A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,048
Currently Running With Scissors:
382 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Purple Hippie Panel Skirt - It Rocks! - Tutorial  (Read 31228 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thewalrusisme
« on: June 25, 2004 02:05:52 PM »

So... i made my second panel skirt and im real proud of how it turned out... i dont have a tutorial, but might be able to make some diagrams of how i made it if people are genuinely interested.
It was pretty easy..and i was working with beautiful fabric which made it even more fun  Grin
Only issue ive had is that its kinda crooked..longer on one side than the other...
http://members.aol.com/comecleanrelax/panel1.jpg
http://members.aol.com/comecleanrelax/panel2.jpg

and not to load u all up with pictures, u can follow the link for a full picture of my hippieness in my new panel skirt  Cheesy
http://members.aol.com/comecleanrelax/panelall.jpg

TUTORIAL

OK, this is really rough, especially the making it fit part lol  I actually started this one a year ago...had to wait til i lost some weight for it to fit on my body bc i had mis-judged things  Roll Eyes

I tend to just jump into things without planning out so much, but I believe the best way to make this skirt is to:
1.) measure your waist

2.)  Take this measurement and divide it by 4 [Since there are 4 panels] and then add 2 inches to the plain clothe panels which will be in the middle and 4 inches to the corduroy ones to allow for seams.  The length should be the final length you want it to be, plus 3 inches.
For example if your waist was 40inches around.  Each fabric panel would be 12 inches wide at the top and each corduroy panel would be 14 inches wide at the top.

3.) cut two fabric shapes with these dimensions as below. [the dotted line being where you will sew later]
http://members.aol.com/comecleanrelax/fabric.jpg

4.) Cut two corduroy shapes with the dimensions below.
]http://members.aol.com/comecleanrelax/cord.jpg

5.)  Sew all four pieces together along the dotted edge with the excess fabric inside the tube and the right side of the fabric facing outwards.  I usually finish the inside stuff just by zigzagging the edges although I know there's more proffesional ways of doing things...

6.) On the side cord panels, I tend to sew another seam down the middle just to give it a more crisp/clean kinda look.
http://members.aol.com/comecleanrelax/crisp.jpg

7.) hem the bottom.
8.) insert a drawstring at the top.  I dont have the patience to go into this in depth now but maybe later.   Wink  be careful to make sure the tube the string goes into is PLENTY big enough or it won't gather right.

Things i'd do different next time:
1.) add pockets, maybe at the mock seam in the cordorouy, on the side.  It would be real easy...
2.) take my time in measuring and making things square/straight.  My skirts kinda lopsided  Undecided
3.) put one sided interface on the cotton fabric i use for the middle panels, because over time the cottom does kinda wear out... stretching funny and stuff.. altho its being thin and light weight does make it cooler in the summer, even with the cord on the side... its a tricky situation  Wink

shewww these tutorial things are a lot more time consuming than they'd seem ::wipes sweat from her brow::
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010 02:01:46 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art is why I get up in the morning.  My definition ends there.  It doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define." ~ A.Difranco
SarahFroggy
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004 02:40:40 PM »

very pretty Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elwood

I am the Llama Queen!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004 08:10:15 PM »

I would love to make a skirt like that if you have time to post a tute.  The fabric is beautiful and it fits you great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thewalrusisme
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004 04:16:56 PM »

thanks for the feedback guys.. im trying to piece together a tutorial now.. it's gonna be real rough tho, bc i really dont plan stuff out, i kinda just piece it together as i go lol and try stuff on like 20 times during the process to make sure im not screwing up to badly....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art is why I get up in the morning.  My definition ends there.  It doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define." ~ A.Difranco
cheesedip

Llama? Hmmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004 12:07:07 PM »

That's beautiful, uber-please for a tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."
- G. B. Burgin
monstergirl
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2004 05:25:23 PM »

Ah, that is gorgeous! Since there's no tutorial (yet, hint hint!), I'm wondering a couple things so I can try it on my own:

Is there a panel in the front and back?

Are there side seams (in the purplish material)?

Again, that's an incredible skirt. Reminds me of the 90's...

peace
monstergirl
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thewalrusisme
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2004 07:04:28 PM »

Ah, that is gorgeous! Since there's no tutorial (yet, hint hint!),

thanks... and i swear ive got diagrams drawn and everything, im just trying to word it in a descriptive/non-flakey kinda way

Is there a panel in the front and back?
4 total panels

Are there side seams (in the purplish material)?
yep, they aren't "necessary" but i think it creates a cleaner look.... even when covered in mud from dancing in the grass barefooted  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Laney

You could be as hated as me if you only tried.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2004 12:29:59 PM »

Grin
Thanks for posting a tutorial. I live in skirts, so any new ways to make them is totally appreciated. I'll definately try this.
By the way, your skirt does rock!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are people who have money
and there are people who are rich.
--Coco Chanel
jaden
"hey Dracula!,I heard you SUCK!!!"

"hey Dracula!,I heard you SUCK!!!"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2004 02:13:27 PM »

thats an awesome skirt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thewalrusisme
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2004 02:16:40 PM »

yay! for all the compliments, thanks guys... Grin
Unfortunately the cord i was using in the drawstring unraveled when i washed it  Roll Eyes  so now i need to find a string that won't unravel but will fit thru the grommets.... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Starbucks-Inspired Crumb Cake Recipe
Hailee Steinfeld’s Chocolate Chip Sea Salt Caramel Cookies
Ed Sheeran Puts the "Ginger" in Gingerbread Guitar Cookies
How To Make Natural Red Velvet Cake Without Dyes
How to Make Chocolate LEGOs
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...