A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,185
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What's your favourite thing to do with strawberries?  (Read 4930 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2004 08:00:06 PM »

I spent a few hours this morning picking berries, and now I've got a fridgeful that I need to DO something with. We'll eat some tomorrow, along with my lemon cake (that's a whole other post), but we'll not get through all of them...

When I was a kid, we'd get a little bowl of sour cream and a little bowl of brown sugar, and dip the strawberries first in the sour cream and then the sugar --- great combination of flavours!

I like putting sliced strawberries in salads, fir a summery taste.

And I love making homemade jam, but I don't have anough jars around at the moment, and the store was sold out.

So... Ideas? What do you do with your berries?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011 05:58:34 AM by Troublet - Reason: edited dead pic links » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
Darkest_Faerie
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2004 10:57:34 AM »

Sprinkle some sugar over the strawberries and then pour some cream over top...or dehydrate them...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-See my photography here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceylheureux/
-Visit my blog here: http://tinystarcreations.blogspot.com/
-Check out my zazzle site here:
http://www.zazzle.com/paper_airplane*
bevrockin

How y'all doin, everbuddy?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004 11:17:01 AM »

My fruit dip goes GREAT with strawberries!  One package of cream cheese (16 oz.) and one BIG jar of marshmallow cream, stirred until smooth.  I could eat a bushel of strawberries that way!

The strawberries here have been delicious and HUGE this year.  At my cousin's baby shower, there were strawberries on a fruit tray that were as big as lemons.  And they were very, very sweet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pipstar
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004 06:50:10 PM »

Ridiculously easy but really yummy...

Slice strawberries into quarters/halves (whichever you prefer). Mix thickened cream with white/caster sugar, lemon juice and some lemon rind. Layer the cream mixture with the strawberries in a glass.

(sorry I don't have exact measurements. I usually just make it freehand -tasting the cream and adjusting til I get it right!)

It's a really nice, light dessert that everyone enjoys.

Another option is to make a strawberry sauce -this is also really easy and versatile. For breakfast, serve with waffles or pancakes. Or for dessert, spoon over ice cream, frozen yogurt or pound cake.

1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 pint basket California strawberries, halved

In medium skillet mix sugar, water and lemon juice. Stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes just to boil. Add butter; stir until melted. Mix in strawberries; heat through, but do not cook.

Oh I love strawberries and am incredibly jealous that you have a problem of what to do with so many of them  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hillarybillary
your a pansy I'm a cowboy....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004 03:00:54 PM »

we have a strawberry festival where i grew up every year and they sell them with sour cream and brown sugar, sound weird but its to de-licious unless your allergic like i have become. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wannabesupercrafty
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004 03:20:09 PM »

my fave way to eat strawberries is still strawberry shortcake! YUM
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Crafty Jule
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004 03:48:25 PM »

I agree with WannaBeSupercrafty.   STRAWBERRY SHORT CAKE

Simple bisquick biscuts, home made cinnomon whipped cream & LOTS of juicy chilled berrys with just a sprinkle of sugar.

=)~~~

JULE
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookgirl
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2004 07:14:44 AM »

Have a frozen drink party -- you can get through a lot of strawberries if you're making daiquiris and margaritas for a bunch of friends.  Or chilled strawberry soup (really.  it's very nice on hot days).  Or make strawberry ice cream and strawberry sauce.

For the sauce (from yesterday's NYTimes):

Combine 2 lbs strawberries, 1/2 to 3/4 cup granulated sugar (depends on sweetness of berries), 2 tsp cornstarch, pinch of salt and the juice of half a lemon in a saucepan over medium low heat.  Stir gently until berries are soft and the sugar has dissolved.  Remove from heat and let cool.  Makes 3 cups.

I seem to recall Nigella Lawson has an easy freezer-ice cream recipe that doesn't require a machine, but I don't have Forever Summer.  Can anyone help?

If you really have loads and loads, freeze what you can't use now for later.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2004 10:27:36 AM »

I like to cut them in quarters and freeze them in ziploc baggies.  Then also cut up bananas and freeze them.  Then I throw some berries, some bananas, maybe some frozen fruit from the grocery store, and maybe 1/4-1/2 cup of OJ in the blender for yummy smoothies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WildIrishRose

So then I says to Mabel, I says...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2004 05:01:53 PM »

