A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,051
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Agh, they just don't understand! (Rant, plus a quick question)  (Read 828 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Princess Dukki
« on: February 25, 2006 01:52:27 PM »

My first knitted project ever was the Punk Rock Backpack from SnB, complete with intarsia bunny. Everyone at work would ask me if I made it, and I would proudly tell them yes, I knitted it all, how I muddled through the color work, and they all say, "Well, it looks pretty good..."

So I'm knitting this scarf right now for my boyfriend. I pull it out at work, and anyone on break with me asks what I'm making, and when I tell them, they look at it, and they ooh and ahh over the two little stripes I put on the end of the scarf. Gorgeous, they say, the color changes are amazing, is it hard to do?

*ahem*

THEY'RE STRIPES! Why didn't these people give me that sort of reaction on my bunny bag? Surely they must realize that knitting a picture is a little harder than making a stripe... don't they?

Oh, and speaking of this scarf... I've discovered the wonders of knitting the beginning tail into the scarf, for a completely invisible weaving-in. But how can I weave in the tails left at the end? I'll have three when the scarf is done, and I don't want them to stick out at all, I'm really anal about such things... it's the Boyfriend Scarf from I May Be Knitting A Ranch House... if that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What was that for?! Chickens are not your brethren!
Inara
I am cute little bunny. I pose no threat to society

It's hard to work in groups when you're omnipotent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006 11:53:05 PM »

I know what you mean - for some reason stripes are some grand and mystical thing to non-knitters.

As for the ends on your current project, my usual method is to use a darning needle to duplicate stitch the tail in, then actually sew the end into place with a little embroidery thread of the same color and trim the tail as close as possible.  If it's something that's not going to get run through the washer/dryer much, then you can probably leave out the embroidery thread bit if you get the yarn woven in neatly enough.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sleep beckons. Also waves. Also makes threatening gestures and hops up and down until I notice. - Neil Gaiman

http://effulgentstudios.etsy.com
http://inara-knits.blogspot.com
marimbachick
High Priestess of the Temple of Sexiness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006 06:08:20 AM »

I took a tip from eunnyjang here on craftster and started weaving in ends a couple plys (plies?) at a time, just splitting the back sides of stitches as I went to create a stronger hold.  I've had trouble in the past with woven ends sticking out, and this idea works marvelously.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We need the Falkland Islands...for strategic sheep purposes."
valknits
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006 10:12:50 AM »

Don't feel bad Princess, my bf is more amazed by 2x2 ribbing than intarsia!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The accomplice to the crime of corruption is frequently our own indifference." -Bess Myerson, Miss America 1945
discoprincess
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006 10:32:34 AM »

go princess!

haha

I get people asking me to knit things a lot. Two things they don't understand:

- the time
- the money

And sometimes what they like is very shocking. haha

THIS ROCKS   Logged

No, I was merely reading the Muggle magazines. I do love knitting patterns.
-- Dumbledore

Ravelry: disco
sachis2112
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006 10:57:15 AM »

OMG this is sooo true.  The same goes for crochet.  There's something like intarsia or charted chrochet for pictures.  But somehow something that's super easy because there's a bunch of double-crochet (long stitches work up faster) with a bunch of lacy space in between looks so much more difficult to people.

I got so frustrated with a simple two-color charted crochet project that I didn't even bother to frog it.  I just threw it in the trash.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Princess Dukki
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006 10:56:23 PM »

I took a tip from eunnyjang here on craftster and started weaving in ends a couple plys (plies?) at a time, just splitting the back sides of stitches as I went to create a stronger hold.  I've had trouble in the past with woven ends sticking out, and this idea works marvelously.

Thanks, I'm gonna try that!

And everyone else, thanks for understanding my frustration, lol  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What was that for?! Chickens are not your brethren!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Trend Takeout: Dressing Up for Rainy Weather
Trend Takeout: Geometric Patterns
Street Style: FiDi Street Style From Kids to Christian Louboutin
Street Style: Did We Catch You Holiday Shopping?
Street Seen: Anna Dello Russo H&M Takeover
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...