A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,363
Currently Running With Scissors:
411 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting Sports Bras  (Read 4478 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

detritus
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006 06:02:50 PM »

I have the same kind of problem with anything poky or itchy on my clothing (the first thing I do when buying new clothes is remove the tags with a seam ripper). I don't get quite as irritated with elastic as you seem to, but I'm not sure knitting a bra is the answer.

I knit a bra/bikini top pattern that (used to be) offered for free on Rebecca online. Issue 18, pattern 13/14 bikini with ribbed pattern. I've found the larger size of handknitted stitches irritating in their own right. However, this may have been the unstretchy, relatively "hard" rayon yarn I used. Maybe if you used cascade fixation like was suggested earlier. Anyway, I thought the pattern was well-written, easy to follow, and it fit (I'm a 34B). I altered it slightly to make the straps crossover in back instead of making the original halter-style top.

As an aside, maybe you are having problems with the elastic irritating your skin because you are buying cheap bras. Have you tried Jockey? I swear by their seamless microfiber "bralettes." True, they give you that sexy uni-boob look but they are so comfortable it's easy to forget you are wearing them. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chocoloka
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2006 06:09:38 PM »

LilMissPink,

That is interesting. Well, I guess I'm just specialWink

So you think a stockinette stitch would work for the band around the torso? I was actually thinking the opposite - rib for the band, and maybe stockinette for the body of the garment.

Hmm...this definitely will be an interesting project. My first step is to find yarn that will work. I'd like to try it in Lion Brand Microspun - it's so soft and comes in lots of colors - I figured it would be the easiest for me to come by, and cheap, to boot. (My more expensive lys's might have Cascade Fixation or something like that, but I tend to frequent Michael's Crafts and Joann Fabrics since their prices are easier on the pocketbook. And I like ordering online, but then I have to pay for shipping AND wait for it to come in the mail...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LilMissPink
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2006 08:39:15 PM »

Special people make the world go around.  Cheesy Microspun is my favorite yarn right now and it's actually cheaper online than in the store (at Michaels near me it was 5 bucks and change, online it's only 2.89) and I love the colors. I bbing for the main part and stockinette stitch for the band because the band would hold better if it didn't stretch as much and the main part would hold better if it stretched to fit.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006 08:25:10 AM by LilMissPink » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everybody likes pink. People who think otherwise are in denial.
wispily
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2006 09:08:37 PM »

This is just an idea, but maybe try sewing one with some soft T-shirt fabric?  If you double-side it, it might be sturdy enough, but it is still stretchy and has a lot of give.  And perhaps you could finish the bottom off with ribbon or bias tape and then tie it behind so that there is more support on the bottom.  If you don't hem it, it probably won't take that much sewing--mostly cutting the shapes, and then sewing it at the sides.

I don't know if that is a ridiculous option or not, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewberrycrazy
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2006 06:45:52 AM »

Here's a couple I found... 

http://www.rebecca-online.de/cont_en/anleitungen/heft_18_anl_13-14.pdf

http://www.ornaghi.it/modelli_en/costume.htm

I think the first one might work the best, and if you don't like the length, just make it shorter.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LilMissPink
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2006 07:36:03 AM »

I've come up with another option- I remeber last summer I had a couple of one-size tops that were extremely stretchy and small when not worn. I wore them on their own without a problem. Maybe you could get those kind of shirts to wear under other shirts? I forget what they were made of, probably lycra.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everybody likes pink. People who think otherwise are in denial.
chamaecyparis
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2006 08:14:07 AM »

Barely There makes some really lightweight bras that have stretchy fabric, but don't have an elastic band... you could try that.
As for knitting a sports bra- I think you're right, you'd want to do ribbing for the band and stockinette for the rest of it.  It seems like you could modify the 1930 one from knitty pretty easily.  I'd think twice about using lion brand microspun, though.  I used it to make a pair of fingerless gloves, and I have a few critiques of it:

1) even though it's really soft, it's still acrylic- which means it's not very breathable when you knit at a tight gauge
2)it's also a little bit stiff when knit at  a tight gauge
3)it tends to pill
4) its a pain in the ass to work with (splits like crazy) 
5) i've also noticed that acrylic garments tend to pick up odors- so it might not be great for something you're exercising in.

I think your best bet would be cascade fixation or something similar, or a 100% cotton yarn.  I hope you figure out somethign that works for you... bras are so annoying.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chocoloka
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2006 10:25:25 AM »

Wow - all great comments, thanks ladies! (I hope this thread is helpful to others, too...)

I purchased the Microspun today - they have this great nude color in Michael's that I didn't see online. (And LilMissPink, thanks for the online reference... I did check there, but decided to purchase it at my local Michael's since they had it for 3.29, and I figured with shipping it would be nearly the same.)

Thanks chamaecyparis for the caution about Microspun. I did make a shawl out of it last summer, so I'm familiar with the splitting difficulty. That part truly is a pain. I guess I figured since I'd be knitting it (the shawl was crocheted), I might not have as much of a problem with it. And your point about its breathability (or lack thereof) is something I'll pay attention to. I suppose if worst comes to worst, I tear it out and make it with something else. (And I'm going to check out Barely There - thanks!)

Thanks also wispily and sewberrycrazy for your suggestions. Sewberry, I checked out that site - it's another great option and I may try it. Wispily, I'm steering clear of anything that needs to be sewn for the moment, but I may try your idea in the future.

Look out everyone - I'm reinventing the bra!!!!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soadchik
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2006 11:59:51 AM »

I too used to get pains in my chest and back because of my bra... the solution.. I broke down and went to victoria's secret and got measured.. I was wearing a 34 A.. when in fact I was a 36 B.. OMG my chest feels so much better now  LOL  I guess my birth control made my boobs grow b/c I was an A a year ago.. and the pains just started in the last 2 months or so... anyhoo.. I also switched from getting padded bras to getting unlined and thinly lined bras.. and that helps too.  ever since I got the right size bra.. I havent had any pains.. so getting fitted might help a bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rhiandmoi
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2006 12:23:24 PM »

I have to agree with everyone else about getting fitted for a bra. I would say that if anything you are probably a 34 or 36 AA as oposed to a 32 A just because of the way that you are describing your bras fitting. Your band size is too small if your elasitic is cutting into your armpits or you are in actual pain from wearing your bra. Now being a 34 or 36 AA isn't really going to be much help as far as store bras goes since those are hard to find outside of training bras or extremely expensive specialty bras.

As far as making a bra, I would use a sock yarn that is nylon cotton blend with elastic in it. It is slightly more expensive but it will wear better. As far as making a bra if you don't really need support it is pretty easy. First take your under bust measurement. This will be a pretty small number. Probably around 29-30. Knit in the round on a 1x1 or 2x2 rib for about 1-5 inches. Then take your over bust measurement. This is around your body right under your armpits. This will probably be 34-36. Increse your stitches accordingly. Knit in stockinette or a nice flat laying lacy pattern for about 3-3.5 inches. The next part will be the trick part. You need to take your cross back measurement and your cross front measurement and figure out how deep you are. So you will start at the beginning of your round knit enough stitches for your crossback measurement, bind off for your depth, knit across your cross front measurement and bind off for your depth again. You should be back at the beginning of the row. Then you can follow the measurements for the Honeymoon Tank as far as making the straps.(Not the stitch counts, the measurements you will probably have a much smaller guage).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Pick the Prettiest Hair Color Without Any Fuss
DIY Orange Zest and Almond Oil Sugar Body Scrub
New Year Eyeliner Upgrade
The Perfect Facial for the New Year
How to Get Thicker, Fuller Brows
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...