A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
607 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Whole (toddler) outfit from just one shirt?? TUT added 3/13/06!!  (Read 15855 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jutybo
« on: February 27, 2006 05:17:11 PM »

Pic-heavy tutorial is at the bottom of this page.

My friend gave me an old long-sleeved green and white striped shirt that was just collecting dust (it was 2 sizes too small for me) until I was inspired by pleaseelise's hats found here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=72335.0
Then I noticed the uber-cool (geeky?) elbow pads on the sleeves and heard them say "make me into baby-pant knee pads"
Then it occurred to me that the neckhole was a little small for an adult-sized shirt, and just might work as the neckhole of a toddler shirt...
eh voila:

The sleeve-pants are really long bc I didn't measure my little guy's legs (he was napping and I was lazy), so they fit him rolled-up now, and should fit for awhile yet.  See the knee pads?   Roll Eyes

And here's my babe modeling what my husband calls his jailbird outfit:

I must have caught him mid-blink or something... or maybe he's looking at the cat... It was really hard to get a pic of him with all of it on because he CAN'T STAND the hat.  Oh well- I love it!
So, what do YOU think???
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006 11:21:08 AM by jutybo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
BethyG

bang bang bang. the bigger, the better.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006 05:35:18 PM »

very nice! i want to make something for mine... well he's not mine but all the old ladies think he could be. he's my brother but he's 2 and i'm almost 17. they give me the funnyest looks...
anwyays- what size was the shirt in the first place?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The boys i mean are not refined
They cannot chat of that and this
They do not give a fart for art
They kill like you would take a piss
They speak whatever's on their mind
They do whatever's in their pants
The boys i mean are not refined
They shake the mountains when they dance
krandui

I can be a complicated communicator...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006 05:37:38 PM »

Cute outfit!! Great job!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jutybo
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006 05:46:52 PM »

very nice! i want to make something for mine... well he's not mine but all the old ladies think he could be. he's my brother but he's 2 and i'm almost 17. they give me the funnyest looks...
anwyays- what size was the shirt in the first place?
That's hilarious!  Cheesy
The shirt was a J.Crew "Small"... but I don't know if it was a men's or women's.  Judging by the neckhole size it must have been a women's, but then again it was a long shirt (wish I had a before pic) like the rugby shirts of the 90s, so maybe it was a men's???  If your little model's 2, then just about any adult/juniors sized long-sleeved shirt should work.  It might not be long enough to get the hat out of the bottom hem, but you could always cut two hat pieces out of the sides of the shirt and hem them like normal if you even wanted a hat anyways.
Thanks for your post!!  Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
baby-bumblebee
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006 05:59:49 PM »

I Love it!!! Great job. Do you have a tort? I might be able to wing it. DH and I just went thru or closets so i have a ton to work with!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my very first blog!

http://sassy-pixie.blogspot.com/
jutybo
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006 09:33:49 AM »

Wow, it's taken me forever to respond!  I just found another shirt to make another set with, and will gladly take pics (my camera was uncooperative for the past week) along the way and post a tut sometime in the next couple of days.  Sorry for the delay in my response, I'll have that tut up soon!   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006 09:41:40 AM »

wow, that's really cute!  i've done bunches of these kind of outfits for my own child--so many that i give most of them away--i will be so sad when my baby is too big to wear sleeve pants.

(i have a couple of ella's outfits on my rostitchery website, i need to post more, before she really is too big for them).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do:  www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
daydreamer
Dream dreams. Always.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006 10:25:45 AM »

"His jailbird outfit".............*laughs* That is too adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SapphireWind
Who needs money? My man does DISHES!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006 02:02:35 PM »

Oh my gosh that is soooo cute!

