A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,145
Currently Running With Scissors:
430 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Project Runway Dress  (Read 32446 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fabricfightsfire
« on: February 16, 2006 06:56:11 PM »

http://projectrunway.shopthescene.com
This is a dress that Kara wore right before she got elim,inated, and they're selling it for $210.00!!!!
I figured if she could make it, we could make it!
Anybody have any ideas for how to make this or a very similar dress?Huh?

THANKS
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007 10:35:36 AM by fabricfightsfire » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
squirrellypoo

Sew sew sew scandalous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006 04:15:22 AM »

aaahahahahah! That looks EXACTLY like the dress I'm making right now!  Grin

I'll try and take a photo of it this weekend (even though the hem & sleeves aren't done yet). It was really easy to make, I just drafted the pattern myself, and it certainly didn't cost me $20, lket alone $210.

Here's some sketches of my construction (thank god for the graphics tablet!) -

(though what I labelled as "facings" I actually flipped to the outside, so theyre probably more accurately "bands" or something)

They've got their waist tie reeeeeally long on both sides (with a hole in the side waist on one side for a tie to go through) so that you can wrap it around a bunch of times. I'm just fastening mine with nice covered buttons because I don't want a bunch of extra fabric at my waist.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fehr Trade - custom clothing
kitschycoup
Modest Mom

Tim Gunn is MY homeboy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006 06:28:56 PM »

I am so on this - thanks sooo much for breaking it down!!!
I was thinking _exactly _ what Michael Kors was when Kara presented her evening dress. I couldn't keep my eyes off the dress she had on! If this does not turn out perfect I am going to cry - because I absolutely cannot afford to buy Kara's one on the site. Shocked
It was funny - when I was at the fabric store getting the material for this the lady at the counter asked me "Do you watch that Runway show?" and I was like, Man, this woman is reading my mind!!!!!!!!!! AGH!!! How did she know?!
Thanks again!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Being cool is not a competition - It's a cause!!" ~ me

The universe is shaped exactly like the earth. If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were.
Marim
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006 06:21:11 AM »

I just watched this episode last night and loved it too.  Maybe we should start a sew-a-long thread on it.  Can you post your pictures when complete Squirrelly?

I was going to attempt to make it by altering a pattern for a wrap that turned out successful for me, New Look 6429. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fabricfightsfire
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006 05:35:21 PM »

omg great ideas! i was sorta in an asian inspired clothing mood so i got Simplicity patterm 5098, which is a little top that i thought was cute...
I like the purple one...
To Squirellypoo
Does yours have that cross over thing in the front? I really admired that on Karas Dress too, couldnt take my eyes off it either kitschycoup lol!
Ill show you the simplicity when im done, even though it doesnt look like the Kara Dress
( right now im working on a patterned belted trench coiat though!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Maliaka
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006 10:26:43 PM »

Oh My God!! I searched google today looking for comments/instructions on that same dress! I couldn't keep my eyes off Kara either when I watched that episode. I am not a very good sewer, but one day I would love to make that same dress! Post pics when you can pleaaaase:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ Winter Lights Clothing ~
http://www.winterlights.etsy.com
haloriot
S $ Millionaire

(too many cat friends)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006 10:24:57 AM »

I was thinking _exactly _ what Michael Kors was when Kara presented her evening dress. I couldn't keep my eyes off the dress she had on!

that's exactly i was thinking too! i really want try making a version of this dress. squirrelly poo, i think you've helped all of us... i want to see your version when yr done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What happened to Monday?"
"Irrelevant."
Muze
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006 11:38:00 AM »

I suppose most of you live in the USA, but if you live in Europe (like me), you could use this Burda Easy Fashion pattern in this season's issue.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marim
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006 04:34:44 PM »

Here is my unhemmed mock-up.  These colors are horrible on me, so I think I'll use different ones in a lighter weight material for the real one (it looks too bulky in the front).  My dress is faux wrap dress.  I think I'll also make the sash thinner so I can not have it highlight my paunch.  The dog can't take her eyes off of it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006 04:37:25 PM »

wow i love that dress! i must make it! and i think i will! hahah. but marim! the dress looks wonderful on you
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Back to School Style Tips
How to Wear All White After Labor Day
Selena Gomez Vs. Rihanna - Who Wore Their Denim Shorts Best?
Lori Bergamotto Pairs Designer and Affordable Pieces for the Perfect Look
Learn to Pair Feminine and Military-Inspired Pieces in One Look
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...