A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,615
Currently Running With Scissors:
852 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Old" Book  (Read 2153 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hornedtoad
« on: February 21, 2006 09:41:32 PM »

At my highschool's theatre, we are doing Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream.   I'm making some of the props for it, and today's homework was to make the Player's script and almanac.

I burned the edges of some paper, soaked it in tea, then tied it together.  (I even soaked the twine I used!)
(I have yet to put any words down... I have horrid hand writing skills, and I'd like to find someone who can do calligraphy.)

Now, to me, this looks pretty darn cool.  But I think I got a little carried away on the burning, as you can probably tell from this picture of some of the pages:

(I even burned the edges of the string...)

I honestly don't think this is what we need for the play.  Now I'm thinking I'm going to keep this little book for myself, and making a new book for the prop.  I'll still soak the pages in tea, giving it a little more aged/parchment look, but instead of burning the edges, I'll take a pair of scissors, and "distress" them, like this photo:

(Not sure if you can really see it in this photo.)

Hopefully, the next project will be creating the donkey's head for Bottom!

[Now that I relook at the board, I probably should have put this under paper crafts... How lovely, I messed up my first post! Embarrassed]
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006 09:50:49 PM by hornedtoad » THIS ROCKS   Logged

xveganettex
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006 06:03:53 AM »

thats really neato! i always wondered how they got the pages kinda old and brown looking!burning paper is like an addiction haha...maybe im just a pyro  Grin  i think it would be neat if the outer pages were burned a little on the corners and the inside pages were distressed with scissors  Grin
in any case...that would make a really awesome phone number book/journal if you dont end up using it as the prop
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kelsey bo belsey
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006 06:34:38 PM »

I had to do that for school one time....

we had to make diaries of either a pioneer or a pilgrim...

I totally hated the teacher, and the assignment wasn't worth that much anyway, so I ended up making my diary of a totally weird pilgrim/pioneer...

The diary was pretty weird...

I like the paper, though!

(Also, if you want to make it look like something zapped it, you could burn a hole like in the middle...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away...
krajackex

Lingering death is a dark shade of white.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006 11:24:15 AM »

Do you need a sturdy paper to be able to soak it in tea?

I really like the burned paper, but you're right about that being a little carried away for a play's prop script.  Stil, it does look pretty cool.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006 12:16:27 PM by krajackex » THIS ROCKS   Logged
tomico
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006 11:42:34 AM »

I liked what you did. You could also take some very watered down sepia tone and paint the pages with it.
   The book "Paint It Black" talks about aging and altering one of those plain black bound journals. Voltaire also added things like hinges bats sKulls and dripped glue gun glue to the cover and then painted it all black with silver highlights (you could also paint it brown to look like aged leather). It was very goth.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dejavugirl
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006 12:15:05 PM »

Your pages look really cool!

Another idea, if calligraphy isn't up your alley, would be to print off your pages first using an old English or gothic font, before you distress the pages.

I used to do a lot of calligraphy but more often now I find myself using the computer, there are so many awesome fonts out there!!

If you need fonts, try:
http://www.fontfreak.com

A safer way to make the edges look burned is to tear them then brush the torn parts with lemon juice then bake it at a low heat for a while (or use a heat gun, the type that rubber stamp people use, not the type that strips wallpaper!)  It turns a really dark brown.  For my daughter's project, she spritzed the entire page lightly with watered-down lemon juice so it would be light brown all over, then did the edges with full-strength lemon juice to look burned.

Aren't projects like that just soooo much fun?  Smiley

Edited to add:  If you print the pages off first with an inkjet printer, be careful not to get them wet with lemon juice or the ink will run!!  Probably would be okay with laserjet printed pages.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006 12:19:37 PM by dejavugirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

rockfullofawesome
Oh man...

It's a craft to the death...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006 03:55:57 PM »

I really like how the burned edges look! I just love stuff that looks old like that, it has such character. Honestly, I would have kept the first one too  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hornedtoad
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006 09:15:21 PM »

Wow! I didn't expect to get this many replies! Thank you!!

krajackex: This was just plain old printer paper.  The only thing is I ripped some of the pages when I was taking them out of the tea.  Some times that's a good thing, and looks really cool.  But when half the paper sticks to the bottom of the pan and you rip it in two, it's not so good.

tomico: I don't have any sepia tone handy, and tea was fast and cheap.  I'd like to try it with sepia tone, see how it looks in comparison.  Also, I saw some people do this by actually painting with soaking tea bags... I haven't tried it, though.  That sounds really cool, but our play isn't really gothic... Well, except some of the music our sound tech chose. :X I want to try that as my own little project, though...

dejavugirl: I would print it off, but I don't have a printer. Sad  I would print it off at school, but they have it set up so we can't download fonts! I could do it as an image though... hm!!  I really like that lemon juice idea! I'm going to have to pick some lemon juice up next time I go to the store. (Isn't that the way it always is? We've always had lemon juice in the fridge, but when I need it my brother decides to drink it. Ugh!)  Yes, this was so much fun, and I made a huge mess!  (Thanks for the site! And, for feeding my font addiction.)

Thank you everyone!

Here's some new pictures:

A picture of my first batch soaking. I thought it looked really cool.

For the new pages, I first tore off the edges, by creasing and wetting the creases, to give it a real tattered look.  Then, I soaked it.  (No pictures of before, or soaking. Sad)

This is how they came out! Not bad at all.  When I soaked them, the edges were darker than the rest, and it looked really cool. But then they dried, and its barely noticable.  I'm going to have the try the lemon juice idea.  Smiley

I tried to get a couple pictures of the edges.  Here's what came out:

Next task was to get the holes in.  I didn't want to use a hole punch, like I did before.  I took this big metal stake looking thing I found in the drawer. I think it's an ice pick, I usually use it with leather, like putting holes in belts.  I heated it up with my lighter, then (with a sponge behind it), poke a hole in it, wiggled it around.  The first hole came out decent, a little burned.  But I wasn't happy.  I am a pyro, after all.  I took my lighter, and came closer and closer with it until the little edges that were sticking out of the back side of the hole glowed.  I blew it out, and I had a nice little burned hole!

I was really happy, so I started on the next one.  All was good, but then I got too close with the lighter.

Well, shoot.  Good thing I have 20 more!

(Also, I showed my work in process to my ASM, Prop-mistress, and the cast member handling it. They love it!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ktsls82
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006 09:23:02 PM »

These pages will look so cool in a journal. Very unique!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Whaam
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006 11:32:21 PM »

Yay, I have really good memories of doing A Midsummer Night's Dream in high school! (I was Titania)  I think that those pages will look great on stage Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Minute Portrait Retouch By Matt Kloskowski
Photoshop tutorial - Sharpening and Color
Storm of X-Men Photoshop Speed Painting
"Erase" Unwanted Object in Photoshop
DMQT #4 - Final Cut Pro - Working With Transitions
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...