A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,548
Currently Running With Scissors:
656 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Project Runway Dress  (Read 32581 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knittinkitten
50's housewife with a tongue piercing

A girl can never have too many scarves...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2006 07:33:51 PM »

Hmm, I understand that, I'm just not sure on how you, i guess, fish it through?  I looked at karajanx.com and I saw that it looked as if it was coming through from the inside of the dress...I've never owned anything like that, so I'm not sure quite how it works.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Marim
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2006 10:04:46 AM »

Here is how I made my faux wrap dress.  Mine is a faux wrap dress, because I didn't want to worry about keeping things tied tight or putting a fastening on the inside.

Piece A is the front of the dress, piece B is the other part of the front of the dress.  Piece C is the back.  I attached both of the fronts to the back at the shoulders.  Then in one fell swoop you sew up the side seems by sewing through the overlapped piece A and B as well as the ties so it looks like the picture below.

I hope this helps anyone wanting to do the faux wrap version.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010 02:47:09 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinkitten
50's housewife with a tongue piercing

A girl can never have too many scarves...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2006 07:06:33 PM »

That's great!  Thank you so much!  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CartML
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2006 03:21:35 PM »

Oh my! This is going on the top of my list to make when I actually have a little time.
I'm in love with this one too. http://projectrunway.shopthescene.com/detail.php?p=4095
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitschycoup
Modest Mom

Tim Gunn is MY homeboy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2006 05:26:05 PM »

That IS great! Chloe's pieces are more complex than they look though because she does interesting things with seam placement and such. She, I think more than the others, was an expert seamstress. Kara, for example , I believe is an architect first - a fashion designer second. So it's not sew heavy - literally - sew heavy.
 Really really makes me wish I could just slap down the $$ and buy some of the stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Being cool is not a competition - It's a cause!!" ~ me

The universe is shaped exactly like the earth. If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were.
PinkBalletShoes
...Oh, she's a crafty one, she is...

.:Drama Queen.. in the most literal sense:.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2006 02:51:40 PM »

Marim, that makes so much sense! Thanks much, I can't wait to make this for summer!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Millions of peaches, peaches for me. Millions of peaches, peaches for free- Look out!-
shellybean
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2006 01:58:22 PM »

This is my first post ever. I'm starting to make this dress too b/c I am totally obsessed with it! I just got my fabric. I am using light green jersey for the body and navy jersey for the trim. I can't wait to finish it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blessed are the cracked, for they let in light.
kitschycoup
Modest Mom

Tim Gunn is MY homeboy!

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2006 08:00:16 AM »

I am soooo far behind on this project it is not even funny.  Undecided
I will let you in on a little secret though - there is a similar dress being sold atTarget right now - made in a cut similar to Marim's diagram.
They are made from black jersey material , have a thin belt and are selling for $19.99 on a rack with several other dresses made of jersey with prints - but the solid black is the only one that is an almost faux wrap.
Why am I tell you all this? Well, because I tried one one to see if the cut would look nice - it did and I bought it!  Shocked
I thought you might want to do the same to either buy it to use as a template (which I will do) and just in case you wanted to see what a similar cut might look like so you will have *inspiration* to keep going on the project.
FYI - I am an "hourglass" who cannot find anything I think looks good on me - and this DID! Wonder of wonders - a miracle!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The universe is shaped exactly like the earth. If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were.
annangela
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2006 12:54:26 AM »

oh god, i just found this thread and almost died with excitement. i've been wanting to make this dress forever!

i've been staring at it on her website for at least a week now, and i'm pretty sure i've figure out the dynamics of the whole thing (as crappy as i am at sewing, i think i got it)

how on earth did she manage to sew up the sleeves without attaching them at the shoulders? huh, i guess that wouldn't actually be that bad with the appropriate pattern -- i've never used a pattern before. the whole process seems incredibly daunting.

oh, also, since my sewing expertise is confined to reconstructed shirts, skirts, and handbags.. how did she sew the different colored (edging? facing?) on without a seam either? just sew it on the underside and then iron it over so it lays flat?

i'm so excited to try this, but i feel like i'm going to start and end up screwing it up irreparably. sigh. guess it won't hurt to try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitschycoup
Modest Mom

Tim Gunn is MY homeboy!

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2006 05:09:24 AM »

The seamless edging has been vexing me as well. I keep kind of fiddling with the fabric and pinning and re pinning. So far the best I have come up with is to make a sort of "U" shaped tube thingey inside out then bring it right side out -  and then attach it to the edging, but I have not figured out a way to do it as "clean" as it is on Kara's dress. It looks lumpy. I can't MAKE IT WORK!

Hey, by the way, did anyone see Tim on Conan last night? I frickin' fell asleep and missed it.  Sad I am so crushing on Tim... and no, it is not my first crush on a guy who is obviously not interested in my entire gender.  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to French Braid Hair
How to Get Shiny Hair
How to Curl Your Hair with a Flat Iron: Messy Look
How to Get Big Hair
How to Deal with Hair Breakage
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...