A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,667
Currently Running With Scissors:
629 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scrapbooking on a budget  (Read 8314 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Staramaze
Sarah and the Stampstars

Crafting Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2006 02:20:24 AM »

I use rubber stamps a lot with my books.  They last for ever.  Ink is cheap, and I can make a lot of my own embelishments with embossing powders and dementional glues.  you can see my stuff here...

www.stampstars.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

taped_on_wings
Queen of ill-fated physical comedy

Leave the politics to madmen

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2006 02:33:30 PM »

I was at Michaels yesterday and actually ran across a book called "Budget Scrapbooking: Great Ideas for Scrapbooking on a Shoestring" and thought of this thread. 

Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/189212744X/qid=1144531915/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-9231726-9582521?s=books&v=glance&n=283155
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.robotheartsquid.etsy.com
http://www.wists.com/taped_on_wings
http://theonlyevidence.blogspot.com/

Before birds get sucked into jet engines, do they ever think, "Is that Rod Stewart in first class?" ~Eddie Izzard
Belle
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2006 11:56:56 AM »

I'm a few monthes late with this one, but I actually ran across this site last night:

http://www.scrapbookscrapbook.com/free-printable-scrapbook-sets.html

All of their sets are free to download and print off. It seems that they have hundreds of pages, depending on your taste.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All mistakes are intentional... until I learn how to fix them.
angelofmusic

Cinderella's Castle: from the Rose Garden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2006 11:48:01 PM »

As a former college student and currently unemployed, but applying to jobs newbie teacher, I totally understand about scrapbooking on a budget.  In fact, I own over $1000 in scrapbooking supplies that I probably spent less than $400 on.  Here are my best tips:
  • Make a list of all current works in progress (WIP) before you go shop such as photos, colors, materials you already have, etc..  That way when you go to buy something, you know exactly what you need to complete the pages.
  • Shop the sales! Every week I receive the Hobby Lobby, Michael's, and a local scrapbook shops ads. I kind of know in my head what I would like to have when it comes to papers, embellishments, and tools. Then, when I see something on sale I want, I go get it. I also keep a list of my tools, punches, etc. so I don't buy two of anything.
  • A Hobby Lobby Tip: Their ads run in cycles. If a supply isn't on sale this week, it probably will be in the next week or two.  Just have the ads delivered to your inbox.  They also offer "40% off one regular priced item" coupons almost every week.
  • Make friends with your Scrapbook Consultant (like Creative Memories).  Mine always had crops once a month, so I'd pay the $5 or $10 crop fee (which always included dinner or snacks) and I got to use all her tools.  Plus, she's always offer good deals and sales on products at the crops that you couldn't get at other times!
  • Go to crops/scrapbooking parties: I've had more than one experience where I don't have a paper to compliment the page I'm working on, but someone did, and just GAVE it to me for FREE!
  • Make a wishlist of exactly what you want (ie, brand, color, size, website, even photos).  I do this so my family can get me exactly what I want for birthdays and Christmas.  Or ask for craft store/Creative Memories gift certificates.
  • Stock up on the basics: during big sales at your local craft store (esp. 1/2 off sales) stock up on stuff like pens, markers, adhesive, neutral/rainbow paper packages, etc. Get the stuff you'll be likely to use!
  • Shop garage sales, tag sales, and thrift stores.  I've found some good stuff at garage sales for real cheap!
  • Trade with other scrapbookers.  If you have baby stuff you'll never use and they have disco stuff they don't use, but you could use each other's stuff, make a trade!
  • Save everything! Don't throw away even the smallest scraps...you will eventually find a way to use them.
  • Google it! Look up scrapbooking on google. Lots of sites have free scrapbooking papers and graphics that you can print off on the acid-free paper you stocked up on during that last sale!
  • Start a scrapbooking fund. I have a cute milk bottle I use for this. Whenever I get change at a store, I put it in a little zippered coin purse.  I use the change all week while shopping. But come Saturday evening, I dump everything left in the coin purse into that milk jug. You'd be surprised how quickly the change will add up!
  • Most importantly: SHOP GRADUALLY! You will not start out with all the fancy stuff. To start, you really just need a few things: scissors, acid-free adhesive, a few sheets of acid-free paper, and an acid-free memory book or binder with acid free page protectors.  Use your wishlist and slowly buy the fancy trimmings.  It's taken me 5 years to build up what I have now and I still have a wishlist!
I know this was a long post, but I hope my ideas help everyone scrapbook on a budget.  If you have any questions, please ask me!  Happy cropping!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Frogs have it easy...they can eat what bugs them!
blonde11584
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2006 03:27:11 PM »

You could try going to Dollar Tree I saw where they had scrapbooking stuff there. They have very nice stuff that at any other arts and craft store you would be paying way to much for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
putyourheadthere
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2006 09:20:32 PM »

check out http://www.digitalscrapbooking.biz for some links to resources and ideas.  good site Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brownsugar13
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2006 11:15:55 AM »

hey!  i know what you mean when you say that scrapbooking can get pretty pricy! 

*look around your house for things that you could use in your scrapbook(ex:wrapping paper, buttons, stickers, etc.).  wrapping paper could be used as a background or something you could use for matting a picture. 

*make sure you know what exactly you want when you go out to Michaels, the Hobby Lobby, or wherever you go to get your scrapbooking supplies.  otherwise, if you're like me, you'd go crazy&& buy whatever you like!

*try to shop when&& where there are sales.

*use as many coupons as you can get.

*google it!!  search scrapbooking. you'd be suprised at how many websites there are when you can print out free scrapbooking papers&& graphics. 

&&thats all i have for now...but remember, you don't absolutely NEED that fancy sticker just to make a page look great!!  i hope i helped ya a lil bit!   Grin

<3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Catiana
NY <3's me!

100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2006 04:59:32 PM »

Hey im new to scrapbooking but this is what ive discovered.
-wrapping paper, ribbon and general clippings are good
-i was about to buy some alphabet stickers, but then i looked in the sale section of Spotlight AND  discovered $2 packs which were nicer
-buy paper in bulk. I think the american memories brand paper is $1. per sheet. I got 100pack paper for $9. I like most of this paper except one set.
-$2 shops are good. They have lots of sticky up 3D stickers.
-End of range things also are usually cheaper.

hth

**all of my prices are australian dollars.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

time is a waste of life, life is a waste of time, get wasted all the time and have the time of your life.
____
Got bacon? 

www.myspace.com/gotbacon
goldfishhead
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2006 05:09:35 PM »

Ever since I've gona all digital I've discovered that I can subsist pretty much entierly on freebie downloads and papers I make myself out of old art, my art, warpping paper, my photos, and cheap papers. Getting embellishments is much cheaper when their just downloads. And I havent payed for one yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
woahitsmikayla
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2006 04:39:05 PM »

I know you're probably getting sick of all of the replies since this is about 6 months later, but I've found that Dollar Stores are wonderful. I'm not too good at scrapbooking (hey, i'm only 15! lol) & don't want to put in too much money for it, so Dollar Stores have been my life savers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Soft Hanging Bun
How to Make a Cute Twist Hair Style
How to Do a Up-Do for Curly Hair
How to Create an Up-Do Hair Style
Learn About Curling Irons
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...