A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
448 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Use it or lose it" craftalong. Anyone?  (Read 4886 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

onetomatotwo

(former username: kaesea)

View Profile WWW
« on: February 28, 2006 02:53:26 PM »

Well... maybe not "lose it." Although... if you're not using it, perhaps you should!

What is she talking about, right?

This idea came about during some late-night ramblings in the Secret FOC Swap Gallery (page 44 or so...) when a few people started confessing to some crafty tools they have at home that they haven't used yet. Not naming any names, but these included such things as a screen printing kit, a serger, and a laminator.

Sooo... if you're procrastinating about something that you already own but have not yet used, this is the craftalong for you! That's right -- go grab that [insert crafty item here], make something with it, and post it. If it helps you (and I know it helps me), you can start by confessing posting what the item is and then later, post proudly that you've used it. How gratifying!

I'm going to start: I have a screen printing kit that is still in the box. Check back here (sometime soon, I hope) and see how I've used it.

In the meantime, anyone else who needs a little kick in the pants should feel free to post here... post the item that you haven't used (or just go use it) and then enjoy the satisfaction of posting, "Look what I finally used!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live on the west coast. She lives on the east coast. We discuss crafts in between. Right here: Trans-craft-inental.
flrtingwdisaster
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006 02:58:12 PM »

I'm forcing myself to post here in hopes that I'll finally use my knitting kits. I have so many things I haven't gotten around to using, or haven't forced myself to stop procrastinate and use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redstar13
"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan. " -Tom Landrey

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006 03:03:52 PM »

Mr. Serger needs some love at my house! I may have to participate
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewlikewhoa
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006 06:07:50 PM »

Lets see, I have a knit kit for a mouse cover I havent peeked at, and a serger in its box from my birthday dying to be toyed with, and a lovely boxed filled with poloroid cases ( I know technically not a tool, but the pliers and s hooks I bought for it are...hehe) that will become a wall hanging.

I'll be checking back to see the date I actually kick myself in the pants and do it.

Great idea, and thanks to the two above posters for reminding me I had those things in the closet. I thought I had no unused tools. Le sigh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"underwater, I wrote drowning"
boarderchic
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006 11:07:58 PM »

I can't think of anything off the top of my head that I'm not using.  I wish I had fabulous toys like surgers and screen printing kits.   Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Synne

mack. cute but feisty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006 05:36:48 PM »

I am totally two steps ahead of the game...just a few weekends ago, I dragged out my bought-it-off-ebay-three-years-ago-but-never-used-it BEDAZZLER and bedazzled me a tank top!

Ok...I admit it. It's actually not even a BeDazzler. It's a knock-off "Incredible Stud-Setting Machine". But yes, I wish I had fun toys to play with too. *drools*screenprinting...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knit vs. Crochet - my crafty self: http://crochety.blogspot.com/
wist and swap info
mack. where my love of craft and love of food collide: http://mack.etsy.com
onetomatotwo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006 04:49:01 PM »

Synne, thanks for the "use it!" inspirations!

Okay... I opened my Screen printing "kit" last night for the first time (Hey! Opening it is a start!) Unfortunately, "kit" is a bit of a misnomer. They give me about 40% of the supplies I need in there... the rest are a pain to acquire (*this* is why not everyone screenprints, right?) I love it... there are 10 things in the box, then a big long list of what else you'll need.

I guess I'll try to make due with what I have for now... if it comes out horribly, I'll abandon it. At least I will have used it.

Anyone else tried using their stuff? Knitting kits? Sergers? Tomorrow is Friday and weekends are perfect for breaking this stuff out! My plan: dig around to find something else I'm not using and... use it!

Not sure about that screen printing... sigh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live on the west coast. She lives on the east coast. We discuss crafts in between. Right here: Trans-craft-inental.
cotneyroo
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006 05:14:28 PM »

Um. I have a 1950's Singer sewing machine that I bought three years ago and have never even plugged in to see if it worked. Or threaded it. Or anything. It just sits in the box. I think I was disappointed that it's brown rather than the avocado green of my dreams.

