A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
491 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tell me about Ohio....  (Read 12747 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2005 05:03:50 PM »

I grew up in Ashtabula (the very northeast corner of Ohio, along Lake Erie & the Pennsylvania line)... it's a VERY rural town... but gorgeous along the lake, metro parks & farm land.  I wouldn't ever move back there... in fear of being bored to death, but it's nice to visit family there sometimes & watch sunsets on the lake.

I lived in Akron, then Canton...for a total of about 2 years... ok cities.  A few "clubs" downtown, nothing to write much about though.  Malls, stores, flea markets.  I worked a lot when I lived there...and found myself travelling out of state, so maybe that was a clue I should have picked up on Wink  OH.  Right before I left Canton...they opened a lovely Strip Club/Chinese restaurant, LOL.  Sorry... I just thought it was a hilarious combination.

Now (and for the last 3+ years) I live in Reynoldsburg... it's a suburb about 15 minutes from downtown Columbus.  I *love* it here... if I travel a few minutes east.. I am into farm land & slightly rolling land... if I travel west, I go straight downtown.  The horizons in each direction are exact opposites of one another.  I enjoy the accessibility of museums...a plethora of music venues (Palace Theatre, Newport Music Hall, Polaris, Nationwide, etc.)...Short North is an artist's playland...German Village & the book stores...Victorian Village & the bricks & older homes...shopping in every direction..from City Center Mall, to little mom & pop shops in Pickerington.  I am obcessed with Franklin Park Observatory.. plants, butterflies & art... ah..heaven.  The water front is a lovely stroll on a summer's evening... the parks... running & cycling in the metro parks... accessibility to Hocking Hills an hour south of here (our dogs LOVE it as well)  Thrift stores, gyms, a melting pot of ethnicity...

Ok.. so I like Columbus.. ha.  ;-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
_Steph_
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2005 08:41:21 AM »

LOL - BethyG you live in Ohio? Me too, near Cleveland, and hubby skates there quite a bit. I bet our boys know each other, LOL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Steph~
mireneh

working like a dog?!?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2005 09:52:56 PM »

Ok, not sure if you've made a choice or not.  I was born in Chicago and lived in Darein, IL for a few years as a toddler.  I remember bits and pieces.  I grew up in a farm country part of Ohio.  Went to school in Miami, FL, then moved to Columbus, OH.  Lived there for 6 years or so and then off ot Myrtle Beach, SC.  Lived there for 8 years and still own a condo that someone else gets to enjoy (I've rented it out).

The little town I live in is called Upper Sandusky, not to be confused with Sandusky and Cedar Point.  If you follow the Sandusky river UP from Sandusky you end up in (you guessed it) Upper Sandusky,  Named by the Wyandot Indians and our county is the site of the last indian reservation in Ohio. 

Lots of history here and parts of the Shawshank Redemption was filmed locally - namely, the Courthouse, the lumbermill and a lot of local folks were extras.  Our own local judge and the receptionist at my orthodontist's office. 

It is a small town and everyone pretty much knows everyone else (at least by sight) and there is very little crime.  We do have our share of festivals and the county fair.  Seems there are a lot more crafters around here than I thought!  We have our own sewing machine shop and scrapbook store and even a coffee shop!  We have quite a few of the fast food chains at the intersection of Rte. 23 and Rte. 30 and even a couple of hotels!  We have a few new shops in the downtown area - a candle shop, a gift boutique, a Scottish store to name a few.  I'd love to open up a resale shop around here - I think it would really take off!  But I just don't have the energy to run a business. 

I hated it growing up, but love it now!  The grocery store has baggers that carry your groceries and load them in your car!  And I love going into a shop and not worrying about needing id - they all know you eventually. 

We are north of Columbus and South of Toledo.  There are some larger cities within driving distance (relatively speaking).  Mansfield is about 45 minutes away, Marion is about 1/2 an hour, same to Findlay and Bowling Green.  Columbus is just over an hour depending on traffic.  We definitely have our share of laid-back, do your own thing kind of people. 

I'd say that the most important thing anywhere you live is to know you neighbors and make friends!  They can be a lifesaver (literally!).

Sorry that was so long, but I haven't really thought about living here since I came back.  I guess there are a lot more things I like than dislike!  Although, I do miss the ocean!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Support your local animal shelters and be a responsible pet owner by spaying or neutering your pet.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is waaaay more than being tired - imagine having the flu every day, quadruple that, and that's me on a good day!  No, I did not stay up too late last night either.....
DorkasaurusRex
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2005 07:34:21 AM »

I dunno guys.  I've lived in Cincinnati my whole life.  I currently live in West Chester, a suburb on the north of Cincinnati, which is growing really fast and they are putting in all kinds of new stuff near my house, but it's large chain stuff like Target and Michaels.  I am down in Clifton all the time.  So much that I am looking for an apartment there for the fall (speaking of which, if anyone knows a good place, with cheap cheap rent, please hook me up, right now I'm looking at a place from Uptown Rents.  Sorry, plug!). 

