A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
453 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Polymer clay Bullseye Cane mint tin.  (Read 13789 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

madchandler
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2006 07:13:03 AM »

Beautifully done!! So what's your next polymer clay project? I can't wait to find out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
le_coiffeur04
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2006 11:18:43 AM »

this looks like a great first time project I am gonna try it I think. yours looks great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Polybeadry
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2006 10:24:51 AM »

I love the earrings and the altoids tin!
I have a question though...what do you use your covered tins for? Because I've covered tins for gifts for friends who use them all the time and the clay starts to flake off or just breaks up from repeated opening and closing and bending of the metal. Do yours do that too?
That tin is just so cool and pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty.Old.Hipster?
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2006 10:20:39 AM »

the clay starts to flake off or just breaks up from repeated opening and closing and bending of the metal.

That shouldn't happen as long as certain things are kept in mind. 

First, brittle clays like Sculpey III can't be used for thin applications like this if there will be stress on them later... they will break.  Using a stronger (more flexible) clay like Premo, FimoClassic, or Kato Polyclay should work fine.

Also, this isn't necessary to do if the clay will have a "mechanical" hold on the lid, but some people like to paint the tin with white glue (not "school" white glue) then let it dry, before adding the clay (...clean surfaces with alcohol first to make sure no oil from fingers, dirt, etc.). 
"White glues" are polyvinyl acetate so they do several good things:
...bond with the clay during baking, act as a temperature buffer between the clay and the metal while baking (because they expand at different rates), and also act as a cushion after the clay is baked because they remain flexible.

(One problem can be the hinge area though, so the hinge should be free of clay in its whole swing.)

Also, having some kind of knob or thick or projecting area built onto the front of the lid can help with opening it too... takes stress off the covering, or at least spreads it out, etc.

Not exactly sure if "flaking" off is different from breaking though... if so, could you define that a little more?  (clay shouldn't flake off unless any bonds made weren't sufficient, or brittle clays were used)

Diane B.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008 10:33:02 AM by batgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Mimi055
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2006 05:42:44 AM »

Cute!! What is a clay gun?  I have worked with polymer clay in the past but never heard of a clay gun,  Thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mAsQuErAdInG aS A nOrMaL pErSoN eVeRyDaY iS eXhAuStInG!!!
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2006 02:00:43 PM »

What is a clay gun?

A clay gun is a metal extruder originally used with soft earth clay... we started using them with polymer clay too,  The ones you can find in a craft store, etc., have a fairly small barrel, but there are also some with large and humongous barrels. 
There are various brands of clay guns too.

They come with various metal disks which fit in the end (most guns come with about 20), each of which has a hole in its center in the shape of a round disk or a square or triangle, etc.... the clay is pushed through that hole and comes out as a long log of round or triangular, etc., clay. These extrusions can be used in various ways... to frame pendants, as onlays, to do Balinese Filigree patterns, to make or add to canes, to twist, etc., etc., and also to create "automatically wrapped" canes when more than one color is put in the barrel as done here. 

It's important to know that any polymer clay extruded through a clay gun must be soft, or softened first, or it will extrude very slowly and possibly even push out or bend the pattern disk ... and it can also be very hard on your hands!  (they were intended for earth clays, remember!)
Many people like to make or buy a "helper" or "pusher" for the regular clay gun so it's easier to extrude the clay, especially when a larger amount is needed... these come as different types too, and a few clay guns you can find online have built-in pushers.

Oh, and btw, they ordinary clay guns you'll find in a craft store are pretty cheap... about $10.

There's a load of info on clay guns on this page ... different types and brands, pushers, things one can do with them, how to clean them, etc.:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/claygun.htm

HTH,

Diane B.
GlassAttic....polymer clay "encyclopedia" http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
little bit'o photosharing: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dianeatglassattic/my_photos
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006 02:11:54 PM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
7 Ways to Wear a Head Scarf
How to French Fishtail Braid
Fix Hat Hair for Good with These Easy Tips
How To Clip In Hair Extensions
Colored Hair Extensions Add A Splash Of Style: Hair Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...