A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,111
Currently Running With Scissors:
568 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Easter Bonnet Parade  (Read 1682 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

j_en

Just stumbling through and trying my best.

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2006 06:19:30 PM »

Each year my kids' school has an Easter Bonnet Parade for which the kids (ages 5 to 7) trot around the school hall in home made Easter Bonnets.  Each class has one boy and one girl selected to stand on stage.  All the parents go to watch.  Now, as you can imagine, the parents have concocted the hats and each year they seem to get more ***amazing***.  The majority of kids don't seem too worried by the whole thing, but it seems to be providing an opportunity for a bit of crafty competition amongst the mums.

Anyway, for the last two years I've done my best and my daughter has always had something home-made to take along.  This year my second child has started school so I will have two hats to make and I just can't think of anything unusual that is manageable for 4 and 7 year olds to walk around with on their heads.  Just my own lack of imagination (or lack of sleep) I suppose... but are there any craftsters out there who could throw in some radical ideas for me to work with?  Next year my daughter will be too old for the hat parade (retired at 8!!!) which is a relief, but if it is possible I'd love her to get some recognition, because she is the type of kid who craves it and thrives on praise (dancer, gymnast, fashion fan, etc - get the picture?).  We prefer funky to cutesy and my little boy prefers dinosaurs to bunnies!

Thanks in advance, guys,
Jen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen
Happychick
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006 07:33:08 PM »

ooh, we had something like this when i was younger, my favourite one that i made was an alice band, covered in yellow fun-fur, with pipe-cleaner springs with pom-pop-chicks on the ends. It didnt take very long, and no-one else had anything like it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

j_en

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006 08:29:59 PM »

That sounds very cute - I've got everything I'd need to make it too, so it won't hurt the budget!  I've just realised (gasp) that Easter is drawing closer, closer.  Ugh... and what to make for my son?  Maybe I should try to make one of those "eggmen" headwear items that the Beatles wore in the video clip for I Am The Walrus?  Although the joke would be lost on a little boy of 4 I suppose.

Anyone else out there with a crafty crazy Easter hat parade idea?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen
Scream-a-little
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006 11:14:54 AM »

this is sort of a similar take on the idea.. my book club called the book divas wear tiaras that have been personalized to our interests & loves.. the one diva is a brit so she has a mini flag on hers & a little boy charm cuz she has a son.. i love glittery things so mine has little shiny bits & bobs on it..  Smiley
so why not take some of their toys(little ones of course) & attach them to the hat.. you could just attach them with curling ribbon that stuff you use for presents.. a hat with little dinosaurs could be covered with green easter grass and the little dinosaurs throughout the grass..
as for your daughter, go with the spotlight theme.. take stars cut of cardboard & tinfoil and just attach them all over the place.. glitterize the hell out of it.. should be a fun craft for the 2 of you.. and bonus part really cheap! happy easter!! Scream-a-little
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One shoe can change your life"   Cinderella
tlc1plus3
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006 12:28:43 AM »

our church had done bonnets for the last 7 years, each year i try to come up with something new, one year i made a hat out of newspaper and spray painted it white then added easter grass, and plastic eggs all over it, some were opened with things in them and some were closed with nothing in them, i also tacked  ribbon to the hat. you could use bunnies or  dinosaurs in the eggs on the hat.
or you can do this: make a bunnies hat with ears nose etc..

Cut out ear shapes, using white felt as the outer ear and pink felt as the inner ear.   
enlarge 
   Glue the wiggle eyes in place on the hat.
   Glue the pompoms in place, using pink for the nose and white for the cheeks.
   Glue the inner ears to the outer ears and attach to the rim of the hat.
   Glue the pin back in place on the back of the hat brim. 

you can see it here but it is a pin made from a little straw hat
here > >>>>> http://www.michaels.com/art/online/projectsheet?pid=c00010
thou it is a pin  my aunt made it in to a ball cap style hat, she put the ears (from Bunnie ear headband) on top, and pom poms and pipe cleaners on the bill for the nose and whiskers,  she put on big eyes that she took from an old stuffed animal that had seen better days
she got second, i got first with my newspaper hat
another year i took a white hat and added those flowers on grapevie with ivy (a string of flowers) and some lace ribbon and made a bonnet, it was very simple i used a hot gluegun to tack it in place it took all of 20 minutes to make and i got 1st that year also.
one year a lady took fresh cut flowers from her year and put them on the brim of her garden hat and tied it with ribbon and got 1st.
 hope this helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged
j_en

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006 03:35:30 AM »

I'm loving these ideas!
Okay, so we are inspired, and here's how it's panning out:
My 4yo boy was asked what did he think he would like the best.  Silly of me to make it so open ended eh?  He wanted a tiger mask!  He's very shy usually, and gets upset when he has to perform for an audience, so I am happy to go with the mask idea, it might help - he is an Easter Tiger then.  I have made a kind of joined  hat plus mask out of black cardboard and stuck wavy strips of orange paper all over it.  Because my boy has such a wonderful smile I have made a large cutout area for the mouth as well as the usual eye cutouts, and below the mouth cutout I have stuck on severl white triangle paper teeth.  I will post photos after the parade next Tuesday.
Now my 7yo daughter was giving me attitude, so I said look, it's a big family, and everyone wants extras done here and there - if you want extras too you have to do your share.  She didn't, so I shelved any bonnet plans for her as a disciplinary measure (it's miserable being a tough mum, but have to stick to principles).  Anyway, she backed down, toed the line, and has earned mummy's help in making an easter egg crown - but I am only her helper and she has to do most of the work.
My 2yo will be coming to watch the parade, so I am recycling a papier-mache giant easter egg I made 2 years ago into a kind of wacky helmet tied with ribbon for her.  That way she doesn't miss out on the fun.

I'll post pictures of the whole happy little crew and if folks are interested I can regale you with tales of the crafty input of this year's parade.  Some of the mothers go all out with extraordinary creations, while sadly there are kids there whose parents are battling to work full time and keep up with homework, etc, let alone find time for exotic creations for the hat parade.  I'm aiming for something of a happy medium.

Thanks for all the input - it has helped me stay fresh for this family project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen
tlc1plus3
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006 01:40:15 PM »

i can't wait to see pics., have lots of fun crafting them. good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged
j_en

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006 08:45:53 AM »

Okay, insomnia rules for various grim reasons, but the bright side is that I can post some pre-parade pictures.  We ended up making an Easter Princess Crown for my daughter.  I just started it off and she did every single coloured paper egg herself.  At the top of the crown are ribbons attached to paddle-pop sticks and at the end of each ribbon is another coloured cardboard egg.  She is a wonderful, clever, good, girl.
My son wanted a tiger mask, and as he is only 4 this was a little out of his league.  He did, however, specify the jaggedy teeth and help with sticking on the orange paper stripes.  I am pleased with my innovation to the standard mask - a smile space.  He has such an intoxicatingly hilarious smile that it simply had to peep through.

Youngest (2yo daughter) is not a participant in the parade, but if I manage to get her wearing something interesting for her role as spectator I'll post another pic.
Hope all the Craftsters are having fun this Easter.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011 11:18:00 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen
tlc1plus3
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006 08:10:40 AM »

you all did a good job, i really like the mask.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Selective Editing in Lightroom 4
Taking Advantage of Type Styles in Photoshop CS6
How to Draw Minions from Despicable Me 2
How to Draw Misa Amane from Death Note
How to Draw Milla Jovovich from Resident Evil
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...