A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,470
Currently Running With Scissors:
553 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Beauty in a Graveyard  (Read 1572 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

suchakaren
« on: February 22, 2006 12:30:33 AM »

As always with my pieces, please no constructive criticism, I just do my work to please my own eye. Thank you though! Saying if you do or do not like a piece is fine, but suggestions for improvement or change I just would rather not have.

I've seen the overly gothic photographs of cemeteries before, and I wanted to do something different. We have a gorgeous historic graveyard in my town and the headstones on some of the pieces are incredible works of art. I think that the craft of tombstone carving is a lost artform that has been replaced with polished granite and I for one think the old pieces are just beautiful sculptures. So I decided to find the beauty in the cemetary.

A photo of my friend creating her own cemetary photographs.

This photograph makes me think of Hemingway's "A Farewell to Arms" and the cycle of life and how it will always continue over death. The grass growing over the stone just seems so symbolic of that.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
halfjackd
Confusing people since 1978

The attention just encourages her.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006 12:51:03 AM »

Your work is so beautiful.  My favorite is the second, it's so striking.  But really, they're all amazing.  My mom instilled in me a love of old cemeteries and I loved the way you captured the stones.

I feel dorky, but I just can't rave enough.  I'm so impressed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If all else fails, hide.  It works for bunnies.

My blog:
Chaotic Crafter

26/100 ATCs completed for the 100 Theme Challenge
Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006 03:12:01 AM »

I really love that last one in particular, but they've all got something striking about them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Exeter_Flud
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006 04:09:02 AM »

I couldn't agree with you more. I love your photography...and not to mention your camera. haha. I had went on vacation to see my family in Illinois, and did the same thing. That was what inspired me to become a photographer. And please don't mind my ramblings, I just woke up, and I'm a little out of it. haha. Here is one pic I took a while back. I hope you like it.

and heres another one...but not taken of a grave stone....

tada!

PS: let me remind you my camera sucks. hahahah <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kiss Me, Hold Me, Eat Me...
suchakaren
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006 02:15:27 PM »

I love your photography...and not to mention your camera.

I always giggle to myself when someone is impressed with my camera, because it isn't ever what people expect. Its a Kodak DX7630 and its only 6 megapixels (i hear some have like 10 now geez) and I got it at walmart for about 200 dollars. I truely recommend it for anyone wanting to do photography but can't afford the 1,000 + dollars for a digital SLR. It has SLR features such as shutter speed, ISO etc, but has great point-and-shoot technology too. Its such a great camera, I rave about it all the time. Kodak makes great cheap cameras.

And thank you SO much! You are so sweet. I was so inspired by the cemetery, its just so interesting how the pieces are displayed in neat rows just like an art gallery. Its inspiration ripe for the picking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suchakaren
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006 02:17:36 PM »

Your work is so beautiful.  My favorite is the second, it's so striking.  But really, they're all amazing.  My mom instilled in me a love of old cemeteries and I loved the way you captured the stones.

I feel dorky, but I just can't rave enough.  I'm so impressed.

Thank you so much! You are so sweet! I like that tombstone the best actually, and its so tall and strong against the sky, it was a great photo op. Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Exeter_Flud
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006 03:05:47 PM »

hahaha well, my camera is only a 3.5 mp and its like a finepix or something. I'm gonna have to keep that type of camera in mind! I just need something thats gonna make my pics look right, but I don't have the money to get a great fantastic $28979825.99 one. hah. So thank you darling! <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kiss Me, Hold Me, Eat Me...
dyingsockgirl
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006 06:23:43 PM »

I think the last picture in particular is really, really beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you really want to hurt your parents and
you dont have nerve enough to be homosexual,
the least you can do is go into the arts.
Kurt Vonnegut, Jr
suchakaren
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006 03:07:09 PM »

I think the last picture in particular is really, really beautiful.

Thank you again Smiley

I liked how it was just nonchalantly leaning there. To put it mildly, just chillaxin on a Sunday mornin in the cemetery. Its one of my favorites.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rachel.in.rainbows
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006 03:29:02 PM »

I agree with whoever it was that is responsible for the first reply.  The second one, I think, is the most striking,and I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Martha Stewart Shows How to Make a Felted Heart Scarf
Martha Stewart Shows How to Make Paper Heart Cutouts
Martha Stewart Shows How to Make Kids Valentine Cards
Martha Stewart Shows How to Make Felt Fortune Cookie
How to Make Heart-Decorated Pillar Candles
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...