A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,082
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tell me about Ohio....  (Read 12491 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2005 12:49:14 PM »

I grew up in Ohio...first Alliance and then Medina. I wasn't big on Medina then but I hear it's gotten pretty cool. Hmmm... there's a big difference between Northern and Southern Ohio. I like the Cleveland area although it tends to be hard-hit when the economy falters. The area up near Port Clinton and the islands is GORGEOUS. It's the classic midwest, the north is more industrial and the south is more agricultural. I was a mid 80's punk and have fond memories of going to shows and shopping in Cleveland. Hmmm...still visit but no plans to move back. The CAC in Cincinnati looks pretty cool. If you are looking at small towns I would definitely look at college towns for more culture, more stuff to do, more liberal mindset etc. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
alacarte
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2005 12:53:17 PM »

I was born and raised in Newton Falls Ohio.  Zip code 44444- don't laugh, we're proud.  It's right next to Warren and not far from Youngstown.  I lived in Ohio until I was 23 and the whole time I couldn't wait to leave.  I wanted to live somewhere exciting.  I've lived in LA for 1.5 years and I like it but I've realised that there's nothing boring about Ohio.  I miss the old buildings, the independent stores that try so hard (they're a dime a dozen here), the local festivals, and the trees, trees, trees.  I even miss the overcast days (or weeks, or months).  I recently read in the LA times that the Youngstown/Boardman area is the fastest declining area in the country.  Other areas in Ohio also made the list.  Everyone is moving out and looking for jobs.  If the public school system is able to turn itself around and start hiring teachers again I'm moving back.
I was looking at real estate online and found some of the most beautiful houses in the world right there in Youngstown for less than 100,000.  You need 600,000 to start looking at two bedroom here.
Serioulsy, Ohio has stuff to offer everyone and it has everything from ghost towns (from when the mills closed) to gorgeous tudor mansions in Shaker Heights.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2005 01:02:45 PM »

Oh, and if you decide to move here, you HAVE to visit the Ohio State Reformatory in Mansfield. It's the prison they used in The Shawshank Redemption, and it's such a neat place to search around in.

That place scared the CRAP out of me as a kid! My Mom would always tell me a scary tale of her delinquent cousins who went there and "were never the same"! I bet they weren't! That place is creepy!!  *shivers*
Another cool history thing I remember is LOTS of houses had tunnels and secret rooms from the Underground Railroad days. pretty cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
tattooed_dork

physics makes us all it's bitches

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2005 09:49:22 AM »

I miss the old buildings, the independent stores that try so hard (they're a dime a dozen here), the local festivals, and the trees, trees, trees.

i do live in a national forest. that is one thing that i will miss when i move away. especially this time of year when all of the colors are at their brightest.

Another cool history thing I remember is LOTS of houses had tunnels and secret rooms from the Underground Railroad days. pretty cool.

the house that i last lived in was built in the early 1800's and renovated sometime in the early twentieth century to an apartment building. it was a huge, beautiful 3 story victorian house. the third floor was a ballroom. it's owners during the underground railroad would throw huge parties there and invite all of the important ppl in town. the noise was such that they could sneak slaves thru the tunnels under the building. the tunnel is still there and connects to another house on the block. there are tunnels all over my town left over from the underground railroad. i wish i weren't so claustrophobic so i could explore them some.

another thing historical i like about ohio is there are lost of interresting things to do regarding native american history. serpent mound, the adena mounds, fort anchient are all pretty amazing, at least for a history dork like myself. Smiley the shawnee tribe was prolific in my area. i've studied a decent bit on tecumseh and his brother the prophet. (the story of prophet, i believe is much more interresting then more well known tecumseh. http://www.biographi.ca/EN/ShowBio.asp?BioId=37811) i can't tell you how many times i would go walking in the woods when i was a child and would find an arrowhead or two. i'm fairly certain that growing up here has fostered my love of history.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"This calls for a delicate blend of psychology and extreme violence."

support a tattoo craft challenge! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=16743580.0
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2005 08:53:04 PM »

At the moment, I live in Canton, but in less than a month I'll be moving to Columbus for school. There isn't much I can say about Canton, as it's rather slow where I live. Columbus, however, is an awesome city (from what I've seen, at least). It comes off as a place that's really hard to be bored in, but my opinion might change once I've lived down there for awhile.

There's a lot of flea markets around here, which is probably one of my favorite things about Ohio. There's a huge one down in Hartville that me and my friends visit regularly.

Oh, and if you decide to move here, you HAVE to visit the Ohio State Reformatory in Mansfield. It's the prison they used in The Shawshank Redemption, and it's such a neat place to search around in.

I've been in Columbus (Reynoldsburg, to be exact) since 2002 & yet to be bored yet... we are *still* discovering new things.  I loves it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happier than a unicorn eating cake on a rainbow.
alacarte
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2005 05:23:58 PM »

That place scared the CRAP out of me as a kid! My Mom would always tell me a scary tale of her delinquent cousins who went there and "were never the same"! I bet they weren't! That place is creepy!!  *shivers*

I went to Ashland University which is very nearby.  I think the Reformatory is one of the most beautiful buildings I have ever seen.  Seriously.  I went on a "haunted" tour and I just could not get over the elegance of the whole thing.  What a great piece of history.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2005 07:22:35 PM »

I went to Ashland University which is very nearby.  I think the Reformatory is one of the most beautiful buildings I have ever seen.  Seriously.  I went on a "haunted" tour and I just could not get over the elegance of the whole thing.  What a great piece of history.

I always just saw it from the road and my mom would launch into her spiel. (I think she was trying to scare my brother and I to keep us out of trouble,  Cheesy ) My Dad was in the reserves at that base in Mansfield but we weren't over there much. Maybe I should check it out up close to overcome my fear! It does sound really cool but it's pretty menacing from the distance! I didn't know it was open to the public.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Things
econolines r 4 girls

yuppy girls can't pull this off

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2007 07:59:10 PM »

Just a note about Yellow Springs, Antioch college is closing, it will probably change the town...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*go vegan*
for YOU, for ANIMALS, for EARTH
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2007 09:24:51 PM »

Wow, I didn't know that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happier than a unicorn eating cake on a rainbow.
fallencupid
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2007 01:07:39 PM »

I lived in various parts of Ohio all my life. Born and grew up in C-bus (that's Columbus to the locals), moved to Bowling Green to go to college. Which has absolutely nothing to do; you are in serious BFE town (i.e school being surrounded by corn). Then I moved to be with my boyfriend, eventually got married to him and now we live in Mansfield. Which as a few have mentioned has several sites that Shawshank Redeption was filmed at.

If you want anrtsy I suggest finding your way to the Short North in C-bus. I love that place! Gallery hop night is when the galleries have their places open late (1st Saturday of each month). The North Market, which is in Short North, is fun place to visit; good food and market days are a fun experience too. I like hanging around OSU too. Always something going on around there. Those are my two cents.

I need to visit that hippie town people are talking about on here.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use a Curling Iron
How to Use a Hair Dryer
How to Tease Hair
What Is the Secret to French Hair
Top Tips for Short Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...