A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,332
Currently Running With Scissors:
352 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chubby Cheerleaders  (Read 4841 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

millik
Cap'm of the Nerd Brigade

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: February 28, 2006 11:00:09 AM »

I was inspired by this Web site http://www.fatasspdx.com/ to start a radical cheerleading group for fat girls in my own town! I'm not sure if those girls are still an active group (quite a few outdated links on the ol' Web site...) but I think it is one of the best ideas I've seen in a long time Smiley

So, that being said, I thought I'd post on here to see:

a) if anyone here has been involved with radical cheerleading groups and could give me some tips on writing cheers and/or performing

and... on a more crafty note:

b) Does anyone have any awesome ideas for cheerleading outfits? Obviously, we're going to have to make our own because I kind of doubt you can get them at the uniform store in a size 24 or higher. Wink

Let the brainstorming begin!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mia0987
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006 03:38:52 PM »

Well, I've never been a radical fat cheerleader, though I am radical and fat, hehe.  I was, however, on the dance team in jr high and we wore cheerleaderesque outfits and I was bigger then than I am now.  I was nervous about the costume thing before I joined, but turns out, there must be a lot of fat cheerleaders across small town america because the uniform company offered up to a size 24 or 26.  They also had custom sizes, which I got cuz , hey, it was jr high, I didn't have boobs to match my size 20 ass yet.  Anyways, if you wanna go the uniform route, its worth looking into.  Sorry I don't know the name of the company though.  It would be much cheaper to just make or buy skirts and a tank you can draw a logo on.  Good luck with your squad! I would totally join if you were in my town.  I hope ya let us now how the uniforms turn out
THIS ROCKS   Logged
millik

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006 06:19:35 PM »

Woohoo! Thanks for the support! Yeah, I am pretty poor, so buying a real cheerleading uniform is probably out of my league. We have a friend who used to be a seamstress, so I am banking on bribing her to help us out a little with costume design and sewing.

Oddly enough, I am excited about trying to squeeze my fat butt into a cheerleading outfit. The part I'm quite nervous about is the actual cheerleading. I have never done anything remotely like cheerleading, unless you count mocking the Spartan Spirit routines with my sister during the SNL commercial breaks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jasmine_xoxo

I live in terror of not being misunderstood -Wilde

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006 10:05:04 PM »

I live in Portland! This town is insane and I love it.
Rah Rah Rah
Siss Boom Bah!
Goooooo Team!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006 01:03:13 AM »

i think fatass is becoming active again, one of my friends in portland was just talking about it last week, they went to a meeting or something.

i've been talkin to various people about starting one here, because our old radical cheerleader group kinda disappeared, and vancouver desperately needs some more fat positive shit going on. i'm really excited to wear mini tutus instead of cheerleader skirts!     
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
starlette13
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006 02:39:13 AM »

i whole heartedly agree, i hate that you can't go anywhere downtown without seeing the annorexic sl#)$^(&$#^.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

millik

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006 11:52:53 AM »

I'm excited to hear that the Portland group is starting up again... I'm going to try sending them an e-mail and see if I can get any tips on good cheers.

In the meantime... maybe I should mention that I live in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area, so if there are any fat girls who want to preach the size acceptance gospel with me in the Midwest, speak up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

girlypirate
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

my arms are too short to box with God.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006 11:57:00 AM »

look up seamstresses in your area.  if you purchase the fabric yourself, you can typically find someone in the area to sew for you.  it'll be a touch more expensive, but the end result will be tailored to fit each girl's unique curves, which is something hard to find in any size rtw clothing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dyabolica

Gaze into my eyes and submit to my puppy dominion!

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006 10:00:58 AM »

Being a football mom of over 10 years I can say this company goes up to 2x and they are easy to work with.
 http://sportsteam.com/cheerleading-supplies/cheerstockuniforms.shtml
My daughter was a plus sized cheerleader ( she made squad captain so booyah skinny girls ), she quit though because her brother kept getting into confrontations with people over their rude comments, hes very protective. Adults were the worst! I heard alot of shes to big for that, even though she did all the moves as well or better then the skinny girls, and there was a lot of drama when she made captain. I like to think people like that come back as dung beetles in their next life....

THIS ROCKS   Logged

R.I.P Jon 7.15.07 I will never get over losing you!
End the war in Iraq, we have lost enough our
Fathers, Mothers, Sons and Daughters! I won't be on Craftster for a while, I am just not feeling creative.
a besoin de parler
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006 01:32:26 PM »

My friends and I had a radical cheer squad waaay back in middle school.  There were only six of us, and I guess only two of us were "fat", but we were still fucking rad.

Our uniforms consisted of black skirts and tie died tee shirts, with pompoms made from black garbage bags.  We also tied shredded garbage bags in our hair like ribbons and around our wrists and elsewhere.

Our only performance was at a school dance, and no one watched.  So we printed out copies of our cheers and posted them inside bathroom stalls.  Later we saw girls stealing them and posting them in their lockers.  We were pretty proud.

We wrote most of our own stuff, but there's a lot out on the web too.  I wish you the best of luck!!  Be progressive!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Halloween Hair Color Tip
How to Make Your Hair Grow Faster
HAI-SST Blow Dryer Review
The Difference Between Using Gel and Mousse
The Myth of Using Beer as Natural Hair Shine Product
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Toddler Teething Cookies
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...