A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,083
Currently Running With Scissors:
467 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing Pattern Swap?  (Read 518 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kooky
« on: May 13, 2006 01:45:48 PM »

Not sure if this is the right place for this...please let me know if it isn't!
I've participated in swaps like this in the past, but I have yet to see it here on Craftster. The idea is to swap or lend out sewing patterns, so that we can share our patterns with one another without having to purchase new ones. ( I hate buying new patterns..they can get pricey.) Basically you would make a list of what patterns you have and what patterns you want (By Brand, Size and Number). Then other people can take a look at the different lists and see which ones they'd like to borrow. All patterns must be complete and the interested parties must pay for shipping. It is just an idea, but I wanted to see if there was interest in such a think. I would be willing to organize it if anyone is interested!
xo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my crafty blog - <a>http://ericamakesstuff.wordpress.org</a>
theaveragedream

beware of those who dislike cats

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006 05:31:05 AM »

Talk about pricey! Always check thrift stores! My local one has TONS and sells them at a quarter a piece!

If I can go find the ones I have, I would participate in this swap. Perhaps it could just be an online swap? Like copy the patterns and send em over?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kooky
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006 10:16:10 AM »

I don't think I was entirely clear on how this works....you don't actually swap patterns so much as exchange them. You don't keep anyone else's pattern, you just use it and then return it. It is a cheap way to try out new patterns.
I hope there is more interest!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kityeyes
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006 10:17:47 AM »

if you copied the pattern on freezer paper that would work that way both people can keep the pattern..i think that would be better and a really good idea..only probley would be finding people who was the same size as you with the pattern you want..but if we got enough people that shouldnt be a problem..

and too if say i wanted your pattern..you could send it and i would send you a small craft item if i didnt have a pattern you wanted or so on and so forth...would that make it easier? just keep it open(the board) and everyone edit there own post to add the patterns they have and there size and if you wanted something on there list you just PMd them so it was confused in the post..then post pics of what we made with that pattern in our own post...

lol yea i really like that idea and..well i think to much lol...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ptarmic wumpus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are in room 2

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006 12:12:34 PM »

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but you might have to be careful of copyright law on this one. Tracing a pattern and sending it to someone else while retaining the original yourself is almost certainly a violation of cpoyright law, and temporarily lending a pattern is fairly dubious - but I am no copyright lawyer. Most pattern companies have stated policies about the use of their patterns - for instance, the big 4 require that if you are sewing outfits for 4 people for money, that you purchase a copy of the pattern for each person, although you could make four items from one pattern for one person with just one purchased pattern.  Tracing a pattern is like making a xerox copy of a book or burning a cd - you can make a copy for your personal use, but not to give to someone else, unless you have special permission from the pattern company. The temporary swapping thing...I dunno.... Huh  Permanently swapping patterns is more likely to be ok.... 

Copyright issues can be tricky, and a copyright lawyer would be the best way to find out the particulars.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I just wouldn't want to see craftster get into trouble....  Undecided

THIS ROCKS   Logged

kooky
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006 12:36:14 PM »

All patterns would be for personal use only, that is one stipulation. And so long as there is no copying of patterns, but JUST the lending of the patterns, there is no copyright infringement. I am in law school, so, yeah. Also, I've done this before. We are just sharing patterns between people, we aren't using them for profit. Thanks for your concern though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Make Turkey Pot Pie
Salmon Cakes Recipe with Melissa d’Arabian
Triple Onion Tart
Turkey Day Leftovers
Perfect Burger Recipe with Bobby Flay
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...