A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
444 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafting with Change  (Read 16317 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Spork
« on: June 26, 2004 03:52:07 PM »

I thought that I'd throw this out there since I'm pretty new and have already picked up a lot of awesome pointers from this board and wanted to give a little one of mine.

Pennies can be a hell of a lot of fun. Go to a hardware store like Harbor Freight (my favorite- and always an inspiration) and pick up an industrial handpunch for metal. It's less than 20 bucks and comes with multiple punch sizes. Punch some holes in pennies and have fun! Here's a wristband that I made- you can make all kinds of jewelry- earrings, even handbags or "change" purses  Cheesy if you want to. This is the one I kept for myself- but they look even better when you have 3 rows in thick leather and use laces to tie it corset-style rather than snaps.

One more thing- if you want all shiny pennies, or to do a checkerboard-type pattern, childhood science experiments tell me that salt and vinegar clean your dirty copper wonderfully- don't leave them in the concoction too long, or they turn black with green build-up (which is also cool). In addition- sprinkle the concoction on the pennies, then wash it off for polka dot pennies.

Have fun!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Crafty Jule
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2004 04:27:05 PM »

Thats pretty cool!   I love the idea of polka dot pennies too! Once oyu have the holes in the pennies you can use them like bottons to do some of the buttom braclets suggested here!  =)
Off to wash my pennies!
Jule
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Darkest_Faerie
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2004 06:49:54 PM »

Are you allowed to deface the guy on the coin??? Because I know you're not allowed to deface the queen...(Canadian coins)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-See my photography here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceylheureux/
-Visit my blog here: http://tinystarcreations.blogspot.com/
-Check out my zazzle site here:
http://www.zazzle.com/paper_airplane*
quarkiegirl

Keep it loose, keep it tight.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2004 06:59:27 PM »

yeah, i'm pretty sure we're allowed to deface abraham lincoln...like those squished penny machines.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=6961.0
super cool idea! i need some penny buttons!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Spork
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2004 07:16:53 PM »

Yeah- I used to think the same thing, but you can squish them and but them with hearts or angels punched in them, so I guess so.  Undecided You can make charm bracelets out of the ones you go and have formed at theme parks and such.

I actually wanted to get coins from the UK when working on these, but they're not even allowed to leave the country.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Spork
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2004 07:21:09 PM »

LOL- I guess that charm bracelets were already stated in the other thread.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quarkiegirl

Keep it loose, keep it tight.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2004 08:32:15 PM »

I actually wanted to get coins from the UK when working on these, but they're not even allowed to leave the country.

really? i have a bunch of 1p and 2p coins from when i was there a couple years ago. i never knew it was illegal! anyhoo, i'd be willing to trade some for a few hole-punched US pennies. send me a PM if you're interested. Smiley

edited to add that i have 17 1p coins and 8 2p's.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2004 08:34:23 PM by quarkiegirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Smurfette

lemonlimedesign.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2004 08:39:39 PM »

wow Spork (cute name btw  Smiley ) I love your bracelet.
I guess I have to go find me a metal puch thingy now so I can try this.

thanks for posting Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

faith is the substance of things hoped for the evidence of things not yet seen

http://lemonlimedesign.etsy.com
ForevrBee
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2004 07:10:40 AM »

Cool Bracelet! Now I know what to use for the punching. I allways wanted to do that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Damn the Man, Save the Empire!"
  ~Mark, Empire Records
arizabif
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2004 12:33:42 PM »

I left England with a pocket full of coins, and no one at customs stopped me.  I know you can't exchange foreign coins for American currency, but that is because of bank policies, and not any law, (a bag of coins is very heavy, so it's not cost effective to be shipping them around the world).  You also cannot bring large sums of cash out of a country, but you'd have to be bringing tens of thousands of pounds to be busted for that. Wink 

Cool bracelet, btw.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...