A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
591 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tell me about Ohio....  (Read 12685 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mybee
« on: June 25, 2004 09:31:54 AM »

A while back I was in serious consideration of moving to Ohio (from NJ) I can't explain exactly what is is that attracts me to your state...

The feeling is coming back again.

Will anyone share what they love about where you live in the state?  Where do you recommend one could find a happy place to live?

I'm not particularly  drawn to the city, more to a town...affordable,         somewhat artsy, healthy, lots of potential and good vibes.
  any input will be welcome!!!
Thank you!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
tenshiko

What Willis was talkin' bout

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004 01:08:32 PM »

You might want to check out Yellow Springs then.  I'm from near Cincinnatti, and everyone I lived near said Yellow Springs was where all the hippies and weirdos lived.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dahlea
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004 01:15:54 PM »

Don't move to Marietta then! That is where I am from and I've never been in a more close-minded, redneck area! lol, seriously though. Nowhere near there. Plus it's too close to West Virginia for comfort!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mybee
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2004 10:16:44 PM »

Weirdos...
well anyway are they health concious and into a non-tradiional lifestyle?

Hmmmm,... weirdos.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
udandi

www.udandi.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004 07:40:18 AM »

I grew up and still live in the 'burbs of Cincinnati and I know it's not for everyone. 
*I like that affordable at least compared to a city like Chicago.
*We have access to some bigger city attractions but it also has a smaller downhome feel, at least, in my area 
*I love the city and church festivals held throughout the year
*I'm within 5 hours driving time to a variety of cities

*I'd not fond of the sales tax being 7% in Ohio, but eh my sister lives in Indianapolis so I like to shop over there with their 4% sales tax
*you probably have to work a little harder to find the artsy areas though there are options for opera and plays
*the bus is the only public transit and most people who live in the 'burbs have cars
*our 'burbs could have been better designed with more sidewalks and mixed use zoning (commercial and residential) to promote more walking and biking
THIS ROCKS   Logged

---
short attention span projects at http://www.udandi.com
bookgirl
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004 08:21:50 AM »

You might want to check out Yellow Springs then.  I'm from near Cincinnatti, and everyone I lived near said Yellow Springs was where all the hippies and weirdos lived.  Grin

I LOVE Yellow Springs!  I went to college in Springfield (the next town over and the armpit of the Midwest -- please avoid), and it's just the greatest town.  Funky restaurants, bookstores, The Little Art Theater for indie flicks, Antioch College for that hippie flavor, hiking in the beautiful Glen Helen Preserve, and it's just down the road from Young's Jersey Dairy = home of some of the best friggin' ice cream anywhere.  http://www.yellowsprings.com/  It sounds like it could be a good match for you, if you're looking for a vibrant, artsy, progressive kind of town.  And it was so much cheaper living in Ohio than in New England!

I love being back East, but still, 10 years later, I do miss Yellow Springs.

Plus, that part of Ohio is just gorgeous -- rolling hills, huge solitary oaks in the middle of fields of hay, pretty farms.  Classic summer Americana.  Best auctions I've ever been to, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookgirl
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2004 08:30:30 AM »

I went to college in Springfield (the next town over and the armpit of the Midwest -- please avoid)

I'm realizing I may get in trouble for that one.  Apologies to any denizens of Springfield.  There just wasn't much going on there in the early 90s, and living near Yellow Springs (and Columbus and Cincinnati and even Dayton) definitely helped almost everyone I know who lived there.  Maybe it's different now, but at the time, truly a grim place to live.

Oh, and no weirdos in Yellow Springs.  Just a bunch of people doing their own thing (alternative lifestyles tolerated, respected and even encouraged).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whitebeltamerica
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2004 12:38:34 AM »

I live in Lakewood Ohio, it's the first suburb west of Cleveland, you don't really have to leave this city for much, it has fantastic family owned shops, cool bars, parks, the lake, fun places to eat... so forth.
Lakewood is actually one of the most populated cities (by area) between ny and chicago... so it might not be for you... there are 60,000 people in 5X5 miles, but it's super fun, very laid back.... You are right by Cleveland where there are tons of art gallaries and fun things to do...
Yellow Springs reminds me of Lakewood a lot except more of a hippie town, I work for an environmental group, so I'm down with that, but the area is too small for me, and the closest big city is Dayton Ohio, which isn't too big at all.
I moved to Ohio three years ago from Orlando Florida and I absolutely love this state, most people that I know that were born and raised here don't, but perhaps it's because they haven't experienced other places?
The rent is pretty cheap, the people are friendly, there's culture, and neat little things to see and do, plus it's Cleveland is close to all kinds of major cities that are fun to visit (Chicago 5 hours away, DC 5 hours, Detroit 2, Pittsburg around 2).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<i>Vanessa America<i/>
magdelena
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2004 09:37:19 AM »

At the moment, I live in Canton, but in less than a month I'll be moving to Columbus for school. There isn't much I can say about Canton, as it's rather slow where I live. Columbus, however, is an awesome city (from what I've seen, at least). It comes off as a place that's really hard to be bored in, but my opinion might change once I've lived down there for awhile.

There's a lot of flea markets around here, which is probably one of my favorite things about Ohio. There's a huge one down in Hartville that me and my friends visit regularly.

Oh, and if you decide to move here, you HAVE to visit the Ohio State Reformatory in Mansfield. It's the prison they used in The Shawshank Redemption, and it's such a neat place to search around in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redthewitch75
You are Here.

"If love is a labour, I'll slave til the end!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004 10:18:26 AM »

Well, I live in New Paris, which is right on the Ohio/Indiana border. Minutes from I-70.Extremely close to Richmond, In and a decent drive to Dayton, Yellow Springs (great community there!), Oxford, Hamilton and Cincy. Also decent drive to Indy. I really like the location for that, plus you get the nice small town feel. Things are reasonable here, people are nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love you more than cheese!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10173989@N00/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Summer 2014 Wardrobe Staple: Denim
Charlize Theron Looks Stunning in an LBD
A Prom Dress That Will Makes You Shine with Hollywood Glam
Picking a Simple Dress with a Major Wow Factor
Two Ways to Wear Gingham Skirts
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...