A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,148
Currently Running With Scissors:
558 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: silk camisole project (a.k.a. i don't know how to dye!)  (Read 3079 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

juniperl13
The one with the stripes

you look like lunch to me! ^_^

View Profile WWW
« on: June 24, 2004 08:07:21 PM »

i don't know what it is with me and silk recently, but i have yet another project involving silk, a fabric i have hardly ever worked with. i got this lovely cream silk camisole at the thrift store for $1, and it's perfect with the exception of a few hot pink splotches

they're not enormous or anything, but they are noticeable. cream is sort of boring on its own, so i'm using those splotches as a starting point for adding color to this top before selling it. i already have hot pink ribbon, but that doesn't exactly make the splotches seem deliberate. basically it comes down to this: i have to dye this thing. that's fine with me, but for one thing:

i haven't the slightest idea how to dye things (other than stuffing cotton things in the washing machine with salt and copious amounts of rit dye)

i don't want to just cover the cream, because then it's just as solid and boring as before. so what the hell should i do to make the pink blend in?

the dyeing aside, how do you make silk tops adjustable? i try to not make my future ebay items one specific size, because it's bound to be my size and honestly, how many people are built like bloody amazons?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My website is coming together nicely! Please send me feedback, as I don't know how well it works on systems other than mine.

Also, I have a blog at  http://neglectedblog.blogspot.com/
ecinue88

0.5 second attention sp-

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004 08:44:16 PM »

The Carol Duvall show has a bit on handpainting silk ribbon. You could probably use the same method and materials on a silk camisole. Make sure to read the bit at the bottom about heat setting silk.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_needlework_ribbons/article/0,,HGTV_3266_1369995,00.html

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/crafting/article/0,,HGTV_3352_1399743,00.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juniperl13
The one with the stripes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004 09:18:59 PM »

i've been mucking about on the dharmatrading website for the last hour or so and have figured out how to achieve the sort of "watercolor" effect i want. now this just leaves the problem of adjustability......any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My website is coming together nicely! Please send me feedback, as I don't know how well it works on systems other than mine.

SarahFroggy
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004 09:30:21 PM »

not sure if it works on silk but i know people use it for yarn...koolaid? you could mix it and make paints. you'd still need to be able to figure out the painty effect though Smiley but would make a good marketing feature..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juniperl13
The one with the stripes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004 10:35:31 PM »

hey thanks! i completely lack business sense so i never think of things in terms of marketing benefits. i figured out how to get the effect i want (stretch silk, paint sparingly until it loves you).

and still the search for adjustability continues. i realize the thing only has to be a little larger than the bust measurement when it's done.......buuuuutttt......i have all this hot pink ribbon! and some more cream lace! i already used a bit of both to make new straps, but there's MORE! or maybe i'm just Way too fond of lacing   Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004 06:57:28 AM »

you could make a bunch of buttonholes in a line and lace the ribbon through them (along the neckline, or empire style under the bust)  You could do the side ruching thing that's so popular right now (I think you sew a couple of channels on a side seam and attach the ribbon at the top, running through the channels, then you can cinch the shirt up by sliding it up the ribbons and tie them to keep it in place)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juniperl13
The one with the stripes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004 08:15:27 PM »

i like the empire waist idea. i wouldn't even have to do buttonholes, actually. the lace i have has perfect buttonhole shapes running down the middle of it. if i just sewed it on along its edges i could lace the ribbon through that and wouldn't have to worrk about mangling the silk with a buttonhole foot. thanks for the idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

juniperl13
The one with the stripes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2004 09:27:54 PM »

back to the topic of dyeing...do i Have to stretch silk before i paint it? i really want this to be as quick and easy as possible. i'm not painting on a specific pattern or anything. just random splotches with one color. will something go horribly awry if i don't stretch my silk?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ilsa

...but what do I know.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2004 09:42:48 PM »

How about three different versions of the same camisole by adding little loops and laces: Lacing on the side, lacing on the back, lacing on the front. Somehow, if it's done right, lacing always makes underthings seem comfortable but sexy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juniperl13
The one with the stripes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2004 11:25:25 PM »

i was thinking of tacking some of my buttonhole lace on princess-seam style and lacing it up like that. i'm terribly fond of the empire waist idea, though, and i'm not sure how well having both things would work.... oh, well. at least i have until my silk paint shows up to figure this out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Trendy Tushie Huggers from Agoo Clothing
Stella McCartney for Gap Kids and Baby Gap Spring/Summer Collection
Agoo Clothing for Active Babies
How to Choose Organic Baby Clothes
Baby Hair Clips
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...