A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
773 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fire Mario Duffel Bag Made By my 5 yr old son  (Read 3490 times)
Tags for this thread: nintendo , super_mario , totebag , video_game , kids_craft  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ezri_B
« on: March 01, 2006 06:37:50 AM »

Ok, I helped alot, but Lore, did all of the straight stitch seams, even over the the layers of interfacing and batting. This was all his idea. He has seen me make other bags for my nieces and he wanted this bag for his dance class. He wanted Fire Mario, with fire fabric, and two straps that go around the bottom. He only wanted one extra pocket on the opposite side as Mario. So that is what we made. We did the applique ourselves. He traced and cut out all of the fabric. I did the applique stitching (my first time.)  He didn't want it too stiff, he wanted it "squishy," so we didn't interface it too much. But it has a bit of body. Anyway, here it is.

This is Lore holding his bag. He was very proud and told me I had to put it on craftster right away! (Don't pay attention to his hair, he always messes it up before a picture, he thinks it makes him cuter.... it doesn't)

Here's a bit more of a close up. The inside is plain black except the bottom-inside is the flame fabric. His brothers are very jealous. They want one now too, so we'll have to see.

All in all this was a great project to do together, he could pin, sew, press, etc... he did get sick of how much fabric cutting there was, so next time I probably would do that when he wasn't around.

So anyway, I'd love to hear what you all think Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ksew
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006 06:43:35 AM »

Love it!
I have a 7 year old stepson and he LOVES to sew with me too.  Its a great project for this age kids.. and by the way, I LOVE his hair messed up.. very very cute!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fanny
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006 06:50:27 AM »

aww thats fabulous!
he should be very proud
hehe my sons hair looks very similar
THIS ROCKS   Logged
recycled_earth

Forget the llamas. Gimme some hedgehog love.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006 06:52:15 AM »

That's so great!  You both did a very nice job.  Now I'm inspired to teach my 6 year old son how to sew.  I'm looking for activities for him since he's grounded from TV and video games for a week.  Smiley  (I think the messy hair is cute, by the way.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I die before I learn to speak, will money pay for all the days I lived awake but half-asleep?   -Primitive Radio Gods

UK crafters unite!  www.craftermath.co. uk
Ezri_B
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006 07:08:19 AM »

I guess the messy hair is cute, unless you're his mom and you want it down Grin

recycled earth, my sons all love sewing. A nice first project is a simple pillow case for a small square pillow (or a big one.) That's how my older 2 sons started sewing. Also my youngest (this one) loves making hemp jewelry, you can sort of see his latest creation on his neck in one of the pictures. He also loves crochet chains, and yarn dyeing. But all of my boys favorites are shrinky dinks. They make jewelry, key chains, trading coins, (these are just fun designs they like and they cut them out with a big circle paper punch, shrink them, and give them too all of their friends.) Just some ideas for you.

Thanks for all the great comments, my son will be so excited when he gets home from school!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PurpleHeather
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006 07:11:23 AM »

Fantastic bag, the flame material is really cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

k8kre8s
hand-made, not slave-made

power to the cats

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006 07:54:12 AM »

okay, first, lore is ADORABLE, messy hair and all.

second, that bag is TOTALLY COOL!! i am 27 years old and i am really jealous!

third, you are such a great mom for TEACHING YOUR KIDS TO SEW! that must take serious patience. machine sewing is one of my most favorite skills and i am so happy i was taught in school.

fourth, BOYS WHO SEW ARE REALLY COOL!! one of my favorite qualities of my boyfriend is that he knows how to use a sewing machine (without assistance). he alters his own clothes from the thrift store and bargain bins (he is also pretty cheap  Cheesy ).

having fun and handy skills like sewing and crafting are so important to life, i think. i hope to see more projects from your talented kids on craftster sometime....   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

barraGOUDA
Gigantic Dork

I am a gigantic dork.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006 09:27:25 AM »

That bag is awesome! And I think it's so wonderful that your son made so much of it. I think it's so cool that you taught your sons to sew! I can't even do what your five-year-old son did, and I'm 22. Wink Looks fab!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Support your local locksmith: lose your keys.
weeza
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006 09:35:14 AM »

I love it.  I bet you he carries it around everywhere:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Flickr pics of my projects here.
moondeela
scurvy shyster

Girls just wanna have fun...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006 10:09:50 AM »

What a great project to do together!  Your sons sound like they rock!  Keep up the great work and creative opportunities for them!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you want anything said, ask a man. If you want something done, ask a woman. ~Margaret Thatcher

The secret of getting ahead is getting started. ~Sally Berger
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Little Big Mac Recipe
Hot Wings and Turkey Sliders Recipe
How to make Macaroni and Cheese
Grilled Summer Burgers Recipe
Brown Onion Gravy
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...