I like using them in savory sort of ways...They're really good in a green salad w/ feta cheese, walnuts, and a light vinaigrette of olive oil, lemon juice, pinch of sugar.  Also, a classic Italian dessert type thing is strawberries and balsamic vinegar.  A splash of vinegar, maybe a tiny pinch of sugar, and a little fresh ground black pepper.  Sounds odd-ish, but it's really tasty on it's own, w/ vanilla ice cream, or in strawberry shortcake.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Inna
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2004 05:48:34 PM »

sliced and dried in the dehydrator until crisp - heavenly!
They taste better than they smell!
Inna
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Drama llama ding dong
lanipants

omgz, 2k5 in a-town

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2004 05:35:24 PM »

this recipe is excellent: Strawberry Mango Salsa, stolen from Central Market
(since I am from texas, and we try to make everything a salsa)

1 pt strawberries (about 2 cups)
3 limes, juiced
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 mango, diced
salt and pepper to taste (forget the pepper, in my opinion)
2 serrano peppers, chopped (or 4 or 5, or use a jalapeno)
1 avocado, diced
[/color]

Combine in a big bowl, eat immediately with chips or bread or anything really. It is recommended over quesadillas or fish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2004 07:30:49 PM »

Wow, there are some great ideas here. I'm especially intrigued by the salsa --- it sounds awesome! I've had mango salsa, but so I know the sweet and hot combo will be great; I've also made lots of salads with strawberries, so I know they'll go nicely with savoury things. The dehydrated strawberries sound really good too --- if only I had a dehydrator! And of course, who could resist strawberry shortcake and strawberry smoothies...

Incidentally, I ended up freezing the majority of the berries I'd picked, and they're now being used in smoothies and fruit salads... The season's cold and damp here, so it's late, and there are still berries available. I'll definitely be picking some more before it's over!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
BuffaloRohm

I love llamas!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2004 09:26:50 AM »

I make a salsa with strawberries too, but mine is simply sweet. I add in some chopped kiwi, and serve with tortilla chips that have been dipped in melted chocolate. It's a great summer-y dessert. Good luck using all of your strawberries!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay! I'm engaged! 8/4/08
Lady_In_Red
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2004 07:10:34 PM »

I love smoothies.... Strawberry Banana ones .... yum! And Strawberry Shortcake is awesome and definately when it's really sweet hehe. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one." -John Lennon
dyabolica

Gaze into my eyes and submit to my puppy dominion!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2004 10:23:55 AM »

My husband loves chocolate dipped strawberies, I make them look like they are wearing tuxedos, first I dip in white chocolate, then dip in dark chocolate at an angle so whe white chocolate still shows. I then paint a dark chocolate bow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

R.I.P Jon 7.15.07 I will never get over losing you!
End the war in Iraq, we have lost enough our
Fathers, Mothers, Sons and Daughters! I won't be on Craftster for a while, I am just not feeling creative.
catherine625
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2004 10:32:54 AM »

OMG!!!  Those are fantastic!!  I love it!  That is a great idea!

I love strawberries!  Its a tradition in my family every summer to go strawberry picking and then we chocolate fondu them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them."
                -Theodor Seuss Geisel (Dr. Seuss)
Stephannie

Dig that crazy sound.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2004 12:25:53 PM »

My friend Ben taught me how to make this balsamic coating for strawberries. Its really easy, just coat them with a sugar and little balsamic vinegar.  He says he knows it sounds grim,  but its really good with ice cream.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

co_LORA_do
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2004 03:57:03 PM »

When i have to pack a lunch on the go, i bring one of those chocolate pudding cups, and dip my strawberries in it! Yummy! Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
livlif2thefulest
Always gonna be Craftin'

Fat Cat!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2004 07:53:05 AM »

My boyfriends family fondues em. I don't really know what they use in the batter, but I think it is regular Bisquick. You use hot oil and sprinkle powdered sugar ontop. Very Very Very yummmmmmy!!! Tongue
Jo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to live by:
Live Life To The Fullest
myrLegacy
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2004 07:47:14 PM »

fresh strawberry cobbler
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2004 04:38:34 PM »

The time of berry picking is long over, and in my house, we are relishing those sweet tastes of summer and harvest because we make jellies and jams, frozen veggie stews and frozen and canned fruits and veggies whenever possible.  In addition to their large garden, my parents' property has wild plum and mulberry trees, and next year I think my mother'll plant strawberries and raspberries.  I plan on trying my hand at blueberries next year, too.  I LOVE homemade jellies and jams.  They are my favorite way to use fruits if not fresh.  And remember, if you adjust your recipes so they don't gel as well, you've got syrup!

