A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,083
Currently Running With Scissors:
760 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I have no idea what im doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 783 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fabricfightsfire
« on: February 28, 2006 04:21:40 PM »

Ok, so i got the stitch and bitch book ( i could put this in that section, but m here so w/e also its more a question???... w/e) , andi read it, and i started a hat and i cast on.... and now im lost. ok heres my list of problems  Huh   Huh   Huh
1.when it says "knit in some way for 1 3/4, what to they mean by the numbers
2. St st? for 3 3/4 more it says
3. it says to place a stitch marker after every 12th st.! what even is a stitch marker?
4. on the top it says (i quote)
"Stitch pattern - seed stitch (on even number of sts in the round flat)
rnd/row 1:*K1, P1, rep from * around
rnd/row 2: *P1, k1, rep from * aroung
rep rnds/row 1-2 for pattern."
WHAT DOES THAT MEAN!!!!!!!!!!
5. dec rnd (switch to dpn when neccessary). I know dpn, double pointed needles, no idea how to use them
6. k2tog?
7. it says to "rep dec rnd 3 times more - until 56 titches; then every rrnd until 7"... no idea wtf that means
8. thread tail through rems 7 sts, pull firmly. WHAT???
9. beg to rnd?
10. pu 18 sts? pu through loops of the st?

wow, 10 things.
Sorry im so hopeless, but i did read through the whole book and practice, and ive done scarfs and stuff... but u know, i need some support on this damn hat!!!!!!!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm screwed aren't I? lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
juniperl13
The one with the stripes

you look like lunch to me! ^_^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006 04:40:50 PM »

I'm going to assume you're trying out the kittyville hat pattern. That was my first hat too, so I'll help you. Okay, to start out, it tells you to work for 1 3/4" in seed stitch. Seed stitch is described right before the directions begin. In fact, you quoted it verbatim. To do seed stitch you start your first round by doing K1, P1, K1, P1, K1, P1, etc. until you've done the whole round. The next round is the same, but you start with P1. So it's P1, K1, P1, K1, P1, K1, etc. for that whole second round. The third (and every odd round) is the same as round 1. The fourth (and every even round) is the same as round 2. After a few rounds the pattern will begin to show up. It should look like this.

If I'm not making any sense to you I'm not going to bother explaining the rest of this, so let me know if that first bit is clear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My website is coming together nicely! Please send me feedback, as I don't know how well it works on systems other than mine.

Also, I have a blog at  http://neglectedblog.blogspot.com/
fabricfightsfire
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006 04:43:06 PM »

yea i get that part (though the link didnt show up) thanks so far!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
DithMer

Have a good one, and learn everything you can.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006 04:43:19 PM »

OK... first of all, I'm going to try and help, but you're going to find a lot of these answers in the back of the Stitch n' Bitch book.. there's technique stuff... look there...

So.. here goes....

1) 1 3/4 is inches.  Look for a " symbol next to the number to confirm but I'm pretty sure what that means.
2) St St is Stockinette Stitch.  Knit on one side, purl on the other.
3) A stitch marker is a small ring that keeps track of a section of stitches.  See: http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/notions-tools---accessories-stitch-markers.html
4) It just means that on the first row you do Knit, Purl, Knit, Purl, and on the next row, you start with Purl, Knit, Purl, Knit and do it through the whole thing.  That's called Seed Stitch.
5) Basically with double pointed needles you just divide the stitches evenly among the needles, usually either 3-4 needles. Check the back of the book for more info on how to use DPN's.
6) Knit two together
7) That one isn't so clear.  You're supposed to do the decreases until there's 56 stitches, but I don't know what "every round until 7" " means.
Cool There will only be 7 stitches left.  Cut the tail, and starting at the first stitch you knit into, thread the yarn through those stitches (taking the needles out as you go) and pull it tight.
9) Beginning to round doesn't make sense to me. Anyone?
10) That means to pick up 18 stitches, look in the book or at knittinghelp.com for picking up stitches help.

Calm down!! It'll be ok. I promise. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juniperl13
The one with the stripes

you look like lunch to me! ^_^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006 04:50:06 PM »

I think the "beg to rnd" was supposed to be "beg pu 30 sts to right of beg of rnd." Earflap directions. ^_^

Or it was just supposed to be "beg of rnd." Earflap directions either way, it looks like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My website is coming together nicely! Please send me feedback, as I don't know how well it works on systems other than mine.

Also, I have a blog at  http://neglectedblog.blogspot.com/
fabricfightsfire
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006 04:53:29 PM »

lol thanks, im gonna start the first row, and i'm gonnam ake sure to take pictures to post to see where i am! (and when i need help!) thanks u guys!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
soozeq
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006 06:15:52 PM »

7) That one isn't so clear.  You're supposed to do the decreases until there's 56 stitches, but I don't know what "every round until 7" " means.

I don't have the book, but it looks like it means to do the dec round 3 times until you have 56 stitches, then do the decrease round *every* round until there's 7 stitches left. (I guess when you first start decreasing, you only do it every other row or every 4th round or something? That makes it taper gradually.) Then you're left with the 7 stitches which you pull the end of the yarn through.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Puppy Love Chow
How to Make Homemade Blueberry and Banana Muffins
How to Make Brownie Tarts
How to Make Drunken Honey Figs with Cashew Nut Cream
Plum and Apple Cobbler Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...