A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 304,742
Currently Running With Scissors:
439 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: MF, Storage closet! D:  (Read 1615 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Rainbowboy;
« on: February 21, 2006 05:48:51 PM »

Undecided

I recently left home to live with my sister and get a job. My moving was spurr of the moment, and unconvenient for everyone but it had to happen.

My sister was going to move out and get a new apt. with two bedrooms, but it's going to take time. I know she doesn't wanna move.

All I have to sleep in, (with a low low low budget we've been trying to make the best of), the storage closet.

It's long..

Ewwie tiles

Its narrow, and the matress bends.

I know, this is nearly pointless to post. It's gonna be hard to think of ideas, just. Please try?

I've been thinking, maybe like, little decoration lights around the top, maybe some posters, A  bunch of small rugs or something. Iono.

I just don't wanna make my sister move. or at least not so hastily.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow
colie
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006 05:59:43 PM »

Hm, what a cozy little nook you have there. The best ways to cheer it up would be lighting and wall color. If you aren't allowed to paint (or don't want to since you will move soon anyway) you could use the flour and water technique to "wallpaper" with anything- fabric, newspaper, craft paper, tinfoil, etc. The great part about pasting with flour is that it will all come down with soap and water.
If it were me, I would line that skinny wall with shelves, for a reading lamp, books, picture frames, and what not. I might even put high up storage above the door. But I am sure you wouldn't want to drill holes in the wall. Is there such thing as a suspension shelf?

edit: I also meant to ask, is there an outlet in there?
also, you could just cover up the gross tiles with a little straw mat or something. or a bath mat. or a welcome mat. ok, i am just being dumb.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006 06:04:55 PM by colie » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Trifarina

apathetic misanthrope

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006 06:05:59 PM »

Don't they always say mirrors make spaces look bigger?

Do you live in an earthquake prone area?  If so I might not hang a bunch of things up that would fall on you.  The wall abutting the futon could get knocked around even without dramatic seismic activity.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rainbowboy;
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006 06:42:01 PM »

Hm, what a cozy little nook you have there. The best ways to cheer it up would be lighting and wall color. If you aren't allowed to paint (or don't want to since you will move soon anyway) you could use the flour and water technique to "wallpaper" with anything- fabric, newspaper, craft paper, tinfoil, etc. The great part about pasting with flour is that it will all come down with soap and water.
If it were me, I would line that skinny wall with shelves, for a reading lamp, books, picture frames, and what not. I might even put high up storage above the door. But I am sure you wouldn't want to drill holes in the wall. Is there such thing as a suspension shelf?

edit: I also meant to ask, is there an outlet in there?
also, you could just cover up the gross tiles with a little straw mat or something. or a bath mat. or a welcome mat. ok, i am just being dumb.

ah, yeh.

lots of help you, <3

Yeah, I was thinking about painting, but then realized it would be pointless. also I'd hate to be stuck in there for a while with paint. its so cramped. well, not SO cramped. just cramped enough to bother me.

yeah, wallpapering with flour and water would be okay, probably. Hahah. tinfoil<3
I was just goin to maybe (since I love taking pictures. that's what all the cool kids do these days Wink ) take some pictures of my favorite things, Blow them up at speedee printers, and print them out, then put them on the walls. maybe on both sides of that box thing (whatever that is, hanging on the ceiling at the end. iono, im retarded) and longer ones on the walls?

yeh!
that skinny wall, you mean the one on the back?where that boxy thing is , that would indeed be a pretty good place to have a shelf or something I bet.

I donno, I think there might be an outlet where the matress is.

Ah, welcome mat  Wink that's what I was thinking. I've seen some pretty nice fuzzy bathmats, too.

Straw mats bug my feet since I rarely use socks. also that's another reason why that ugly tile bugs me. I suppose its just sorta. weird.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

snowtigress
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006 06:43:39 PM »

I'm not sure how cozy you like it when you sleep, but if you line the walls with a few pillows/extra blankets just sitting on top of your bed it won't feel so much like you are between 2 walls...just like you are snuggled up.  

If you have an extra blanket or a sarong or something you can use tacks to put it up on the wall to make it feel more intentionally unspacious.  A sheet would work too.

I think the little decoration lights (like string lights) would be great.  Some glow in the dark stars would probably make it look bigger at night and add to the comfort factor.

You can usually get sheets for like $2 or $3 at the thrift store, just make sure that you check that they're clean, and wash 'em in hot water.

You could also drape fabric (or sheets) from some center point in the ceiling and make it feel like a canopy bed.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rainbowboy;
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006 08:30:22 PM »

OH MAN, you know what would be cool?

A draped fabric like a vanopy bed, so that its like, tacked up, but only in places and have it a black one, and splatter like, glow in the dark paiht on it so that it looks like stars at night [sunface]

if that would work.

I love stars >.<
THIS ROCKS   Logged

colie
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006 08:39:00 PM »

I'm not sure how cozy you like it when you sleep, but if you line the walls with a few pillows/extra blankets just sitting on top of your bed it won't feel so much like you are between 2 walls...just like you are snuggled up. 
I love the idea of having a bed surrounded by pillows! Suddenly I am wanting a storage closet to sleep in! Hahaha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rainbowboy;
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006 01:51:36 PM »

Haha, yeah that does sound rad.

I have lots of body pillows, too =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006 03:01:57 PM »

I like the tent of fabric around the walls and ceiling.  Pick a fabric you love and you can use it somewhere else when your sister finally feels like moving.  Maybe a dark night blue and stamp some stars on it in glow in the dark paint.  Or how about going with a fabric that looks like it is from Morocco.  Very I Dream of Jeannie  Here's a link to that kinda feeling: http://www.e-mosaik.com/rental.htm
 If you know someone who has skills with wood, you could build a platform for the mattress and put some storage under there.  A little welcome mat at the doorway would be cool, you're right.  Maybe some lighting from the ceiling....Did the closet have a light?  If it is the kind that is a bare bulb, I've seen pendant lights that you just screw into a standard light bulb socket.  They have to be really light weight though since the socket is holding the weight.  Or maybe just one of those fun lightbulbs would be cool.  Be careful of the fabric near the bulb...fire hazard issues. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
k8kre8s
hand-made, not slave-made

power to the cats

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006 06:26:27 PM »

i agree with the moroccan theme that NynaeveAS suggested, and you could try to find a lantern to hang off that box-like thing at the back. if you go with that, maybe a little persian rug at the foot of the bed. could look really cool

and just remember when you crawl into your "sleeping nook" your next place will feel like a mansion! after living in my fair share of shoeboxes (university dorm, tiny apartment in japan) i can totally relate to making the most of small spaces. it makes you realize how little we really NEED in life.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a High Bun in 2 Minutes
Hairapy Ep 106: Heidi
Hair How To: Structured Chignon
Rock Out With Cotton Candy-Colored Hair This Summer
Hairapy Ep 105: Jennifer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...