A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,071
Currently Running With Scissors:
503 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: winter blahs = summer clothes (wrap skirt tut)  (Read 5272 times)
Tags for this thread: wrap_skirt , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sunnyb64

free as a bird...it's the next best thing to be

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2006 04:11:27 AM »

Now it just has to get warm so I can actually wear these.  Roll Eyes Tongue

Anyway, these are my two most recent projects. I finished this one two weeks ago during that big snowstorm that the East coast had...

The pattern was one I made myself, based off one I already had. It was very easy, I can get up a tut if anyone's interested.

And then I would have finished this that weekend too, but then I got whacked with a stomach bug and then I went away last weekend. This one's technically a recon, but since I made the messed-up ill-fitting dress that it came from as well (and I'm too lazy to make a second post) it's going in here.

It's hard to tell from that pic, but there's some gathering at the neckline to make it the V-neck. I have a pic, but it's very blurry... sorry about that.

Any feedback welcome. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006 08:20:05 PM by sunnyb64 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

nushybum
nushybum the magnificent

Masquerade!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006 04:18:19 AM »

I like the second top a lot Smiley the fabric is very pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shock Paper Scissors - a modern magazine for contempory crafters

Magic Fingers - a craft blog
manderz
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006 08:39:40 AM »

I love the skirt, and especially the top! Did you use a pettern? I want one!
Nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nomorebs
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006 10:05:57 AM »

I really like the skirt.  I'd love if you could post a tute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sunnyb64

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006 07:55:16 PM »

Manderz- I didn't use a pattern. The dress I took it from had essentially the same shape to start with, though I did tear it apart and trim it down a bit. I was able to make a basic tut for it, hopefully the text will be large enough!!

edit: Ok, it's not. So here's what it said:
1. (Top-left corner pic) Start with this kind of shape, front and back, make sure it'll be loose-fitting enough that you can pull it over your head.
2. (top-right corner pic) Add darts to the top if necessary for shaping. Make two ties and sew into side seams, just below bustline. Leave slits at the bottom if desired.
3. (Bottom pic) Run some basting stitches down the center front and gather as desired. Sew over top of gathers with a straight stitch to hold it in place. Bind neckline and armholes with strips of the fabric.

Nomorebs- No problem. Here's the basic shapes:

The large light green is the outside front panel (the slit is the buttonhole), and the large dark green is the inside front panel. Both of those have one edge perpendicular to the top and bottom of the skirt. Those perpendicular edges of the inner and outer front panels sew right to the long edges of the back panel (the teal one). The buttonhole should be on the side of the outer front panel that is closer to the back. There are also two ties, one shorter than the other. The shorter one sews to the outer edge of the outer front panel, and the longer one sews to the edge of the inner front panel, half an inch below the top of the skirt. There are also three pieces to make up the facing, which sew to the top edge of the skirt. All together, it'll look like this:

Then you finish the edges of the facing, the sides of the skirt and the hem, and there you have it. To tie the skirt on, the longer tie wraps around the back of the skirt, threads through the buttonhole, and then you tie it to the shorter tie. (This way you can make it looser or tighter fitting as desired.)

For the measurements of the pattern (add an inch to all of these for half-inch seam allowances): The outer front panel is the measurement from hipbone to hipbone on top, nine inches wider on the bottom. The inner front panel is four inches less than the top measurement of the outer panel; the bottom is the top measurement plus seven inches. The top back measurement is the measurement from hipbone to hipbone again, but around your back; I made the bottom of mine 16 inches wider, but I like to have more flare on the bottom because I take big steps, so you might want to do less.  The shorter tie was the length of the top of the outer front panel , and the longer tie was the length of the top of the back panel plus 8 inches. Both of those are cut 3.5" wide, using half-inch seam allowances the finished width is 1 1/4". The facing on the inside is three pieces, each cut the length of the top of each panel, and three inches wide. The skirt length... that's up to you. (I made mine 40", but I like them long.)

I hope that was clear enough, if it's not, let me know.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006 08:00:43 PM by sunnyb64 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lil_ballet_girl

I want to be with you

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006 02:45:01 PM »

I'd probably wear something like that skirt at the beach lol! I think i saw a skirt like that at a swimwear store! I really looks professional. I like the other pieces too Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Took for granted all the little things.
But now it's over,
All I can say is goodbye.
arrhythmia
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006 07:15:54 PM »

I love the skirt and top tute. Very helpful, especially with the skirt. It helps to see it in different colors to understand it. I love the top and skirt, too.

I like the dress form you are using. Did you make it, and if so, is it papermache or duct tape or what? I'd love to know. I'm thinking about making one and yours looks a lot more realistic than some others. Compliments to you on the clothes and dress form/mannequin. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sunnyb64

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006 06:13:50 AM »

Arrythmia- I only about half-made the dummy. The base of it was a store mannequin that they were giving away (one of my friends spotted it and grabbed one for herself and a few for some of her sewing friends, like me). The proportions were right for my figure, but the measurements weren't, so I had to make it a bit bigger with quilt batting and duct tape and an old bra.

And glad the tute worked out. I haven't made those too often, so I'm never sure if I'm being clear or not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vorare
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006 08:23:07 AM »

I was just thinking <i>yesterday</i> how much I would like to make a long wrap skirt. Yours looks great, and thank you so much for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When do you learn that the world, like any diner worth its salt, is open twenty-four hours a day?"
-Adverbs by Daniel Handler

Ravelry | Wists
arrhythmia
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006 08:35:17 AM »

Thanks, sunnyb64. I just need to run across an old mannequin or dress form, like you did. Thank goodness it's spring. there are at least yard sales! I'm glad you told how you altered it to fit you!  Your tute was splendid!!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006 08:37:06 AM by arrhythmia » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wow: Best of Photoshop CS2 with Jack Davis
Portrait Retouching with Photoshop Elements - Sample 2
Portrait Retouching with Photoshop Elements - Sample 1
5 Minute Portrait Retouch By Matt Kloskowski
Photoshop tutorial - Sharpening and Color
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...