Christy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shirring Video Tutorial(dress) (Elastic Thread)http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=89421.0
Info About me for swap partners :-)http://home.comcast.net/~sapphirestitches/[/url
jutybo
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006 11:17:08 AM »

Thanks everyone for your wonderful comments and patience!  The love-hate relationship between my camera and my laptop is back into the "love" phase, so here's the tute for the pants.   
Why just the pants? The link to the hat-making tute is at the top of the first post of this thread, and to make the shirt you just outline an existing little shirt over your soon-to-be-reconned big shirt, cut around it, and sew the sides together inside-out.  Hem the bottom and the armholes (or add ribbing/bias tape made from a strip of fabric from the same shirt) and you're done, since the neckhole is already there.  If you look for resized shirts in this board, there are many other Craftsters who explain this better than I can, and they have some great pics, too!    Smiley
On to the tutorial:

The short version for those who recon stuff all the time:
1. Trace pant to sleeve.  Flip over and repeat on other sleeve.
2.  Sew up the crotch.
3. Put in your waist elastic.
4. Done!

The long version for the rest of us:
If you already have a pair of pants roughly the size of the ones you want to make, find them.  If you don't, you can totally just wing it.
1. Lay your first shirt sleeve out nice and flat, and place the folded up pair of existing pants over it.  I wanted to make pants that were bigger than what I already had, so I placed them up higher on the sleeve.  If you want shorter ones, just place them lower.  Then cut around them, starting by the crotch and then up over the waist (unless you're a lefty- then you might find it easier to cut from the waist first- just remember not to cut into what will be your inseam after you get to the crotch area).  If you don't have an existing pair of pants, just cut this same rough shape: 

2. Now set your existing pair of pants aside, and focus only on the recon.  Ah, sweet victory over store-bought clothes... I mean, lay your recently cut sleeve/pant over your remaining uncut sleeve mirror-style (meaning you have to flip your cut sleeve over before you put it on your uncut sleeve) so that your cuffs line up.  Cut around it so that you have two pieces like so:

3.  Sew your two pant legs up (right sides together) starting with whichever side you want to be the back.  Actually, it doesn't matter where you start, but the way I see it if I start at the back, I'll have figured out how to make a decent stitch by the time I get to the front.  Either way, you've made one seam that goes down towards the crotch and then back up from it (i.e. you stitched on the curved line of the pants, not the straight line of the waist part).  A picture is worth a thousand words:

In the above pic, the scissors point to where you start sewing.  All I did in between this pic and the last one was slide my pants legs closer together and fold down the front flap of each piece.  It will make total sense when you're making yours, and if not, PM me- I'll be glad to elaborate.
After you sew the crotch seam, you should have something that looks like pants!

With an unfinished waist seam, that is.  In my case, it helped to trim off the top to make it even:

4. Put in your waist elastic.  There are tons of ways to do this, but the way I like is by making a casing, so I'll show you that here.  First, I fold over about 1/4 inch of the waistline towards the inside of the pants and sew a line all the way around (like the first part of a hem).  Then, I get my piece of elastic.  I think the stuff I used was about 3/4 of an inch wide (use any you like/have on hand), and at rest it was shorter than the waist by about an inch or so, so that it could stretch plenty w/o being too tight on baby or falling off his diaper.  The nice thing about making a casing for your elastic is that the elastic isn't sewn in, meaning if you don't like the finished product, you can just cut a small hole on the inside of the pants waist, cut and pull your elastic out, then fish a different sized piece back in until you like the fit.  Now that you have your elastic, sew the ends together (with several seams, nice and tight) so that you have a loop.  Put part of the loop inside the pants, near the waist edge, then fold over the top of the waistline to totally cover the elastic PLUS your previously sewn seam.  In effect, you will be sewing directly overtop the first waistline seam, and NOT sewing over any elastic, like yay:

5. You're done!  Lay out your uber-cool new sleeve pants (thanks to craftster rostitchery for that great term!!) next to your original pants and admire your work.

Please let me know if I've missed something, or if you make these and know a better way- especially if you correct me on something, I'll feel like my toes have been painted instead of stepped on.   Grin
Happy sleeve-panting,
Julia

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Zombie Makeup for Halloween
How to Make Your Own Skin-Saving Cloth Mask to Alleviate Dry Skin
Mastering the Classic Red Lip with DJ Chelsea Leyland
Your Winter Moisturizing Routine From Head to Toe
How To Do a Glam Foundation Routine
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...