A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,706
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kitty hat seed stitch question  (Read 1776 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elbow in the spine
« on: February 25, 2006 04:06:49 PM »

Maybe this is just in my head, but the instructions say to cast on 84 stitches and then work in seed stitch... if you're knitting the hat in the round shouldn't it be an odd number of stitches for seed stich? Otherwise I'll end my first round on a purl and start the next round on a purl, won't that make a band on the seed stitch portion that doesn't match?   Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cherry blossom

nice head...i think i'll take it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006 09:24:30 AM »

just start the next row on a knit stitch and it will all work out and everything will be right with the world!  LOL  Tongue 
i just did a project in seed stitch and didn't realize i had cast on an even number of stitches...so i just started each row with a knit and it ended up working out just fine Cheesy 
good luck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fabricfightsfire
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006 03:09:08 PM »

omg! im stuck on this right now!!! I havea general question about seed stitch (and im on this project)
Ok, so when you do the next "row" (like after doi9ng the first 84 stitches) how do you knit? When you purled in the last row it made like double stitch, and do you knit that set of 2 or like 1 of the 2? does anyone get what im talking about?? Also, mine kept stretching in some places and ketting to tight in others. I HATE SEED STITCH!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
detritus
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006 04:27:20 PM »

Hmmm. I'm just finished up this pattern now--just the pompoms to go. It's true the design would have been improved by using an odd number of stitches, but it really isn't that problematic. I'm not really sure what you mean by "double stitch." If you cast on an even number in seed stitch (ending on purl) you will have to start the next your with a purl (meaning you purl two stitches in a row). The seam still isn't that noticeable when you do this. Really, the only important thing you have to remember when knitting seed stitch is to knit when the row below is purl (and vice versa). If you are having issues with the gauge changing, it's probably because you aren't switching between knit and purl with an even tension. It's just one of those things that takes practice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zombiemuffin
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006 12:31:05 PM »

It does throw off the seed stitch, but you just end up with a line of garter stitch where the first and last stitches meet.  It's really not even all that noticable! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elbow in the spine
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006 04:20:46 PM »

I just went ahead and cast on an odd number, did my seed stitch with no garter seam and then knit two together on my first knit row.  Turned out okay Smiley
I have been procrastinating on actually finishing this however.  Just need to knit the ears... Maybe I'll do that tonight   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kmsmaverick
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007 08:25:06 AM »

if i want to do a band of seed stich in my hat, (i'm just practicing, not really folllowing a pattern anymore) I am knitting in the round, currently have 15 rounds of stockingette

I would like a band of some sort of texture, I tried eyelets, but they really just look like dropped stitches. so then i thought i would purl a few stitches every few stitches, but those looked shabby too. so i wonder if i can make a band of seed?

would this work?
R1: *k1, p1* repeat to end of round
R2: *p1, k1* repeat to end of round
R3-5: repeat 1 and 2.
R 6: knit.

looking at these, do you thing it would work?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

detritus
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007 01:13:26 AM »

Yeah, that should work fine. Just note the odd vs. even number of stitch debate above. Seed stitch is a nice subtle contrast from stockinette.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Authors Mary and Carol Higgins Clark
Rick Warren Reveals Who He Identifies Most
Susan Cheever Talks About Louisa May Alcott
Joseph A. Califano Jr. Talks About How to Raise a Drug-Free Kid
Eric Puchner Talks About Model Home
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...