A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 299,151
Currently Running With Scissors:
672 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Funky Diva Dress Up Trunk - Picture HEAVY!  (Read 8168 times)
Tags for this thread: suitcase , painted  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SprocketJones
« on: February 17, 2006 11:16:11 AM »

How do you make a Four Year old SQUEAL with Delight?  Take an old Starline Suitcase and turn it into a drop dead fabulous dressup trunk - glaze the crap out of it so it's a shiny as new patent leather shoes.

So here's the nasty brown nagahyde Starlite.  I didn't even buff or sand the vinyl, I figured she's 4 - how much is she going to drag it around???

Rip the Guts out.... make sure you put it right in the garbage or your whole house will smell like old ladies and that's not a good thing!

The inside was pretty nasty - I soaked this in alcohol/bleach/Febreeze/Odor Remover/baking soda and newspaper.  I still ended up spritzing it with a perfume before I put the lining in...  I read that if you fill it with baking soda and old newspaper and put it in a plastic back for a few days that will eliminate the odor - it helped, but the odor was pretty strong!

I started by painting the whole thing lavender...which is G-Face's favorite color.

Then I put on the yellow, pink, pink, and more pink border.  The sides were this awful pepto bismol color - so I eventually went back and put on some big colorful polka dots which broke the color up quite a bit!

Pepto Bismol Sides before the polka dots!

And then - I did some flowers and of course G's name.  I finished it off with a couple of hefty coats of outdoor gloss.  That seemed to both seal the paint to the vinyl and inhibit a lot of the chipping/scratching.

And then the back.... which I think is cute.

The inside I relined with a bumperpad style sides and a soft fabric covered batting for the top and the bottom.  I don't have a picture of the lining - because it was stuffed full of clothes the minute she got it!

It was fun - but it took FOREVER - I'm not a patient, let's-wait-for-paint-to-dry kind of girl.  Although the other Mom's at the birthday party were drooling.   I'm in the running for Favorite Aunt - this might seal the deal! Smiley

« Last Edit: February 17, 2006 11:24:14 AM by SprocketJones » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The strangest secret in the world is that you become what you think about.  Earl Nightingale

sprocketjones.etsy.com
Ironic Insanity
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006 11:51:14 AM »

That is so adorable.  I love the colors...that will defintely make you the most favorite aunt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Listener15
Just call me Listy

Keep me away from Craftster will ya! Ha!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006 06:52:50 PM »

You have so won the award for favorite Aunt!  That is cute and really is perfect....how on earth did you come up with this idea?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aytchjay
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006 06:56:47 PM »

Adorable!  Grin I wish I had a little girl in my familly to make one for.  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missliz01

my cat playing dead ;p

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006 03:09:56 PM »

That is so incredibly creative!  I get so much inspiration from craftster it's crazy!!  CUTE CUTE CUTE!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SprocketJones
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006 05:03:20 PM »

I saw a few decorated suitcases on here and I thought it would make a great dress up trunk - so kudos to the ladies that painted the first suitcases on craftster!

I decided while I was down visiting the kidlets this weekend that I'm going to make her little brother an adventure trunk - something where he can stash his cowboy vest, doctor's lab coat and his little faux suit of armor..... if she gets a girly girl fabulous dress up trunk - he should get an equally fabulous yet manly man adventure trunk - so I'm off to goodwill to find another starlite suitcase.

hopefully the next one won't smell so bad!!!

Thanks for all the kind words!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The strangest secret in the world is that you become what you think about.  Earl Nightingale

sprocketjones.etsy.com
FRAUGHT
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006 07:01:54 PM »

Very,very cool idea. I have been hauling around a big red suitcase I picked up off of the street. Why do they smell like that? Sort of like powder and horrible flower perfume with a splash of disinfecting douse \ hack, pardon me
THIS ROCKS   Logged
josywosy
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006 06:23:06 AM »

Such a great idea...and super creative too...can't wait till I little people around so I can attempt to make one. It looks great.

You totally won the award for favourite aunt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fabric to Metal, Wool to Wood, I'll try it all.
www.madebyjoslin.co.uk
Rainbowboy;
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006 06:45:39 PM »

haha.

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow
katatonicP
You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006 10:15:13 AM »

Absolutely adorable!!  I know of so many little girly girls who would just loooove to have their own personalized little diva trunk, great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dress Your Little Man Like Kingston Rossdale for Less
Isabel Toledo Puts Her Fashion Focus on the Plus-Size World
Trend Report - Slits
Two Ways to Style an Alexander McQueen Top
From Preppy to Rocker-Chic Style
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...