A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,700
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A warm gift for a SAD time  (Read 4864 times)
Tags for this thread: shawl , wrap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sewberrycrazy
« on: February 26, 2006 06:04:49 PM »

I finished this shawl about a month ago, and was going to give it to my Mom in April for her birthday.  Well, she called me this morning and told me my Grandmother (her Mother) died last night.  My family is on the west coast, I'm on the east, and I won't be able to go home for the funeral.  So, I decided to send this to her now as a BIG HUG from me, because I know that's what she really needs right now.   I just wish I could be there to do it in person instead.   Sad

Have any of you given crafted gifts for sad occasions?

btw, I got the pattern here: http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/khs-diam.html?noImages=
THIS ROCKS   Logged
funkyhooker
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006 08:14:20 PM »

It's very beautiful.  It's a wonderfully appropriate gift.  I'm so sorry to hear of your gramma's passing.  We make prayer shaws for our hospital ministy so I think it's a great gift to give.  Take care...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wist! http://www.wists.com/savagerabbit

-----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
K E R Exp+ SPM Wood+ Bamboo ++ Steel+++ Baa+++ Syn-- Nov Lux+ @ Stash+++ Scale+ Fin Ent- FI- Int- Tex+ Lace-- Felt++  Flat Circ+ DPN+++ ML-- Swatch-- KIP+++ Blog SNB+++ EZ? FO? WIP3 F-- DK++ ALT Cr X Sw  
-----
spurtiic
Jennorific

I made BEST OF 2007 for my frozen bird nest pic!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006 08:19:06 PM »

Aww, that's a beautiful shawl and your mother will really appreciate it. A big hug is really what she will need and this way she'll always be wearing it Smiley  I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother.   Cry 

My aunt recently shaved her head due to chemo for breast cancer.  I'm in the process of making a chemo cap for her.  I'm sure she'll cry her eyes out when she gets it, but I just want her to know I am always thinking of her even if we aren't that close in miles or smiles. We have had our lil differences, but family is family regardless.   
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006 08:21:22 PM by spurtiic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
PrincessJazz
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006 08:45:58 PM »

That's a beautiful shawl and will be a great reminder to your mom of your love.

A friend of mine was losing her father to cancer and I never knew what to say, so I knitted her mittens.  I explained to her that I didn't know what else to do.

Jazz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dialectic material
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006 09:45:21 PM »

i'm really sorry to hear about your loss.  your knitting is really beautiful and i'm sure your mom will love it, not only because of your amazing work, but also because of the emotional support and consideration that went into making it.

i am in a similar situation right now, being away from both my mother and grandmother, while my grandmother's lung is slowly deteriorating due to cancer.  i'd love to knit a quilt with squares made by my mother, my grandmother and myself before my grandmother passes -- especially since my grandmother taught both my mom and myself how to knit.  your project really inspires me to actually see that idea through.

i think its absolutely amazing how something like knitting, or crafting in general, can not only result in the creation of beautiful work, but also the development and expression of individual relationships and feelings.

-missie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ain't no power like the power of the people cuz the power of the people don't stop
sewberrycrazy
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006 03:01:16 AM »

Thank you all for the kind words.  You all have reinforced my belief that hand made gifts are the best especially in difficult times.

dialectic material:  I think your quilt idea is wonderful, and something you should definitely do.   I have some beautiful baby blankets that my Grandmother crocheted for my kids, and I will treasure them always.

Thanks again everyone, take care!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarnisfun
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006 11:38:04 AM »

My deepest sympathies for your loss. Your shawl is beautiful. I don't think you could give your mother a more appropriate gift.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ERDrewHilda
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006 12:00:55 PM »

i think that's a beautiful shawl! you did a wonderful job...

last summer my great grandfather died unexpectidly....he was in the military when he was young and still very active with the vfw....my mom, brother, dad, and uncle (and soon myself..) are all in the military too...i knit a small bag that we put everyone's rank into and placed it in his hand before they shut the casket...i know it's kinda corny, but it meant a lot that he'll always have a piece of each of us near him...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog "twisted stitches": http://erdrewhilda.blogspot.com/
Yarnisfun
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006 12:59:49 PM »

i know it's kinda corny, but it meant a lot that he'll always have a piece of each of us near him...
It's not corny at all, It's a very sweet thing to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewberrycrazy
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006 02:31:14 PM »

i know it's kinda corny, but it meant a lot that he'll always have a piece of each of us near him...
It's not corny at all, It's a very sweet thing to do.

I agree... NOT corny at all.   I'm in the military as well, so I totally understand what it meant to all of you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Emily Listfield Reveals Her Favorite Words
Stephen King Talks About Duma Key
Meet Author Patty Brisben
Sheila Weller Reveals What Readers Think About Her
Tyler Colman Reveals His Favorite Movie
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...