But, time to use it. Thanks for the inspiration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

boarderchic
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006 07:32:45 PM »

Synne, thanks for the "use it!" inspirations!

Okay... I opened my Screen printing "kit" last night for the first time (Hey! Opening it is a start!) Unfortunately, "kit" is a bit of a misnomer. They give me about 40% of the supplies I need in there... the rest are a pain to acquire (*this* is why not everyone screenprints, right?) I love it... there are 10 things in the box, then a big long list of what else you'll need.

I guess I'll try to make due with what I have for now... if it comes out horribly, I'll abandon it. At least I will have used it.

Anyone else tried using their stuff? Knitting kits? Sergers? Tomorrow is Friday and weekends are perfect for breaking this stuff out! My plan: dig around to find something else I'm not using and... use it!

Not sure about that screen printing... sigh.

What all comes in a screen printing kit?  are they expensive?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

onetomatotwo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006 08:30:07 PM »

What all comes in a screen printing kit?  are they expensive?

I don't know how much it was... it was a gift. Oh, wait! We have this fancy thing called the internet! Sooo... I just looked it up and it goes for about $40. It says "Super Value" on it, so I guess I shouldn't have expected too much.

I've done tons of reading and research about screen printing (and I'm sure some expert is going to read this post and think "That chick has no idea..." which is pretty much true. I understand it in theory but not in practice) and it seems like the things that this kit is missing would just make the process a lot better/more professional.

In a nutshell, I probably can use this kit to get some ink on some fabric in some shape, but it's probably not going to fulfill any grandiose dreams I might have about amazing screen-printed projects.

The kit includes:
- 10 in. x 14 in. screen frame
- fabric squeegee
- three 4 oz. jars of opaque fabric screen printing ink in pearlescent colors (silver, raspberry, and blue topaz)
- 4 oz. screen filler
- 4 oz. drawing fluid
- 4 oz. diazo photo emulsion
- 4 oz. diazo photo emulsion remover
- 1/2 gm diazo sensitizer
- #6 round brush
- instruction booklet

The instruction booklet is pretty good.

It claims to contain, "All the basics needed to start making fabric projects." So maybe I should just quite whining about how much better it could be and see if I can get some paint on fabric! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Synne

mack. cute but feisty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006 08:59:00 PM »

We can't wait to see the results! I'll live vicariously through your screenprinting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knit vs. Crochet - my crafty self: http://crochety.blogspot.com/
wist and swap info
mack. where my love of craft and love of food collide: http://mack.etsy.com
flrtingwdisaster
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006 05:14:55 PM »

Yup, pulled out the knitting kit. It's not really a knitting kit. It's yarn, needles, and a little booklet that's like "Okay do this, this, this and your DONE!" In the meantime, I'm still on step one and completely lost.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goldpaperstar

i love craftster.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006 07:36:54 PM »

it goes for about $40. It says "Super Value" on it, so I guess I shouldn't have expected too much.

mmm they have those at hobby lobby, and if you download a 40% off coupon from hobby lobby.com (there's not one every week, but fairly often) you can get it for almost half off. just thought i'd throw that out there.

oops, sorry. i've just supplied countless people with another tool that will sit in the closet for 3 years. if you follow my advice, promise me you'll use it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

distant though i am
orange, gold and green
firing, flaming
colors surround me

http://myspace.com/goldpaperstar
AnonymousContent
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2006 07:59:01 AM »

Oh my gosh....this is the bane of my existance! Not having enough time in the day to use ALL the goodies I have stuck here and there in my small studio.

I will make a point to pull something off the shelf to use that Ive been "wanting" to get to.

I have a Gwen Gibson stencil making kit for screening on polymer clay AND since the sun is now peeking out more this may be the perfect opp to use it since it has the sunshine is a key element.

Okay...now to find something of interest to make a stencil with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ralph
no... gone completely

The fat man walks alone.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006 10:32:50 PM »

I have to join this one...

I too have screen-printing supplies (a screen, a squeegee and some fabric inks) that I demanded for my birthday(the screen and squeegee) used once with acrylic paint, total disaters ensued, demanded fabric ink for christmas and have since done nothing. So maybe now I've joined this thread I will be inspired.

