A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,114
Currently Running With Scissors:
414 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scrapbooking on a budget  (Read 8600 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aromano101
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2006 02:03:13 PM »

Thanks for the heads up.  I don't really do scrapbooking, but altered, journals, and wallets made from that paper.  I'm always tempted to see if I could take that stuff there for a 'night session'.  I forgot to mention...if you keep an eye out for Michaels, Joanns, and Hobby Lobby...they usually have sales on the paper.  Like the 59 cent ones are .29, or 5 for a buck. 

I have seen people work on altered books in there Friday Night Scrap sessions, so I don't think it'd be an issue.

And for the big hardware... those kinds of places also usually run a 40% off weekly coupon too. That's how I buy a lot of my alphabet sizzix dies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Alicia
dayzi

Proud momma of 2 Boston Terriers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2006 02:19:06 PM »

I use record album covers for a lot of my scrapbooks. They're cheap and have great cover art. In the past, I've used an old wedding album cover for my sisters wedding photos & Christmas covers for holiday photos, the Graduate soundtrack, for graduation photos, I've even been able to find covers with cities that I've visited for vacation photos. They have 12x12 plastic sleeves at the Dollar Tree that you can used to slip the covers & your pages in & then tie with ribbon. You can also get those scissors that cut shapes at AC Moore every so often for 2/$1 they're great for cutting out things from magazines or even construction paper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aromano101
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2006 11:12:29 AM »

Oh yeah and don't forget about greeting cards, birthday cards and the like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Alicia
CardCrafter
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2006 07:43:54 AM »

Here's an article that has a few good tips too:

http://www.handmade-crafts.info/scrapbooking-budget.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheRehn

being a FOC is cool :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2006 09:07:20 AM »

I'd recommend digiscrapping I have done all my layouts so far with freebies and even if you do buy any thing you can use it over and over again 'cos it is digital! The only cost in making them is the program you use and you may already have a program on your computer which is suitable. Major costs (as in costs anything) are printing and albums but... print small and buy albums on sale and you can create great layouts soo cheaply it is unbelievable!!!

you can see my layouts here if you want http://www.digitalscrapbookplace.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=45097
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Haven't been too well recently - not fallen off the face of the earth.
Ooh - I have a Wist http://www.wists.com/TheRehn
love_me

it's better to be looked over than overlooked

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2006 09:38:47 PM »

i highly second visiting dollar stores. the dollar general in my town has really cute things for a dollar, when at specialty stores they would be $3 or $4. also, if there is a big lots in your area, go there. they have a random assortment of items, but they are cheap. i got a linen covered window 12x12 album for $5, which is a huge steal. they also have the 'name brand' scrapbooks designer items, such as fiskars and laura ashley.some wal-marts will discount newer items. my walmart just got a new brand of stickers and they were all on sale for 94 cents. and usually their plain stickers are under a dollar as well. and don't forget that a lot of the embellishments that you can buy in stores, you can adapt at home for cheaper. such as the colored brads. they can run up to $6 around here. i went to the local drugstore, got a pack of 50 for 79 cents and just painted the tops with acrilic paint i had laying around. ooh, one last thing, try to get your hands on the oriental trading scrapbooking catalog. they have really cute trendy things for not that expensive either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if wishes were horses, i'd own a ranch
if wishes were carbon monoxide gas, i'd be dead
FarAboveRubies

Proverbs 31:10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2006 07:23:48 AM »

If you are a craftster you probably already have lots of good stuff like:

~ wire, wire tools
~ embroidery floss
~ yarn
~ paper clips
~ metal rim tags
~ carbon paper (to trace stuff you print & cut it out of good paper)
~ glues
~ stickers
~ fabric scraps

I think that if you use things you already have, your project will become more "you" instead of cookie cutter.

~ Use coupons! Joanns, AC Moore, and Michaels all will accept each other's coupons, and they all usually have one out each week or so (usually 40% off one item).  Hobby Lobby's website has a coupon each week that you can print off and use (1 per day!).

