A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,926
Currently Running With Scissors:
438 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TOO BIG IN THE CROTCH  (Read 2642 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

**Jade**
« on: February 27, 2006 11:23:19 AM »

I've got about 5 pairs of slacks that are too big in the crotch and I don't know how to BEGIN to alter them... anyone know of a tutorial or can anyone explain it to me... I really don't want to pay someone $15 bucks a pair when I know one of you guys could probably help me out
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006 11:42:13 AM »

Honestly, I think you'd be lucky to find someone who would fix them for you for $15 a pair.  I'm taking a patterning class right now, and the crotch is a VERY tricky area to fit.  You basically need to scoop out the crotch seam, which means you're probably going to end up needing to move the zipper, as well as the inseams.  Unless you spent a lot of money on these slacks, I'm not necessarily sure that it's worth the hassle. 

Of course, if you're up for the challenge, and willing to accept that you might end up f-ing them up worse than they already are, it might be worth it.  Perhaps you could find a pair of pants that fit properly, and compare the two crotch curves, and then go from there?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
jAdEPoPpY3
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006 05:31:01 PM »

Sounds like I should let someone do it huh? The thing is I didn't pay hardly anything for them.... found them thrift shopping... I hate to ruin the bargin but they're no good if I can't wear them
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006 09:02:53 AM »

are you saying they hang down too low between your legs?  if so, that is easy to fix:

turn the pants inside out, lay them flat, then seam from one thigh to the other, crossing the crotch seam, and taking up as ONE-HALF the amount you need to remove.  (in other words, if they hang down 2" too low, seam them only 1" deep, because you will be taking 1" from both the front and the back).

the seam will be tapered, so that when you are at the thigh, you have removed almost no width.

i would suggest you baste this first and try the pants on to see how they fit, but understand that the basting will partly inhibit your range of motion (you won't get the full fit until you trim the excess fabric after sewing).

this alteration will make the legs marginally longer, so you might need to adjust the length once you are done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do: www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
**Jade**
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006 10:02:40 AM »

rostitchery YOU ARE A GOD SEND!!! Thanks so much I"m going to go home and try it... let's see what happens as I paid less than $5 for most of them so there will be no REAL loss just a good bargin gone to waste or to a skirt.... Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jacktastic
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006 11:25:52 AM »

this reminded me of the old Wonder Years episode where Kevin goes shopping for pants and his mother says so the whole store can hear, "I THINK THEY'RE TOO BIG IN THE CROTCH."  ahahahahaha. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jAdEPoPpY3
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006 08:54:22 PM »

Ok I tried the suggestion of sewing across the crotch from one thigh to the other.... Yeah works in theory but not in practice... I'm getting a lot of bunching and it's not looking too pretty... UGH!!! I'm SOOO frustrated any other suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amaz0n
pirate queen

They're more like guidelines.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006 10:54:35 PM »

I second this problem.  I, too, need help tailoring the crotch on a pair of pants and don't have the money to have them professionally altered.

I feel like I should know enough about sewing to do this myself, but I don't even know where to begin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sage (a.k.a. "amaz0n") -- Vox, Leave None Alive
http://www.myspace.com/leavenonealivemusic
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006 08:13:03 AM »

Ok I tried the suggestion of sewing across the crotch from one thigh to the other.... Yeah works in theory but not in practice... I'm getting a lot of bunching and it's not looking too pretty... UGH!!! I'm SOOO frustrated any other suggestions?

it works in practice too, i do it all the time.

have you trimmed the excess fabric from the seam after sewing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do: www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
**Jade**
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006 09:10:36 AM »

Yep but no luck still looks REALLY silly
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ashley Greene Goes Blonde
The Modern Chignon Tutorial
Hair Tips: How To Use Dry Shampoo The Right Way
Hair Trend: Edgy Slick Up-Do
The Monday Makeover - 1940s Hollywood Waves With Eugene Souleiman
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...