I've used photo-emulsion at uni and love it but know that even more disaters will occur if I use it at home so for now I'm just going to use 'old-fashioned' hand-cut stencils which seem to work pretty well. So maybe that would be a better place for you to start. You can cut the stencils out of contact(sticky-backed plastic), colours are better than clear but that works too,  then stick the stencil to your screen and print away!

Hope this was useful and that I too start printing!
-Ralph
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have decided that the hokey pokey is what it's all about.

Post a project on every completed project board on craftster: 30/39
Al-most-there.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=329582.msg3997110#msg3997110
kmac

kmac at art camp

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006 12:57:47 PM »

I can't think of any specific tools I haven't used - but lots of supplies I just had to have - that are sitting around waiting for me to get a roundtooit!
I will have to look and see what all there is when I get home.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dayzi

Proud momma of 2 Boston Terriers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2006 02:52:06 PM »

I'm with kmac, I have lots of supplies that I just never get to using, but had to have them at the time. I made 1 sock monkey posted here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=81273.0 that turned out more like a monster. Then started buying cool socks to make more, but never did. This might make me actually start tackling that bag of socks this week.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheShan
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2006 09:08:35 PM »

I haven't "gone there" with buying a screen-printing kit...yet, but I was thinking about which project kit I would commit to trying for the craft-along.
And then............
today I went to the Yarn Barn... a San Antonio shop with all types of needlework supplies. And the yarn is FRIGGIN EXQUISITE!!!

And I found a needle felting kit and a punch embroidery needle thingie. Shocked
Like I really needed anything else. Wink
Well, I am happy to say I completed my first felting project, the beginner one in the kit. I felted a watermelon slice onto a circle of felt.
I just still have to steam and press it, but I have NO desire to whip out the iron anymore tonight.

I had a great time, and thought "this isn't intimidating, at all."
I only poked myself three times, drawing blood twice....not bad  :)though. There is a nice thick foam block on which to pokey-pokey, so it wasn't like that one in another thread where someone went all the way through her finger.

So... I am feeling revved up.
When will the craft-along start???<pant,pant> Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Oh, and I will post a pic of my watermelon.... as soon as I read how to do that.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onetomatotwo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2006 08:58:02 AM »

This "craftalong" sort of started, then petered out... not sure if too many people got "motivated" beyond the first week or so that I posted this.

However, it looks like they're having way more motivation going on over at the "Let's get motivated" craftalong... making lists and reporting progress and such. Sooo... anyone looking to craftalong with some more motivated folks might want to head on over there and check things out:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=88137.0

THIS ROCKS   Logged

sickgrrl723
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2006 10:24:35 AM »

i have tons, and i mean TONS of beads to use for jewelry making... i think i should get on it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ralph
no... gone completely

The fat man walks alone.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2006 08:12:02 PM »

This craftalong is not dead!

Not the items I posted about but I finally made the necklace I've been planning on making for ages with these beautiful vintage fabric covered buttons.

Not the best pics but here are some action pics from my graduation:

Thanks for the inspiration guys!
-Ralph
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have decided that the hokey pokey is what it's all about.

Post a project on every completed project board on craftster: 30/39
Al-most-there.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=329582.msg3997110#msg3997110
SarahsALoser
The Duchess of Dork

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2006 01:02:46 PM »

I have a whole mess load of buttons that I bought with visions of granduer. I think it's time for me to use them for something crafty of .... well let them collect even more dust! thanks for inspiriing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can wist with the best of them.

I'm on LJ too find me, I'm SarahsALoser
Lingering_Kitten

Lover of pink!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2006 08:57:05 AM »

I, too, am in the I have a serger I don't use club.  A boy bought one for me over a year ago, and I've played with it once....

I really need to try and figure it out again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Laura's
Astounding
Unique
Reserve
Apparatus'
Supplying

Brain
Rousing
Angelic
Idea
Nuggets

Check out my wedding blog @ preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'engagement.sakuratenshi.com')
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 22/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 3/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 19/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 17/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 18/29
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...