A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 307,573
Currently Running With Scissors:
462 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Looking for Tattoo for embroidery  (Read 3547 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

izatchu

Crafty like ice is cold!

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2004 09:49:02 AM »

Hi folks, I'm big into embroidering dish towells for my new place, and I've been using Jenny Hart's fabulous patterns (www.sublimestitching.com), but I want to branch out a bit. I've been looking for a good picture or drawing of the very popular double blue bird or swallows tattoos that I've seen around, mostly on people's chests, just below the collar bones, or on backs, over the shoulder blades.  I'm looking for lots of colors, maybe  something that can be a big summer project for me. I'd love to do some towells for my place, or maybe some pillow cases with tattoo styles. I just love the tattoos! Can anyone point me toward some good resources?  I'm looking for a classic-style tattoo, not a re-vamped or cartoon-style. Oh, and I'm not planning on selling any of these, they're just for me. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004 09:51:41 AM by izatchu » THIS ROCKS   Logged
lizajane73
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004 10:06:29 AM »

I'm sorry, I don't have any links for you, but I'm hoping it's okay if I piggy back on your request....

I've been wanting to do some surfer-y, tribal-y embroidery on towels and sheets for my son's room (you know the kind that looks kind of like interwoven thorns?), so if anyone knows a source for those kinds of tattoo graphics, i would really appreciate it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.knitvixen.com - Good Patterns for Bad Girls
BeppyCat
I've never licked a spark plug.

www.beppycat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004 10:14:48 AM »

You might try this book:  http://store.yahoo.com/doverpublications/0486995925.html  from Dover Books.  I love the dover clip art books, because if you do decide to sell stuff with your embroidery on it, there's no copy right worries.  But mainly because they have about a million different topics and really pretty artwork.

Another good way to find simple embroidery type designs is to do a google image search on whatever topic and add coloring to the phrase.  (example: cat coloring)  That way you might turn up some of those coloring pages that you can print out for kids.  Easy to convert to embroidery.

Useful things to have along with these sources is tracing paper and an iron on pencil like this one:  http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=82299&PRODID=46976
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And I don't look good in leggings.

http://beppycat.blogspot.com/
Lurkers and commentors welcome.
Lots of crocheting and sewing and knitting!  Pretty much my life for your consumption.
pipu

pipu said "peep!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004 10:15:12 AM »

I'd just image search (or old-fashioned library search) for "Sailor Jerry tattoo flash".
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004 10:26:57 AM »

What you're looking for is called 'tattoo flash' if you google that term, you'll find lots of pages with pictures.  There are also quite a few tattoo magazines out there. 
'Sailor Jerry' was a guy who did a lot of the old school tattoos that we're all familiar with - the nautical type and mermaids and stuff, so looking for his name might help too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craft Addict

"She's crafty- and she's just my type"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004 10:37:34 AM »

I would look in tattoo magazines or tattoo flash books.  I have 2 Sailor Jerry stencil books which have outlines of many of his popular designs.  They're perfect for embroidery as they are printed in black like only.  Or you may be able to get some designs off of his site.  Hope this is somewhat helpful
-Cindy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
izatchu

Crafty like ice is cold!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004 10:51:15 AM »

Wow, thanks for all the great replies! I have checked out the Sailor Jerry page already, but I can't find an image on his page that's big enough for me to see all the details. I will check out the books out there though. Helloooo library. I didn't know Sailor Jerry had stencils, I just saw the books with images. Thanks!

I've done a few google image searches, but a lot of the things that come up are small pictures of actual tatoos on bodies, which aren't great for details either.

I'm very intrigued by the idea of using kids coloring book images, which seem absolutely perfect. If only there were more about tattoos. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Spork
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2004 11:05:13 AM »

The stencils are the images that are put on the skin. If Sailor Jerry doesn't work for you (which is also what I'd say to go with), try bme.com or bmezine.com (can't remember) and maybe seeing the pictures of tattoos will inspire your work. Good luck. (By the way- I design tattoo flash, so if you absolutely can't find what you need, I'll try and help you out if you'd like). But Sailor Jerry is certainly the way to go. When searching, also, look for "traditional" tattoo flash. And last thing- there's a site called tattoodles.com which features designs from all kinds of people broken into categories. Some of it is complete and total crap, but others are designed by amazing and/or world-renowned tattoo artists.

Hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
izatchu

Crafty like ice is cold!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2004 11:55:07 AM »

Thanks, Spork!
I'll let you know if I need some design help. Thanks for the extra resources!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craft Addict

"She's crafty- and she's just my type"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2004 01:23:10 PM »

I thought of another idea.  While I was "working" the other day, I started looking at dingbats, those pictures that you find on font sites.  I found a classic style tattoo set (eek, I can't remember where  Sad ) on a free site.  In case you don't know how they work, you add the file to your fonts and then when you type a letter (such as in Microsoft Word), a picture appears instead of the letter.  The cool thing about them is that you can enlarge them without any distortion.  I blew one up extra large, traced it with a hot transfer pen and ironed it onto a piece of fabric and it worked out really well.  As for my embroidery, well that's another story.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Tea Wallet
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: Personalized Pet Collar
Wild Animals on Your Tree

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...