A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,951
Currently Running With Scissors:
669 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fisherman Shrug from Knit It?  (Read 902 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knitninja
« on: February 18, 2006 01:16:37 PM »

Has anyone attempted the Fisherman Shrug from the 2006 Knit It magazine? I'm having some trouble with it. The pattern calls for a gauge of 9sts and 10 rows = 4 inches in st st... It lists two needle sizes but doesn't indicate which size this should be on... Any suggestions? I'm also having some trouble with the gauge - the pattern calls for sizes 10.5 and 15 needles and I need the size 15 to reach the gauge... I've made one attempt at this already and am a little frustrated. Any suggestions would be very very welcome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006 06:53:25 AM »

Yes, I think you're supposed to do the body of it in the large ones. Somewhere, either here or the KnittersReview board, posted a corrected version of the pattern. There was a mistake or two in it. Google for "Fisherman Shrug" and you'll probably come up with the thread.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
soozeq
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006 07:15:28 AM »

Found it the other board.... http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50547

Scroll down until you get to Sher's post on 2/14. She got a letter from Lion Brand with the corrections.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
mjane79
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006 11:58:21 AM »

Knitninja, were you able to get gauge on this pattern after the corrections? I bought the yarn for this yesterday, tried a gauge swatch and thought, thigns just don't add up here. I found the pattern corrections on Lion's site. I started a gauge swatch yesterday but I was too tired and kept messing up. I was just curious whether you had had any luck with this, or if anyone else has tried it.

Melissa
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LongBeachKnitter
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006 11:32:12 AM »

I am trying to work on this right now and nothing is coming out right. I am getting totally frustrated! My friend just made it and she says it came out way too small- for the triangles she co 28 st instead of 18 as the pat calls for...  I'll keep at it and see how it comes out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mjane79
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006 09:22:39 AM »

I did my gauge swatch on the size needles they said, and it's a lot smaller than the pattern gauge. I'm thinking I should just try and figure out how many stitches to do by usign the inches they say in the picture and calulating by what my gauge swatch ended up as. How frustrating! I bought the magazine because I liked the way the shrug looked and it seemed, at first glance, not to be too difficult.

Ok, after I first posted this, I found this info online that may be helpful. http://www.highenergyknits.net/archives/cat_knit_it_shrug.php

Melissa
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006 09:37:52 AM by mjane79 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006 11:25:11 AM »

The gauge is for the larger needles, so try that. There's a lot of errors in the pattern, including the diagrams, so look at the knitter's review board for corrections, and also at the Lion Brand website.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
mjane79
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006 12:30:08 PM »

The gauge is for the larger needles, so try that. There's a lot of errors in the pattern, including the diagrams, so look at the knitter's review board for corrections, and also at the Lion Brand website.

sue

The "corrected" pattern on Lion's site still gives the gauge as on the smaller needles (the 10 1/2), though I agree that it probably should be on the bigger needles. The diagrams on the corrected on look better than the magazine. I did look at the kitter's review board link you previously posted but there haven't been any updates to that thread since Lion posted the updates to their pattern. I think the pattern on their site needs some tweaking....a combination of the updates and the calculations on the site I posted may help. Who knows. Seems a lot of trouble and lot of errors for a supposedly easy shrug.

Melissa
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Start Knitting on a Ring Loom
How to Select the Right Size Knitting Ring
How to Start a Loom Knitting Project
How to Turn Corners in Granny Square Crochet
How To Make Inexpensive Glamorous Christmas Decorations
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...