A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,806
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A warm gift for a SAD time  (Read 4845 times)
Tags for this thread: shawl , wrap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mllemegan
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2006 01:06:34 PM »

I'm so sorry your family lost someone.  You gave me a great idea.  My grandma's far away too, she has Alzheimer an she broke her hip two months ago, I think that could be a great present...The problem is that I have only done scarfs....does anybody know where to find a good tutorial to learn how to do an easy shawl ?

I am not the fastest knitter, either, so I am making my grandmother the Airy Scarf from Last-Minute Knitted Gifts.  It is a pretty simple pattern and is made out of super-soft mohair. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
bird nerd
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2006 08:26:49 PM »

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. What a lovely gesture though.

I too have a bit of a sad story. My mums best friend had basically had cancer for as long as I knew her, about 8 years. Last year, it flared up badly and she had to go back into treatment. However, despite all her problems/complications, the doctor said she would recover fine and had several years left. I made her a toy kitty cat as her "celebration cat", as she had survived and everything was going to be okay. Unfortunately, the doctor was wrong and within 2 weeks she was seriously sick. She died a few months later. The kitty still sits on top of their tv Sad She was only 46. After she died, however, I made her daughter her own kitty and she has it in memory of her mum Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

emzylla
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2006 10:44:08 PM »

The shawl and the kitties are so sweet.

I have a friend who just had a miscarriage. I had bought a bunch of beautifully soft lavender yarn to surprise her with a baby blanket, but now I think I will turn it into a pretty scarf to give her. Of course I won't ever tell her so she can just wear the scarf and be warm and happy without sad associations.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
joesherryw
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2006 11:29:21 PM »

You did such a lovely job on the shawl, and I'm sure your mother will appreciate it. My mother died very suddenly almost two years ago from complications after a masectomy, she was 43. I had a very hard time with it because we had just moved to AK from Boston and I couldn't be there for her, I did make it for the funeral but the one thing I learned was there are no words that will make you feel better. I think that that gift is the most appropriate, thoughtful gift she could have right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sara spelled without an h
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2006 09:22:32 AM »

That shawl is beautiful.

I'm sorry about your loss, but the shawl can give your mom the hug that you aren't able to give her right now.
That is a pattern that I have been looking at, not sure if I wanted to add it to my list of things to make, but after seeing your version I've decided it's definitely going on the list!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's kick off our shoes
And wade through the night
The air's so warm
The moon just right
We'll sing to the stars
And dance by their light
artsygal

Come see my yarns!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2006 12:18:43 PM »

I'm so sorry your family lost someone.  You gave me a great idea.  My grandma's far away too, she has Alzheimer an she broke her hip two months ago, I think that could be a great present...The problem is that I have only done scarfs....does anybody know where to find a good tutorial to learn how to do an easy shawl ?

This is a shawl I made last year - it's fairly easy but looks just lovely. The pattern is quite easy to memorize and if you use a subtly varigated yarn like homespun (which I know not everyone likes.. i'm not crazy about it either, but it was the perfect yarn for this item) it stripes up beautifully.  The homespun makes it so soft and cuddly.. I'd say that you most definately could describe it as a knitted hug. It uses a crochet finishing, but if you don't  crochet you could easily change it and just do a plain bind off or a picot edging which would look just as good.

Here's a pic of the one I made.. I think it shows it better than the photo on the website..

More pics at: http://www.artsygal.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=8&pos=2

And to everyone who's made such wonderful gifts for thosethey love to show they're thinking of them.. what a wonderful way to show your love and care. A gift like that is sure to comfort the recipient.

Jas
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handpaints by Artsygal - a collection of unique and inspired handpainted yarns - is now open for business! Visit www.artsygal.net to see my yarns for yourself!
panda-monium
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2006 11:09:26 PM »

that's a beautiful shawl and a very sweet gift. i think you deserve a hug too  Wink

when my paternal grandmother passed away, i made my dad a sock monkey. we are all kind of private people in my family so it was a way to let him know that i wanted to be there for him.
a couple years after that, he passed away in an accident. when i heard the news, i was in montreal while the rest of my family was in toronto. i didn't know what to do with myself and felt compelled to make a sock monkey to put in his coffin so that a part of me would always be with him...
it's weird but it really helped to deal at the time and in retrospect, i think there was a lot of symbolic value to it too in terms of how i have changed as a person since then.

anyway, here are some not-so-great pictures of it:

and since we're on the topic of making things, my dad made this for me and brought it home one day. i thought it was sweet then but now i *really* treasure it  <3

sorry if that was long - but i think this is a great topic. art is such a powerful way to deal with sadness and grief!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006 11:12:57 PM by panda-monium » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewberrycrazy
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2006 04:01:15 PM »

panda-monium:  what a wonderful story, in a bitter-sweet way.   I love both the monkey and the gift your dad made.. beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
-Keiko-

Fear the small, cute ones... >)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2006 11:14:26 PM »

I finished this shawl about a month ago, and was going to give it to my Mom in April for her birthday.  Well, she called me this morning and told me my Grandmother (her Mother) died last night.  My family is on the west coast, I'm on the east, and I won't be able to go home for the funeral.  So, I decided to send this to her now as a BIG HUG from me, because I know that's what she really needs right now.   I just wish I could be there to do it in person instead.   Sad

Have any of you given crafted gifts for sad occasions?

Beautiful!

Yeah, my boyfriend's father was in the last stages of ALS... to make him a little bit more comfortable, I made him a crochet pillow out of a really pretty dark blue.  Then, I attached a handle to one side (so it could hang off of his wheelchair).  Kinda sad though, he only used it for like acouple months.... he died last December 9th.  It's sweet that you made that for your mom.  I'm sure it ill be like a huge comfort to her.  =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ashestoashes

you'd better not mess with major tom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2006 10:45:47 AM »

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. However, that is a gorgeous shawl, and I'm sure your mom will love it. I love the pattern as well and am printing it now to make one for myself. *hug for you and your family*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists

I dig personal swaps.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Judith Viorst Talks About Unexpectedly Eighty
Bernie and Chet Fetch a Thief Book Trailer
Roz Savage Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Meet Supermodel Daisy Fuentes
The Lost Kings Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...