A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 304,766
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: slightly cheesy heart dresser to...?  (Read 764 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GreenWhimsy

My hosiery is bunching!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 19, 2006 09:03:48 AM »

So my mom's letting me take this little storage dresser up to my room to hold my art and crafting supplies and I want to so something cool with it. It has these neat heart cut-outs, as you can see in the picture, and I want to continue with that theme. I have a few ideas, but none are really clicking, so I thought I'd share it with you guys Smiley:

See? Simple, country, but cute. Any ideas for taking this out of the Little House On the Prairie and making it a little more rock and roll?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006 09:05:35 AM by GreenWhimsy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
intergalacticj

jam jam jam jam jam...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006 09:08:29 AM »

not a wild idea but how about painting it white and then with a bold colour paint different hearts on it, you could get new handles or make heart ones from fimo, and there are a ton of finishes you can use, crackle glaze, rubbed down disstressed look, metallic and glitter paints etc
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissyMafia
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006 09:16:46 AM »

i was thinking paint it black with diagonal stripes of a few different colors on the doors that meet in the middle. not sure what to do with the top drawer tho. maybe it wouldn't need anything if the doors were zany enough.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

octopickle.etsy.com
LilMissPink
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006 09:30:15 AM »

I  think you could paint the doors pink (or any other color you'd like instead) and use that same color to make a lightening bolt diagonally across the drawer front, and make the rest of the drawer black, and paint the rest of the wood around the drawer and doors white. Then you could make the sides black and white checkered or whatever pattern you'd like. I think you should get heart shaped handles also.  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006 09:32:47 AM by LilMissPink » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everybody likes pink. People who think otherwise are in denial.
halblingefrau

Skillz. I has dem.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006 09:41:08 AM »

Also, it might be cool to get some fabric that goes with your colors and theme (maybe with hearts or something), and put it on the inside.  You'll have the heart cutouts, but you'll have decoration behind it so that you don't see the mess inside.  Not judging you, you might be super clean, just know from my art supplies that they aren't always nice to look at because I'm messy.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog | Wists

PM me for personal swaps.
GreenWhimsy

My hosiery is bunching!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006 02:49:37 PM »

Thanks for all of the ideas, guys! I've been considering them all, and I think I've come up with something good. I'll definitely post it when I'm done, which could be sometime tonight Wink

Also, it might be cool to get some fabric that goes with your colors and theme (maybe with hearts or something), and put it on the inside.  You'll have the heart cutouts, but you'll have decoration behind it so that you don't see the mess inside.  Not judging you, you might be super clean, just know from my art supplies that they aren't always nice to look at because I'm messy.  Smiley

No, you're right, I'm definitely messy. I f I don't use fabric, I might spray-paint some netting a bold colr and use it to help camoflage things Cheesy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
honorhappy
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006 04:50:33 AM »

Defenitely get a fabric backing, or netting, etc, for the heart cut outs.  Not only will it conceal any messes, but I think it's a good step to decountify it.  I would personally do a punk plaid design on it.  To do this, pick a color, any color.  Paint the dresser (you may need to sand it first, and/or prime).  Then paint, in a contrasting color, stripes for the plaid design.  You could also do the stripes with duct tape or fabric.  Next, I would most likely glue some punk patches on, or glue patches of denim or fabric and attach safety pins.

Another idea would be to use black fabric behind the hearts, paint the dresser black or white, and then alternate with stripes (not plaid, just regular stripes) in the opposite color.

Or you could paint the dresser a dark shade (I'm thinking autumn colors or old trusty black here) and then decoupaging different quotes and poems about love...not necessarily all lovey dovey, but actually ranging all emotions of love.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Trifarina

apathetic misanthrope

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006 06:07:48 PM »

Cheesy...  I like that!  Paint it yellow and the hearts could be swiss cheese holes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GreenWhimsy

My hosiery is bunching!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006 06:50:16 PM »

Cheesy...  I like that!  Paint it yellow and the hearts could be swiss cheese holes.

Ha! That's brilliant! Too late though Embarrassed, I've posted the final result here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=81185.0

Thank you all once again for your help and inspiration Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Style Sound-Off: Lady Gaga, Rihanna, and Beyonce
How to Find the Perfect Pair of Jeans
Fabulous Fall Fashion Finds For Under $30
Is Lady Gaga Toning Down Her Daring Style?
I Love It All: HardWired Behind the Scenes
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...