A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 306,562
Currently Running With Scissors:
224 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: sock knitters.......i need suggestions  (Read 640 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

evysmom
« on: February 19, 2006 09:22:40 PM »

I've been knitting for a few years now.  Soakers (wool pants to go over cloth diapers), hats, scarfs, a few tanks and a sweater.  I'm ready to venture into the world of sock knitting.  I keep seeing such beautiful ones on here (and on the blogs I've been led to).  But I have no idea where to begin.
Is there a great "beginner sock knitting" book?  Something that would teach all the basics and not just assume I know what I'm doing.  Smiley  What are some good (and not too expensive) sock yarns? Is there a website you could point me to?  Maybe even just one particular pattern that was very basic and walks you through the steps.
I love using dpn's, so that's not a problem.

Thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
djinnj
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006 11:09:57 PM »

the sockulator: http://www.thedietdiary.com/blog/lucia/544
links to sock patterns by weight: http://www.socknitters.com/sockpatterns/weight.htm

There are loads of sock patterns and tutorials on the web if you google for 'em, as well.

Sock yarn depends on what you want, but I tend to go for the fingering weight wool/nylon blends for ease of care.  I keep planning on using Dalegarn Baby Ull for a pair but I just haven't had much time for socks of late.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ariane
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006 11:50:09 AM »

I (as well as many others) LOVE, Sensational Knitted Socks...it's such a great refrence book.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://wicked_stitches.typepad.com/wicked_stitches/

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley
evysmom
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006 09:07:24 PM »

Thanks ladies!  I'm going to stop in an lys tomorrow while my son is in preschool.  So hopefully I'll be able to browse the yarns and books a bit, with only my little girl in tow. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Safetyfox
Neither safe, nor a fox.

Im in yr grden, drinkin yr beerz

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006 01:53:57 AM »

Last night I finished my first ever sock! (When the other one's finished I'll post a photo of the pair.)

I got a free pattern for a 'simple top-down sock' when I bought my sock yarn -- maybe your LYS will do something similar? I know there's a pattern leaflet that comes with Regia yarn. I approached sock knitting with extreme trepidation but in the end I found it quite straightforward (but it was a very simple pattern indeed). I'm sure if I can do it with my limited skills, you'll be fine. Enjoy it  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wait a minute, where's me jumper? On Ravelry of course.

Infrequently updated blog: safetyfox.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrap Busting Artwork
Let's Monkey Around!
Meatless Monday: Lemon Cornmeal Waffles

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...