A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
421 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Imaginary Bloo Mittens (Pattern/Tutorial)  (Read 38831 times)
Tags for this thread: mittens , pattern , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Malinki

Trying everything once!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: February 24, 2006 11:02:16 AM »

I made these mittens for a swap, I was swapping with a Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends fan who wanted some mittens (it was a wishlist based swap) and this is what I came up with:

I made up the pattern because I wanted a two needle mitten pattern with a flap top:

It is possibly the simplest flip-top mitten pattern I could come up with, I didn't want to use DPNs because I am a fairly new knitter and this was an istant swap.   Grin The details were stitched on in felt. 

Bloo is the coolest character in the world, now I want to work out how to knit Eduardo!

Okay here is the pattern, for a women's size, medium ish... I used size 4mm (7 US) and 5mm (8 US) and chunky (which is thicker then US Chunky, so maybe US bulky) weight wool, with a gauge of about 6 stitches to an inch.  The yarn is from the UK, and it is "Peregrine Chunky", I picked it up in my LYS, the colour is Butterfly.   I used exactly 1 100g skein, unfortunately it doesn't list the yardage on the label. 

Flip top mittens, makes women’s medium-ish
Cuff:
Using 4.5mm needles and leaving 10 inches tail, cast on 35 stitches.
Row 1 (WS) P1, (k1, p1) across.
Row 2 K1, (p1, k1) across.
Rep Rows 1-2 for approx 5 inches (if you want a turn up cuff, 2.5 inches for no turn up) , ending with RS row. Switch to 5mm. Beg with a purl row, work 7 stocking st rows.

Thumb:
Row 1 (RS) K17; place stitch marker); M1, k1, M1; pm; k17.
Row 2 and all WS rows P across.
Row 3 K to marker, slip marker, M1, k to last st before 2nd marker, M1, slip marker, k to end.
Rep rows 2-3 until there are 13 stitches between markers.

Main bit of the mitten:
K17 sts; remove markers and place the 13 sts on stitch holder ; k17. Carry on in Stocking stitch until piece measures approx 5.5 inches from the cuff.  End on a WS row, placing a marker between two center stitches. Bind off.   
Pick up 17 stitches from about 5/8th of an inch from the top on one side of the mitten (the side you pick up from with depend on which hand you are knitting, but for the left hand pick up from the left section and for the right side from the right part) Cast on another 17 stitches so you have 34 sts.  Carry on in stocking stitch for 2 inches (less if you have smaller hands)

Top Shaping: Row 1 (RS) *Ssk, k to within 2 sts of the central marker, k2tog; ssk, k to within last 2 sts, k2tog. rep from *, ending row with k2tog.
Row 2 P.
Rep these 2 rows 3 times – 18 sts.
Next Row K2tog across.
Next Row P.
Break yarn. Using yarn needle and beginning with last stitch on needle, pull tail through remaining stitches twice, pull tightly.

Thumb Top bit:
With RS facing, return stitches from holder to 5mm needle. Join yarn and k across.
Next row P6, p2tog, p6. Work 4 more rows in Stocking stitch.
Last row K2tog along the whole row. Break yarn. Thread tail into yarn needle and back through stitches twice.
Stitch it all together!

Attatch a small loop of either icord or chain stitch or finger knitting to the top and work out where the button needs to sit in order for the flap to button down, sew on buttons!

The face is stitched on felt
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012 03:47:12 PM by sweets4ever - Reason: Edited to bring tutorial/pattern to first post. :-) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
dollface
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006 11:21:07 AM »

OH MY GOODNESS!! those are the cutest things i have seen in a LONG time! i love foster's and bloo!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

krajackex

Lingering death is a dark shade of white.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006 11:25:28 AM »

Those mittens are FANTASTIC.  I have seen a few other fosters related items here, and I'm thinking we should totally get a fosters swap going.  I love Fosters!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Malinki

Trying everything once!

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006 11:29:48 AM »

There was a Foster's swap when I was first here on this site... but I was too much of a newber to join in! I am totally up for a Foster's swap part 2!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jetgrrl
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006 11:58:49 AM »

SOOOOOO Cute! I love Boo and those are a perfect likeness. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ataindre
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006 12:04:40 PM »

Wow, those mittens are really cute! Any chance you'd post the pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cherry blossom

nice head...i think i'll take it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006 02:00:05 PM »

its BLOOOOOOOOO !!!  i LOVE these!  they're so awesome Smiley  wow.  *stares*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006 02:19:32 PM »

Those are so cute! I would love a pair if I wasn't living in south texas!  Wink  And I LOVE your avatar!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006 02:30:13 PM »

Hey you guys round two is just about to begin... http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=48417.90 come join us~!
I am waaayyy stoked on this one!
The Mitts are out of this world! Great job, love the idea of someone doing something on two instead of DPN's (I'm sooooo intimidated!!!)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006 02:48:01 PM by javastain » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
Aelita

Yes I am Goth.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006 02:43:36 PM »

Those are so cute Bloo is my second fave after Mac on the show. Those are sssssoooooooo cute. Great Job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There will always be people who say mean words  because you are different, and sometimes their minds cannot be changed. There are many more people who do not judge others based on how they look or where they are from. THOSE are the people whose WORDS truly matter.

http://li-lis-page.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Stick Figure Animations - in Pivot
How To Make Watermarks
How to make HD Videos Using Cyberlink Power Director
How to Design a Haunted House Part 1/3
How to Design a Club Flyer - Putting it all together 13/14
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...