A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,567
Currently Running With Scissors:
546 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitty's Starsky Knit-A-Long?  (Read 20121 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eja615
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006 11:15:48 AM »

I'm thinking that the Starsky pattern is really all about the pattern--the lines and complex cables.  Handpaintedyarn.com's yarns are so pretty (or so I've been told, I haven't used it--yet), you might want to use them for a simpler pattern, where the beautiful qualities of the yarn can be exhibited, rather than obscured by the pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chee
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2006 02:51:10 PM »

I am seriously considering this project- and so are several members of my knitting circle.  But, I was wondering about the knit pics sierra yarn... I've never used Knitpics... and was wondering about the quality and how it will hold up.  I would hate to spend the time on this project and then realize the yarn is icky. 

So... can I have a yarn review from those that have used the sierra in the past- or those that are using it currently?

Thanks!  Can't wait to see progress on your Starsky's!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AWynkoop
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006 03:08:14 PM »

Argg...so many pretty things to knit, and too little time! I also love love love this, but I think it may have to wait for fall! I am looking forward to a sunny NC spring, but then again this would be great for night time beach walks.
First of all, do you think handspun stuff (you know, not totally uniform) would work well for a cabled sweater?
Handspun really does not really work too well with cables, you really do need a tighter twisted, consistant sized yarn to make the cables really pop. That being said both yarns are very pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would like to swap my knits (or amigurumi stuffies) for your handmade journal...pm me!

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.~Winston Churchill
designdiva18
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2006 03:19:09 PM »

My cables were really melting into the yarn and I didn't like how much work was going to go into the cables when you couldn't see them. I love my yarn though, So I have worked up part of the back using a chunkier cable and it looks really nice. I love the shape of this jacket, but perhaps the banana tree cable was a bit too much for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aunt Suzi
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2006 03:32:52 PM »

Thanks for the input!  Ok, no handpaintedyarn.  For this project.  (I think I'm crazy to take this on, but the only way I *would* get through it is with a KAL!)

To chee: My experience with knitpicks has generally been good.  Definitely not crappy yarn.  But not the best money can by, either.  I don't know how well it holds up over time, but a project I made with Merino Style started to fuzz sooner than I would like.  Could be no big deal, though.  I am *in love* with their Andean Silk.  But probably not appropriate for this project.

Designdiva--what kind of yarn are you using?  Too bad the leafy cable didn't work out, but will be a great sweater with any cable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

designdiva18
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2006 06:23:16 PM »

I'm cheap and I kliked the sparkle.. so I am using Lion Brand wool ease. Anything completely wool or other animal fiber makes me itch like crazy. Wool ease doesn't bug me though. I had a bunch of the white with a sparkle thread in it and the gauge came out right so I thought -- why not. But the cables were completely lost...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scarletkittycat
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2006 08:39:21 PM »

Its taken me a few days but i'm finaly done with the back and am now starting on the sides.

anyway heres a pic of my progress, i've layed it out an pinned it in a few places so i could get a better pic.

The cables probely arn't as well defined in the black but i'm pleased with it
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010 02:57:28 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kibblesandknits

My LYS is located at the back of my bedroom closet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2006 10:51:03 PM »

scarlet! looks awesome so far !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AWynkoop
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2006 07:42:13 AM »

scarletkittycat ohhh, I am jealous already! that is going to be so pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would like to swap my knits (or amigurumi stuffies) for your handmade journal...pm me!

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.~Winston Churchill
scarletkittycat
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2006 09:17:05 AM »

Embarrassed Thank you. I was really motivated to get the sides started last night so i spent most of the evening working on the back, the only parts that was alittle difficult were the shaping for the arm hole and then again at the top where you are binding off for the neck line, you suddenly find yourself having a section that doesn't start at the beginning of the pattern so you have to figure out exactly where on the chart is your starting point, does that make any sense?

Hopefully I'll get alot of the first side done tonight, my husband is working security at the snowmobile races tonight so I'll have the apartment to myself, i work alot quicker withought him inspecting my knitting every 20 min, he has no intrest in learning but it still seems to fascinate him.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006 09:18:47 AM by scarletkittycat » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fettuccini Pizza Casserole Recipe
Mashed Potato and Ham Casserole Recipe
Scarborough Fare Boneless Pork Chops Recipe
Barbecue Bean Bake Recipe
Brown Sugar Glazed Ham Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...