A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,193
Currently Running With Scissors:
342 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideal material to put pattern pieces on?  (Read 1206 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Marim
« on: February 22, 2006 05:17:52 AM »

I just had fun making a dress from no pattern.  I now want to trace out my dress pieces with added seam allowance onto a nice material that will store well.  What have you used in the past?  (My longest pattern piece goes from my shoulder to my knees).  Right now I can only think of using a good quality wrapping paper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006 05:42:57 AM »

I have an advantage in the fact that I work for an engineering firm.  We have this good quality bond paper that comes in big rolls.  The guys know to save me the ends of the rolls when they are changing them out. 

You could probably find something similar at a teacher supply store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
funkensteins
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006 05:46:57 AM »

I use cheap cotton with no stretch (sometimes walmart has stuff a low as 50 cents a yard). Walmart also sells twin sheets indiviually for about $3, they are low thread count and pretty stiff. They work well for me as pattern material. Old sheets would probably work ok too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

funkensteins.com
missteri
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006 05:59:05 AM »

I used tissue paper in the past but the problem with it is that it tears easily and if you need a bigger piece you have to tape two sheets together but its fairly inexpensive. A cheaper solution is news paper with will hold up better but still needs to be taped together. Now I use tracing paper that comes in rolls alot easier to use and pretty sturdy. Its a little more expensive but if you do alot pattern altering (as I do.) then its more than worth it. You find tracing paper at an art supply store.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2006 06:04:21 AM by missteri » THIS ROCKS   Logged

squirrellypoo

Sew sew sew scandalous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006 07:00:40 AM »

I buy rolls of brown paper at the post office to trace ALL of my patterns. I refuse to cut them!

I lay the brown paper on the (carpeted) floor, lay the pattern piece I'm tracing on top, weight it down with some coins or stones, and then go along the pattern lines with a serrated tracing wheel (they usually come with every sewing kits and no one knows what to do with it!). This makes little dots on the brown paper, which I cut along and highlight marks and write pattern details (piece, size, how many to cut, etc) with a magic marker.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fehr Trade - custom clothing
floggingmolly
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006 07:04:23 AM »

I use Hospital paper rolls, the kind they put on the examination tables/beds at the doctors office. It works really well and its thin enough to trace any pattern but its thicker than the tissue paper so it wont rip easily plus its just about 3-5$ a roll  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jesus saves, Gretzky scores. The workers slave, the rich get more, one wrong move and we risk the cup. so play the man, not the puck!
torilimcadle
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006 07:17:50 AM »

I use packing paper.  The only problem with that is you have to tape the ends together for a longer piece.  I've also used the hospital paper.  It tears easier, but you don't have to tape it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
-Noam Chomsky.
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006 11:33:49 AM »

i like soil separator fabric that i get from home depot, it is non-woven, doesn't stretch out of shape, doesn't tear, folds flat, you can even sew it together if you want to test a pattern before cutting it out of good fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do: www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
Marim
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006 02:57:14 PM »

Thanks for the great ideas guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bqmother
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006 03:57:47 PM »

I use a nonwoven material called "Patternease"  It's like interfacing, but it's twice as wide and often goes on sale at the fabric stores.  You can find it right with the interfacings, and of course it can be used as an interfacing, too.

To strengthen tissue paper patterns, I press the lightest weight iron-on interfacing directly onto the wrong side of the pattern.  (I make scrubs and have used the same patterns for 50 or more sets using this method.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get Back to School Hair
The Simple Way to Tame Frizz
How to Get the Sleekest Deep Side Part Ever
Ponytail Weave: Good Or Bad Idea?
Best Hair Masks
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...