But, my FAVORITE thing to do with strawberries probably shouldn't be talked about on a public board.  And THERE's another idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Craftymum
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2005 02:45:05 PM »

I'm quite fond of quartering them and giving them a splash of Balsamic vinegar. I let them rest for an hour or so to get the juices mixing then erve over vanilla ice cream or a plain sponge cake or scone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zephren
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2005 08:40:43 AM »

This may be a little off topic, but I was thinking not too long ago that it would be cool to have a small indoor shelving area in my house where I could grow some straberries and herbs and maybe even some cherry tomatos. I hate the outdoors and have no gardening experience, so the only way Ill ever do any gardening is by doing it indoors. Do you think its possible to grow strawberries inside with a grow light?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kuolema Nox
The Right-Wing Hippie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2005 03:25:23 PM »

This is verrrrrry late, but one of my favourite foods is summer pudding! (Blimey, guv'nor, we British looooove our puddings. Grin)You do need other berries too, preferably darker ones like blackcurrants, blackberries and cherries.

First you get some white bread slices, cut the crusts off and line a big bowl with them. Then you warm all the fruit in a pan with a little sugar and water and pour it into the bread-lined bowl. Next you cut out a lid for the bowl out of bread (has to be able to cover the bowl tightly)and put in on top of the whole thing.
Then you put a plate upside-down on top of it and weigh it down with things so it'll press the fruit juices into the bread to absorb it. Leave it all in the fridge overnight and in the morning, take the weights off, hold the bowl and plate together and turn the pudding over. Then lift the bowl up and the pudding will turn out onto the plate.
All you have to do then is cut bits off it and eat them (with or without cream)! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenfish
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2005 07:08:55 PM »

2 Words. WHIPPED CREAM.

I just slice up strawberries..put them in a bowl and layer them, addin whipped cream.. [ strawberries, whipped cream, strawberries..etc..]  I LOVE IT! Hmm.. wish we had whipped cream, and some strawberries now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kuolema Nox
The Right-Wing Hippie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2005 03:00:56 AM »

Ooh, whipped cream... Mix in crushed ginger biscuits or amaretti biscuits with it and it's looooovely. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kuolema Nox
The Right-Wing Hippie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2005 03:01:51 AM »

I elongate words too muuuuuuuuuch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieSkull
Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2005 08:05:08 PM »

Make strawberry trifle Smiley

Layer:
Pound cake (drizzled in dry sherry, if you wish)
pudding
strawberries (and or other fruits)
whipped topping

Wonderful any time of year, my mom makes a huge bowl of this and uses blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and sometimes blackberries. Best pudding we've used is cheesecake pudding, but french vanilla is also delicous
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2005 12:29:10 PM »

Marinated strawberries

Ingredients:

Strawberries! about half a liter maybe?
1dl sugar
the juice of one orange
1-3 tbl spoons Grand Marin orange liquor (or similar)
grated (is that the right word? we say 'scratched') orange peal

Cook the juice and the sugar until the sugar solves. Add liquor (if you don't want the alcohol-bit, boil it). Add the peal (make sure you don't get any of the white stuff in there..) Let it cool, then add sliced strawberries and put it in the fridge for like an hour or so, so the strawberries will really suck in the juice... Serve with vanilla ice cream

Strawberries with yoghurt

Ingredients:

Turkish yoghurt, or "natural" yoghurt with has rested in a coffee-filter over night blended with some whipped cream
Honey
Strawberries
Roasted, thin slices of almond

Slice the strawberries and put them in the bottom of a see-through cup or glass. Pour a bit of honey on top of them, then fill up with yoghurt. Add some more honey, and sprinkle some almonds over it.

Nutella strawberries
Great for a lovesnack in bed... Smiley

Cut strawberries in half (or almost in half, whatever you wish)
Top/fill with nutella

so tasty... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
EatFish
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2005 04:51:38 PM »

When I was growing up in Shanghai, I had these really yummy strawberries on a stick!! I tried replicating them at home, and they were surprisingly pretty easy to make. Take plain white sugar and melt it in a pan until slightly carmelized, and then skewer fresh strawberries on a kabob stick, then drizzle the melted strawberries with the sugar ^_^!!

Its really yummy Cheesy and kids realllly like it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2005 07:06:41 AM »

Ohh, I ate something like that when I was on holiday in Tokyo, and it was kinda nifty, though really scary now that I'm not as sugar freaked as kids are Wink very fresh-like though. But it looked like it should be more refreshing-like than it actually was (looked more icy than sugary)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
EatFish
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2005 05:39:20 PM »

eww....sorry for your bad experience! If you go to asia again you should try them cuz they're usually really yummy. They aren't really suppose to look icy, more like glazed over Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair Stylist For a Day at Altuzarra Spring 2013
How to Create a Low Ponytail from NY Fashion Week
How to Create a Bohemian Hairstyle from NY Fashion Week
Hair Tips: Using Old Socks As Rollers
Makeover: From a Simple Ponytail to Glamorous Waves
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...