I've never seen it at any other store.  Sugar and Cream tends to be fuzzy sometimes, reminding me of mop strings.  It's probably going to be hard to find brown and enough in the same dyelot to finish the project.  Lion Cotton comes in much larger skeins than the other two brands.  I don't know anything about dying yarn, but you may end up needing to do that.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LilMissPink
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006 04:07:22 AM »

The first thing that comes to my mind for a cowboy hat- Lion suede! That comes in brown, right? Browns are so hard to find in yarn.  Undecided Cowboys wore suede, right?  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everybody likes pink. People who think otherwise are in denial.
cottontop
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006 01:52:42 PM »

Peaches & Creme has a brown, it's called "Chocolate". I have some and it's a medium brown, more milk choc than dark chocolate. I thought it looked really dull and ugly on the cone, but when I knitted (sorry! but crochet is my first love) a sampler out of it it turned out to be a really pretty brown after all. Nice basic brown, not orangy, not reddish, not anything but brown...

Only retail place I know that carries a lot of Peaches & Creme's colors is Cotton Clouds (online store). They don't actually list that color but I'm sure she can order it, the Peaches & Creme order # for Chocolate is #121. You can email her and ask, she responds pretty quick. You can buy from her in cones or in balls. (I didn't order mine from her, I got it in a large bulk order of over 50 cones directly from the manufacturer (see my swap ad!) but I'm keeping all I got of Chocolate, it's gonna be a really good mixer...)

Be forwarned if you look at the myrad of Peaches and Creme colors on her site/ any site that the real life colors are WAY different than the way they look onscreen. In fact NONE that I've gotten look the way they look onscreen, for most even the basic color(s)  let alone the darkness or lightness was totally different...I guess that's why she sells kinda pricey color cards, its really the only way to get a true idea what the color looks like...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fudderduds
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006 01:50:04 PM »

TLC Cotton Plus is a cotton acrylic blend that has a nice variety of colors, if you can find them.

Also, you could dye any of the white cottons (100% cotton) to any color you want with fabric dye.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RavenMaiden

The true RavenMaiden

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006 09:51:44 AM »

With cotton yarn, if I can't find the color I want, I always buy white.  Once the project is done, I can RIT dye it any color I please... and I don't have to worry about dye lot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Victims, aren't we all?
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006 04:17:16 PM »

I haven't dyed the kitchen-cotton type yarns, but I have had very good results using Dylon to dye the Aunt Lydia size 3 100% cotton thread/yarn.

I dyed the uncrocheted yarn itself, rather than making the project first, because I was afraid of it not taking the dye completely under the loopy bits--does that make sense?--of the crochet. But it sounds as if I was being overly cautious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
Craftastica
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006 01:22:56 PM »

Hold the phone! I found brown cotton yarn at Hobby Lobby. I am going to bet that it was the Lilly brand, or whatever the cotton brand yarn they carry. Now, I am talking about worsted weight cotton yarn, not that skinny bedspread stuff.

LilMissPink's suggestion to use the suede yarn initially sounded good to me, but I think you would end up with a floppy hat because that yarn is much softer than the cotton yarn is.

Best of luck, and I hope that you have a big Hobby Lobby like we do here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006 09:03:04 AM »

Red heart has a soft acrylic, but I think you could use almost anything you like really. I would think that cotton would also be kinda floppy (I have not used the suede so I am not sure if it would be AS floppy..) I suggest trying some spray starch if it doesn't have enough body to it!
I think the most important thing is to get a yarn that is similar in weight to that the pattern is easier to follow (as opposed to doing a guage piece and all that math yeck!)
Can't wait to see your FO! Best of luck!
(cowboy hat, sounds cool, I don't have the book, but I might have to try one myself! Love the idea... my son would love one!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
RavenMaiden

The true RavenMaiden

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006 05:40:59 PM »

Javastain, LOVE your pic!!!  That looks like MY hair in the a.m.... but I don't seem to be CUTE with that hair!  LOL!  So adorable!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Victims, aren't we all?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ms. New York Senior America LIVE
Senior Pageant Queens Look Back On 8 Decades Of Style
How This 62-Year-Old Pageant Queen Turned Her Life Around At 50
6 Ways to Try New Beauty Products Before You Buy Them
How To Get Soft, Smooth Lips
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...