A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,658
Currently Running With Scissors:
460 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideal material to put pattern pieces on?  (Read 1253 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

McJulie-O
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006 06:34:41 PM »

I used to use "Do Sew"- don't know where you buy it these days.
 Do-Sew by Stretch & Sew is a 100% spun bonded polyester pattern tracing material. Trace your size from a multi-sized pattern to avoid cutting the original pattern. 36" wide.

Clear enough (looks like white interfacing) for you to see through to the fabric underneath in case you need to match stripes or plaids or whatever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewPixie
FOC Bandit #12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006 06:39:40 PM »

I currently use a roll of I believe heavyweight newsprint paper. A friend snagged it for me from a printer that could not use the rest of the rolls as they were not enough for runs of the paper if I am remembering correctly.

I have also heard other like those on this thread that use soil seperator sheets or medical exam paper.

Basically the qualities you are probably looking for are: durability - will it hold up to many uses?; markability - if you want to trace onto it (with the original underneath) can you see through it? if you want to trace around something or draw will it hold the ink or pencil and not smear; stability - can you cut out your pieces, pin pieces or markings, etc without it falling apart of stretching out of shape?; storability - if you need to fold it to store it, can you? if you have space to roll it to store it, does it roll well

« Last Edit: February 22, 2006 06:43:49 PM by SewPixie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:See profile for blog & Flickr info!:.
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006 08:00:23 PM »

I have a roll of white butcher paper for most pattern tracing.  For heavy duty stuff (pattern parts that get used a LOT, like my collar and shirt cuff parts and the base for re-creationist t-tunics  Roll Eyes after I wore through six copies of the pattern I gave in.) I copy them out onto poster board or card stock (depending on the size of the piece)  Bennie with card stock is it's easy to trace around, disadvantage is you have to store it in a supersize ziplock bag under the bed.

I've used super cheap non woven interfacing for some, as a combination test fitting, pattern tracing.  Is nice for prototyping and altering a pattern for the initial run.

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006 08:04:49 PM »

I have used old sheets from thrift stores. I cut the pattern out and if I need it to be stiffer for whatever reason, I just iron the pieces with starch. My mother in law turned me on to this, she is freakin awesome, she made my wedding dress out of sheets first for fit, then when she was done, she waxed my eyebrows and bikini  Wink with the leftover strips of sheets and professional wax (she's also an esthatician)!
Sorry about the tangent! Just gotta give the MIL props!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
modpodge
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2006 09:36:36 AM »

i use cheapy cheap lightweight interfacing that you can get at a pretty reasonable price on Ebay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
something_wierd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I like pointy things.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2006 10:38:25 AM »

I use tyvek for small patterns.  I guess you could get the bog rolls of it that they use to wrap houses.  I get mine from the USPS.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polymer Clay Challenge #2 has a winner, RobbinZombie!  her entry was The Kraken  She will receive a prize from Persephone Rose!
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2006 06:56:25 PM »

great tips  thanks  all!!!!     Normally I  use poster board or card stock (never thought or a   sheet or interfacing........ where was my head?Huh?  Why  do they  make them so danged  thin in the first place???  anyone  know?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
xveganettex
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2006 08:03:22 PM »

i usually just use the sunday newspaper...hehe...then i fold the pattern up to put it away..and when i want to use it again i just iron it out straight and pin it to whatever material i want to  cut out Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2006 08:11:51 AM »

great tips  thanks  all!!!!     Normally I  use poster board or card stock (never thought or a   sheet or interfacing........ where was my head?Huh?  Why  do they  make them so danged  thin in the first place???  anyone  know?

it's cheaper and packs smaller, so they can cram more in an envelope and more envelopes in a box.

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Animals
How to Draw a Star
How to Draw a Skull
How to Draw a Rose
How to Draw a Mythical Dragon
Latest Blog Articles
Get Lost in a Book
Meatless Monday: Banana-Pineberry Bread
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...