A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,777
Currently Running With Scissors:
422 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Opening an etsy shop - do I need a business license?  (Read 33941 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

miz_mook
« on: February 21, 2006 09:58:20 PM »

Hi, everyone.  I'm hoping for a little advice.  (Especially from anyone here in the Seattle, WA area!)  I want to open an etsy shop, but I don't know what the rules are about business licensing, collecting taxes, etc.  I was just looking on some state website on licensing small businesses and all the forms, etc, were freaking me out!

For those of you who opened etsy shops, did you need to apply for a business license?  What's the deal with collecting state tax, and declaring income on federal tax returns?  I'm not expecting this to be a large source of income (I have a full-time job, and this is just a side thing)... but I don't want to tick off "the man," you know.

Any advice on what steps to take or where to find some useful, easy-to-figure-out information would be most appreciated!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
michellegiordano

mgcreations.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006 07:18:01 PM »

You don't need a business licence as far as I can remember, and I didn't see anything about collecting tax, but I live in canada so maybe they just don't care if its not in the states.  why not go to etsy and read the sellers faq, that will get you more answers, but you will have to work for them!   

HTH

Michelle Giordano
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fallen

Don't Turn Around

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006 07:34:07 PM »

No you don't need a business license to open a shop on Etsy. All you need is a paypal account. Good luck with your shop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bobbie2oo4

Show me your website and I will come! :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006 12:10:10 PM »

Every state is different about collecting tax but generally, as far as I know, the rule is that you only collect tax from people that live in your state. And, you likely will not even do that because it is an online transaction.

If you collect tax from everyone - you're required to collect the tax of the state they're buying from... that is if I bought from you, I would pay the FL tax rate and not the WA tax rate. And then you would have to remit that tax payment to FL. Kind of crazy huh? So, you don't collect tax.

About business lisences (sp?) - you can be a sole proprietorship. Here is a link to the IRS where they explain what you have to do:
http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id%3D98202,00.html

Good luck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Need a business website? See pageBuzz.com - ultimate do it yourself solution for $9.99/mo- includes everything, even a shopping cart!

Advertise your crafts for FREE? Check out http://craftersbuzz.com
digitalmaven
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006 04:26:45 PM »

Well, you don't need to actually provide any business info/tax id to the etsy folks just to create an account.  However, if you're going to be selling things and running a proper business, you should probably be registered with the government, both locally and nationally, for tax purposes.  This woulld include getting a proper tax id, registering your business' name with the county/town, and all that, which depends on where you live.  Not everyone does all of this though, especially for those of us who only sell a few items on the side, but technically you're supposed to for anything you sell.

I hope this helps! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
froggerng
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006 06:11:10 PM »

I haven't done anything, although I should.  I don't want any extra paperwork just to make a few extra bucks, and I certainly don't want to pay taxes.  I think if you're only doing it "on the side" to make a lil extra money to buy more craft supplies, you don't need to register or get a license.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy store!
http://viridian.etsy.com
Sockdiva
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006 06:11:26 PM »

I think you need to make around $400 a year at least, or else it's considered a hobby. I plan on keeping track of things, and see if I even get close. Then I'll do the work, otherwise, it's a hobby in my book!

Sockdiva!

« Last Edit: February 20, 2007 01:05:11 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://sockdiva.etsy.com
Omiyage, unique yarns, fibers, and jewelry

http://deedolce.blogspot.com/
1ArtsyChick
Mixed Media Maven

"Art" or "Sanity"? I choose Art!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006 06:24:09 PM »

You don't need a business license to open up your Etsy shop, but it's good business practice. Licensing your business encourages, maybe even forces you to take your shop and your business seriously, IMHO, and legally/technically, it's required for tax purposes.

The "hoops" you have to jump through aren't particularly arduous, especially for sole proprietorships. I'm in Arizona, and I registered my business name with my state and county. Next, I registered for my TPT (Transaction Privilege Tax aka sales tax) license, again for my state, county, and city. I fill out a simple monthly tax form, regardless of my sales, and that's that.

Registering for a business license, aside from giving you more legitimacy, also allows you to purchase your supplies at wholesale prices, which may become an issue if your business explodes -- and I hope it does!

Blue skies,
1ArtsyChick
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dream big -- but always dream with your eyes open."
pastiche
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006 02:03:32 PM »

sorry to bring this topic up again, but i didn't want to start a whole new thread. i've been wanting to open my etsy shop for a while, but i'm still confused about the "business" end. i understand that etsy doesn't require you to be a registered business, but i feel like it would be easier for me if i kept things separate, ie, separate bank account, paypal, credit/debit card, etc. and to open a business bank account, i would obviously have to register as a business. anyone else have any info about this? i'm just so confused and i don't know where to start!!! i'm not planning on making huge money off of this, but i'd rather do it the right way to start off, just in case, one day, i end up doing this full time. i can dream, right? haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

henri

Good for nuthin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007 10:34:03 AM »

Hi!

I'm wanting to start a craft business through ETSY.  Here's a couple of questions I have:

1.  Will I need a business license?  I really don't have much cash to put into fees and licenses. 
2.  My husband has a couple of LLC's dealing with real estate.  Is there a way, for tax purposes, that I could lump my business up under his with little effort?

Currently, I don't plan to attend any craft fairs, although I may later.  I already have most of my crafting supplies ready to go.  I'm basically clueless and nervous as all get out about doing this.  I really don't want any IRS trouble, but at the same time, I need the cash pretty bad.

Thanks for the help!

Henri
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would rather be bitten by a snake than walk thru a spiderweb and not know where the spider is!

My Blog:  http://allthingsshea.blogspot.com/
My Etsy: http://www.sjmercure.etsy.com
On Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/sjmercure
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Duct Tape Woven Belt
How to Make a Duct Tape Travel Shower Caddy
How to Make a Duct Tape Sunglass Case
Pretty Savvy: Tie Dye
How to Make a Striped Friendship Bracelet
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...