~ check out the thrift stores: Goodwill has 50% off everything on the last Friday and Saturday of each month.  Get childrens books for pennies and cut them up for quotes and pics.

~ combine hobbies, if you knit, knit up a small flower or object to put on a page

~google "frugal scrapbooking"  there are ALL KINDS of great articles
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006 07:26:30 AM by FarAboveRubies » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies...
she seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands.'

visit my knitblog: www.faraboverubies31.blogspot.com
poo head

I didn't really drop my baby! No hate mail!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2006 07:35:26 AM »

i'm sorry but i have to disagree w/ the dollar store idea. if you get things that aren't for scrapbooking specifically (keeping in mind that it won't be acid free) i think it's great but at least my dollar store's "scrapbooking area" is outrageous. i usually buy the bags w/ scrap papers at walmart for like 2$ and get a pound of it but at the dollar store i get like an ounce of paper for $1 i say look around and wait for the sale and always find the clearance section, they like to hide it  in some obscure area like the cake decorating isle around here. my weekend usually goes by looking at michael's, acmoore, and joann's website for the weekly circular and going to each store knowing what the other places have on sale. and a quick stop off at walmart  (usually for something uncraft related) for a quick look at their clearance. just my opinion. don't gang up on me for the dollar store thing please...   Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to do a personal swap for any boyish nursery print flannels! I can send polymer clay charms, purses, paper crafts, microscope slide pendant kit, and a lot more.

~My Inspiration~
~Benjamin Reed~
~11.8.07~

wist me away
♥personal swaps♥
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2006 07:11:42 PM »

I've purchased some stuff at Dollar Tree.  They have packs of 6 pages (specifically for scrapbooking) for $1.  (Or is it 5 pages?  I think it's 6.)  Anyway, this is pretty close to a craft store sale day, but you don't have to wait for a sale.  And I'm big on clearance.  Always clearance!!  I don't remember the last time I bought a scrapbooking item at regular price.

Also, don't forget Ebay for tools and stuff.  There are a lot of folks (like me, for instance) who've done the consultant thing for, say, Creative Memories, and did not succeed and unload their old stock, or crafters who are cleaning out their stashes, etc.  It's a good place to find tools and templates for not very much.  Nowhere close to retail, anyway.  And CM is a good place to buy top quality tools, even if you don't like the cutesy-wootsy stuff they sell as paper and stickers.  (Would it be totally inappropriate for me to mention I now have several Ebay auctions going alongside the yarn auctions I have up for Creative Memories stuff at a steal compared to the real price?  Perhaps less inappropriate if I note that should those items not sell I'll probably offer them for trade here on Craftster, because they take up space that could be used by yarn?) 

Basically, you really can apply all the same cheap-mindedness to scrapbooking as to everything else.  Just keep your eyes open for sales, clearance, Ebay auctions, coupons, thrift and dollar stores...  Take a day and do some comparison shopping at the major craft stores, a scrapbooking store or two if you have one, the dollar stores and Target, Walmart or Shopko to get an idea of what stuff sells for new, and who sells what cheapest, then just watch.  Pretty soon you'll get to know what is a deal one place is not at another, and you'll learn what to avoid.  Plus, you get the thrill of the hunt.  Ok, it isn't a lion or a boyfriend, but a good bargain is almost as thrilling, I swear!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Jose~Madalia
HP Crafter at Heart

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2006 06:57:41 AM »

I recently bought a scrapbooking book, and it was suggesting to spray water on cardstock paper, crumble it in a ball, then iron it flat again. It created a funky motif on the paper, a bit like what you see in tie-dyes. It looked good, and as far as I know, cardstock isn't that expensive. There were other tips like that in there too, but I can't remember them now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jose
-xxx-
Join my Yahoo Group!
HarryPotterCrafts
[/color]
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet an 8 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 6/6
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 1/12
How to Crochet an 8 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 5/6
How to Crochet an 8 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 4/6
How to Crochet an 8 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 1/6
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Marinara Sauce
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...