A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,312
Currently Running With Scissors:
535 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: postage due issues - imput needed  (Read 2626 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mistress_batty
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Batty Bat Bat

happy hookin' mistress

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 17, 2006 10:57:56 AM »

I was wondering what the etiquette on postage due swap packages is?

Yesterday I found a little card in my mailbox saying I owed money on a package in order to get it. There wasn't a last name on the card, only my last initial....so I knew it was a craftster package. It wasn't a lot of money I had to pay (under two dollars).....but it is still a pain because I'm living off of financial aid money (from college)...and  right at this moment I don't really have extra money to pay for other people's swaps.   I know the speech about not taking on swaps you can't handle...but that isn't the issue. I plan out my money before getting into a swap. I'm sure I have the supplies in my stash to craft and the money I'll need for postage. All other money is spoken for ....for bills, not enjoyment.
  So it puts me in a pickle when I have to pay to pick up stuff made for me. I know I could have said No and had it sent back....but I figured since I made the 45 minutes trip to the post office, I might as well have something to show for it.

Now in this situation, the person put my swap goods into a Priority mailing envelope.....went to a kiosk and paid for First Class shipping. CONFLICT!!!   So the post office mailed it priority....because container trumps postage I guess.....and I had to pay the difference. So I guess this was just an oversight.......but in general....what do you do about having to pay to pick up your swap stuff?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftydame

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006 10:02:17 PM »

i don't know. but i've wondered that too. and what about customs fees if your partner writes the wrong thing on the slip? i know someone who got $25 in customs fees! she shouldn't have had to pay that, her partner was the one who wrote the wrong thing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
americandemockracy

Misanthropic, you got it.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006 08:05:52 AM »

I had to make up the difference for a swap package- it was only a 1.50, but... they did the click and ship printing and it mismeasured.

That seems kind of rude, though.  I paid for her package's shipping...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://javastain.etsy.com is now open!

Come check us out for period goodness!
mistress_batty

Batty Bat Bat

happy hookin' mistress

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006 08:41:28 AM »

I had to make up the difference for a swap package- it was only a 1.50, but... they did the click and ship printing and it mismeasured.

It didn't mismeasure....the person just...put the stuff in an envelope that was for a specific kind of mail.....and then at the kiosk bought a cheaper mail time (Priority vs. First Class).....and so the post office send it Priority becuase that's what kind of package it was in...a Priority envelope. So I had to pay the difference. But yeah...it wasn't a lot of money but still....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
americandemockracy

Misanthropic, you got it.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006 09:04:33 AM »

It didn't mismeasure....the person just...put the stuff in an envelope that was for a specific kind of mail.....and then at the kiosk bought a cheaper mail time (Priority vs. First Class).....and so the post office send it Priority becuase that's what kind of package it was in...a Priority envelope. So I had to pay the difference. But yeah...it wasn't a lot of money but still....

That's weird. But... hhhm... I dunno. Still kind of sketchy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://javastain.etsy.com is now open!

Come check us out for period goodness!
d
princesshammerhead

Treat people how you like to be treated!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006 07:59:52 PM »

I had to pay a customs fee once because my swap partner didn't put that it was a 'gift'. my husband picked it up for me and was shocked when asked to pay an additional $12.50 US. He almost cut off my swappin'. I still hear about it everytime I send out a package lol! I always tell my partners to keep the value under $20 and check that 'gift' box! d Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If only closed minds came with closed mouths!

If the world is getting smaller, why do postage rates keep going up?

http://princesshammerhead.blogspot.com/

Personal swap anyone?
mistress_batty

Batty Bat Bat

happy hookin' mistress

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006 08:13:53 PM »

I had to pay a customs fee once because my swap partner didn't put that it was a 'gift'. my husband picked it up for me and was shocked when asked to pay an additional $12.50 US. He almost cut off my swappin'. I still hear about it everytime I send out a package lol! I always tell my partners to keep the value under $20 and check that 'gift' box! d Smiley

Damn. That's crazy. I've always been checking the gift box but from now on I think I'll change my value to $20 because I've been putting $25.....and I'm sure that $5 difference can make a world of diference depending on where it's going.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
d
princesshammerhead

Treat people how you like to be treated!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006 08:26:10 PM »

If you keep it under $20 it seems to fly through customs. I dread the day when I receive a package with no value stated and customs decides. I did call customs that day btw. They told me even in trading everthing has a monetary value. Even if what I sent to her was of equal value to both of us, 'as in trading'. Thankfully, when I opened the package it was fabulous! Smiley I think with experience, most swaps go smoothly. d Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If only closed minds came with closed mouths!

If the world is getting smaller, why do postage rates keep going up?

http://princesshammerhead.blogspot.com/

Personal swap anyone?
SewPixie
FOC Bandit #12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006 09:22:21 PM »

Yes, for those using Click N Ship do make sure you weigh your package. I use my digital bathroom scale and round up a little. I sit it on the scale about 3-5 times too in order to make sure it reads the same weight each time. So far so good, unless no one has mentioned having any postage due (I sure hope they would, I'ld want to know and find a way to make that up to them for certain!)

This thread was a good reminder to make sure everyone in the swap I'm running remembers to mark gift if it needs a customs form and to make sure they are using the correct packaging!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:See profile for blog & Flickr info!:.
taloola

Midwiffin' @ Mother By Nature Midwifery!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006 04:54:24 PM »

hey guys....it was me.
i was not being sketchy...it was an accident.

thanks for letting me know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Using Cumin Seeds in Indian Cooking
How to Make Indian Pakoras
Using Coriander in Cooking
Aarti Sequeira Presents the Basics of Indian Cooking
Marcel Vigneron Explains Molecular Gastronomy
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...