A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,126
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Plastic Canvas anyone???  (Read 3707 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

morbid_lady
« on: February 24, 2006 11:37:47 AM »

I'm hugely into plastic canvas and have been doing it for about 8 years (since i was 10).

Lately i cant find it anywhere, i can find the actual canvas but no new patterns. I've been able to find one store in my area that sells patterns, and out of curiosity i looked at the dates on the books, the latest one i could find was from 1992. I think i'm into a dying craft, at least in my area. Ive managed to find Annies Attic magazine from texas and got a subscription, but it would be nice to find somewhere to buy patterns closer to home (southern ontario).

Well, now that my frustrated rant is over....

I'm working on a doll house right now and might have it completed by the time my friends daughter is old enough to play with it (she's about 5 months old)

Does anyone else work with plastic canvas? What kind of stuff do you make out of it and what are you currently working on?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We wear the mask that grins and lies
It hides our face and shades our eyes
Ah, but let the world dream otherwise
We wear the mask
Mel B.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006 12:10:13 PM »

Hey, I thought I was the only semi-young plastic canvaser left!

When I was a little kid I got old hand-me-down plastic canvas magazines, but I agree, since I started making stuff again in 2005 it's seriously hard to find patterns that interest me...another Kleenex book cover!? Smiley On a trip to Buffalo, I went into a big craft store I'd never seen in Canada (I'm also an Eastern Ontarian) and they had some, but as far as Michael's goes, nuthin'!

What I got back into was Barbie furniture (even without kids to play with it!). When I was younger I started a shopping boutique from a pattern book. So to find those pattern books again I searched "fashion doll plastic canvas" on e-bay and I've been able to buy patterns for between 0.99 and about $9.00. I've bought a bedroom a set, a country kitchen, a Christmas tree, a nursery, a wing-back armchair. Then...a MIRACLE! I was back at my parents' house and found the old boutique and a hair salon book hiding in my old craft totes! JOY! So far I've made the armchair and the nursery and gotten into other non-PC things like sewing and felt, but I'm sure I'll still dabble occasionally.

Anyway, I'm afraid we are into a slowly dying craft, since besides the Annie's Attic magazines, I don't find any new patterns either. But hey, those big elaborate doll houses are AMAZING! I salute your dedication!

~Mel
THIS ROCKS   Logged
morbid_lady
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006 03:19:21 PM »

OMG, ebay! I cant believe i didnt think of that, i'm even a member and it never crossed my mind to look!  Shocked  Holy brain fart, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We wear the mask that grins and lies
It hides our face and shades our eyes
Ah, but let the world dream otherwise
We wear the mask
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006 06:25:26 PM »

try looking for needlepoint, a lot of those patterns can be adapted pretty easily.  At least that's where my SO late grandmother did for inspiration.

anymore all I use plastic canvas for is as a substitute for buckram for Renaissance hats... it can take rain, buckram can't.

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006 08:16:29 AM »

Try www.marymaxim.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006 08:21:05 AM »

I love plastic canvas! I have made everything out of it! I usually draft my own patterns because I can never find very good patterns. I'll have to look at that site above.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006 09:13:13 AM »

I  Love  canvas too but like  many others I have a  really hard time  finding fun patterns. But  I  just type in "FREE PLASTIC CANVAS PATTERNS" on my search engine (copernic agent is the best ever search engine it combines a bunch in one! If you don't have it you can get it free and even customize it some to suit you.  http://www.copernic.com/ )

and I just  browse  for  hours and  save the  ones I want  and  delete the rest.

Here's a few I have done .

My brother was always in trouble for  emptying his pockets on his end table by his chair (sis in law is  a neat freak)  anyway  so I made this for him  to empty his pockets into.
I  added  a few  extra little  silly things  that  were joke stuff between teh 2 of us.

Made this set for my other brother when he got married ( after the divorce I got it back and removed teh side panel on the binder and made one with my last name it is now MY wedding album)

Made this for Brotehr (first one mentioned)  the 13th anniversay I used embroidery floss to hand sew on the date and some mush love  words.  they added personal photos.

Friend has 3 kids sharing a room so I made this for the kids each dangling ballon below their name on one side  says in on other side says out  so they  could  show  who was in the room and  who  not. 

Not a  good  pic  I know  but  it  shows  a  bit.
These are candle holders,  Indian boy and girl there si a canoe also  in the canoe I addeda  few hand painted wooden bowls, a mini bow and arrow set, a few pieces of fake fur tied in bundles, and  a few other miscelanious items  and then the  wagon  had little "water barrel" and food boxes.

and then  my personal favorite. this papertowel holer is musical also.... poke its eyes and one played the Mmmmm ggod toon from cambels soup commercials  and the  other eye  played  amazing graze........

THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
Nymeria

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2006 05:50:55 PM »

I do some stuff here and there with canvas because it can be fun -- nothing really difficult like the tackle box and stuff. Mostly I do wall hangings, but like someone else said I use cross stitch patterns and the occassional latch hook pattern. I think canvas has sorta died, but give it time. It seems like all the crafts are making it back into popularity so it's probably only a matter of time before books and stuff start popping up like crazy again.

My most recent project was I used the charts/graphs at http://www.dot-s.net/product/index.html and made all the Zelda ones and hung them on our wall like old style portraits. Yes, it's exceptionally nerdy, I know lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
Kitsune-Tearz
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011 09:12:49 AM »

i've only ever used a pattern that wasn't my own, once (back when i got my first plastic canvas kit) other then that, i just create my own patterns for what i  need...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mgailp
Queen of 1000 Proj... Ooo, shiney

To boldly craft where everyone has crafted before

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011 07:08:58 PM »

It is sooo hard to find good patterns sometimes, you're right. I often use cross stitch charts. The only thing about that is to remember they will be larger unless you are using that tiny canvas. No big, just allow for the difference. I didn't once Tongue - ended having to piece together the canvas to be big enough, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
The Sketchbook Project: Hope (Craft-A-Long)
Taking applicants for the Society of Procrastinators ... tomorrow
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to French Braid Bangs
How to Plait Hair
How to Scrunch Straight Hair
How to Twist Short Hair
How to Prom Hairstyles
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...