Anyway, I do like Clifton/Northside area, where, aside from the slight ghettoness which has subsided a lot lately, there are some awesome places like Avant Garage, a vintage store that is only open form 8-midnight on weekends.  It's located next to The Coment, which serves the best grey goose martinis and burritos the size of your head in town.  And right down the street there is Jacobs Bar, with 80's night every Friday.  And then up the hill is Ludlow, and Clifton, where I eat at Myra's Dyonisus all the time, and Dowtown Vintage a couple doors down.  Oh man, I hope no one stalks me because I am giving away all my hangouts.

There is that cool stuff, but it's all in that one area.  A lot of the time, especially before I knew where to look, I just feel like this:

(From http://www.toothpastefordinner.com.  I love him, he lives in Columbus.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Then he asked,"Lord, what about when there was one set of footprints on one side and also a straight line with bootprints on one side and small round circles on the other?" The Lord replied, "Those were when I carried you, and we were joined by a pirate pushing a wheelbarrow."
tattooed_dork

physics makes us all it's bitches

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2005 08:24:55 PM »

what ever you do, stay away from the southern/ southeast part of ohio. i live in lawrence co. (probably the poorest co., it's definately in the bottom five.) almost every one here is a right-wing crazy*ss fundy. there are no jobs. pollution is so crazy because a. there's a river for every factory's waste disposal convieniance and b. it's a valley so all the air pollution just settles. most ppl live below the poverty line. and no one cares. it's the neglected step-child part of the state. god, i need to move.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"This calls for a delicate blend of psychology and extreme violence."

support a tattoo craft challenge! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=16743580.0
dee521

bear paws make me happy

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2005 09:00:04 AM »

hi--i grew up in a suburb of cleveland and now live near akron. ohio's....ok. the cost of living is great, but then there aren't as many well-paying jobs for everyone to live like kings. the state's never really figured out how to get good jobs here so it's kinda like, well, here we are, please bring jobs, ok? and a lot of people love to go on about the "good old days." sometimes it's hard to find people my age b/c they've all left for better jobs. but there are some fantastic parks and outdoorsy things to do. and you can get a nice house close to your work (my commute's 15 mins). still, we're not sure if we'll live in ohio forever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sassyfrass
"get in the cool club"

mom said rock it till tha break of dawn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2005 10:30:01 AM »

i live in canton,and it is ok,close enought to akron,cleveland and columbus that i don't mind living here. if you LOOK for things to do here,there are things...they nixed the chinese strip club too!!! hahaha...canton is good for a laugh..i WILL say that. i dunno...i own an art gallery and a custom picture framing studio,and we do well with that here...i have started to branch out to other cities with my stuff though...there are numerous art/craft fairs here...but like i said max 2 hours to other cities,30 minutes to an hour to most...cheap,nice living available...lots of arts groups... Wink... if i could though,i would move to cleveland so i'd start there if i was you...lakewood is rad,ohio city is a favorite of mine too...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shoepuppy
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2005 01:19:03 AM »

I live in west Toledo, and if you're looking for a artsy fun type place... I wouldn't recommend Toledo. There's some fun things to do, but you have to seek them out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beelisty
bitchin' stitcher

* <3 *

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2005 10:15:08 PM »

i'm a little late to the dance on this one, but i live in oberlin, which is a tiny, ultra-progressive (and VERY craft friendly) town about 50 minutes west of cleveland.  we're about 12 miles south of the lake.  it's a college town, so non-academic jobs are at a premium (i work at oberlin college which is how i ended up here), but it's a great town, small, progressive and very beautiful. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make my portrait patterns using PC Stitch.

let me listen to me & not to them.--gertrude stein

gallery: http://www.beelisty.com
blog: http://beelisty.wodpress.com
group blog: http://queercraft.wordpress.com
shop: http://epeolatry.etsy.com
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2005 12:35:09 PM »

i live in canton,and it is ok,close enought to akron,cleveland and columbus that i don't mind living here. if you LOOK for things to do here,there are things...they nixed the chinese strip club too!!! hahaha...canton is good for a laugh..i WILL say that. i dunno...i own an art gallery and a custom picture framing studio,and we do well with that here...i have started to branch out to other cities with my stuff though...there are numerous art/craft fairs here...but like i said max 2 hours to other cities,30 minutes to an hour to most...cheap,nice living available...lots of arts groups... Wink... if i could though,i would move to cleveland so i'd start there if i was you...lakewood is rad,ohio city is a favorite of mine too...

WHAT?!  How could they nix the chinese strip club?  Geez.  LoL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
George Papanikolas Predicts Oscar Red Carpet Hair Trends
Model Chrissy Teigen Inspires a Long Hair Makeover
How to Get the Perfect Shade of Red Hair
ICB by Prabal Gurung Proves Static Hair Can Be Chic and Sexy
How to Do a Messy Faux Bob
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...