A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
368 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A warm gift for a SAD time  (Read 5003 times)
Tags for this thread: shawl , wrap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KnitterMa
Hey, Nice Veins.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006 02:49:34 PM »

I'm so sorry your family lost someone.  I think your shawl is a wonderful way to let your Mom know you love her in this difficult time.  Beautiful work by the way. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kiwimum
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006 03:08:56 PM »

The shawl is beautiful, and so is the idea.  I am sure your mother will treasure it all her life.
I think it is very meaningful to give something you have made yourself at times when you haven't words to say what you feel.  I make prayer shawls too, and I know the recipients find them hugely comforting.
My sympathies to you & your family
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tejer
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2006 04:56:29 PM »

It is a beautiful and thoughtful gift. I am also sorry for your loss and sorry that you cannot be with your family at this time, but your knitting is such a beautiful expression of yourself and your love that it is sure to mean the world to your mother.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mllemegan
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006 08:54:56 PM »

Such a good idea...you inspired me to make something for my grandmother (my grandfather just died and I couldn't make it to the funeral--they live in Boston and I live in Portland, OR).

Thanks for the inspiration.  I am sure your mother will love the shawl.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
sachis2112
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2006 11:23:36 PM »

I'm so sorry to hear you lost someone.  I know that the thing that meant the most to me when I was in mourning was to know that people were thinking of me.  It's still cold out so having this lovely shawl will help mom worry about one less thing in her life.  She won't even have to think about what to cover up with.  Whether it clashes with her outfit or not, I'm sure this will be the thing she grabs on the way out of her house because it reminds her that she's loved.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

martmer
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2006 04:29:17 AM »

I'm so sorry your family lost someone.  You gave me a great idea.  My grandma's far away too, she has Alzheimer an she broke her hip two months ago, I think that could be a great present...The problem is that I have only done scarfs....does anybody know where to find a good tutorial to learn how to do an easy shawl ?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stringy
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2006 05:38:12 AM »

I think your shawl is a lovely idea. It is sad, but it's a way of showing your love in a tangible way even though you can't be there.

Last year I knitted a tea-cosy for my MIL, from yarn her mother (my guy's grandmother) left to me when she died. Receiving the yarn was very sad, but made me feel honoured and loved. My MIL suggested that I make the tea-cosy using something from the stash, and I found in there a big skein that is exactly MIL's favourite colour - grandmother must have bought it with her in mind. MIL loved the tea-cosy because it came from her mother's yarn (and also I hope because it's a good tea-cosy), and has been using it and showing it to visitors. It was a sad situation, but also it was very satisfying and a good way to work off my sadness.

/hijack - I'm not a religious person myself, but my own mother is - what's a prayer shawl? I'm thinking my mum might like one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sachis2112
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2006 11:22:19 AM »

I think prayer shawls go back to the Jewish tradition, before Christ was born.  It's a rather wide rectangle that usually has fringe.  The number of knots tied in the fringe or throughout the shawl is often representative of the 12 original Jewish tribes  However I understand it's popular in Christianity as well.  I'm not religious either so I'm not 100% sure on all that.  Here's a link to a pattern for you.  It's a "for purchase" but at least you can see what it looks like.
http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/khs-prayerShawl.html
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006 11:28:46 AM by sachis2112 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkflamingos88
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2006 06:59:02 PM »

Thats a fabulous shawl, and I hope that you intend to send it to her now, instead of waiting until April..

An idea for something nice to do, would maybe be to knit a bag and fill it with comfort foods, like tea/coffee, chocolate ect and mail it to her...I know that's a little silly and materialistic, but that might help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewberrycrazy
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2006 12:00:14 PM »

Such a good idea...you inspired me to make something for my grandmother (my grandfather just died and I couldn't make it to the funeral--they live in Boston and I live in Portland, OR).

Thanks for the inspiration.  I am sure your mother will love the shawl.
I'm sorry for your loss as well.  My family is in Portland, and I sooooo wish I could go home to be with them.   I'm going home in April for a visit so I guess I will have to wait until then. 

An idea for something nice to do, would maybe be to knit a bag and fill it with comfort foods, like tea/coffee, chocolate ect and mail it to her...I know that's a little silly and materialistic, but that might help.
I love this idea!

And to Everyone Else....  thank you all for the lovely comments, you are lifting my spirits.    Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Brush Resize in Photoshop CS4
Enhanced Smart Objects - PSCS4 Sneak Peek
Printing - PSCS4 Sneak Peek
Camera Raw 5.0 - PSCS4 Sneak Peek
User Interface Changes – PSCS4 Sneak Peek
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...