A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,924
Currently Running With Scissors:
326 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what would you put inside a knitting travel/survival tin?  (Read 4920 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hgflower

happiness is a bowl of noodles :)

View Profile WWW
« on: February 16, 2006 04:38:43 PM »

whenever i take projects outside of the house with me, i usually bring along an altoid tin that has tiny scissors, a measuring tape, a nail file, safety pins, and a crafting needle (not the official name, but y'know.. giant needle for weaving in ends); and one of my knitting friends has a birthday coming up. i want to make her a similar knitting survival tin, but with a theme of some sort (haven't quite decided yet) and i was wondering if there's anything else i should add?
probably some home made stitch markers, but is there anything else that i'm leaving out? if i could figure out a way to make a tiny needle guage that would fit inside the tin, that would be so cool.
what do you guys consider a necessary tool to have with you when you're knitting? maybe some stitch holders? a hair tie? (cause i'm ghetto and instead of getting those end things for my needles, i just bind them together with my hair tie  Grin )
anyways, thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my wist
favorite new song w/video! onerepublic - apologize
musicmob
have random thoughts? send them my way!
ysolda
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006 05:20:51 PM »

making a tiny needle gauge might be pretty difficult - although I guess if you could find someone with a decent set of drill bits it wouldn't be too hard. I have seen some pretty small ones though.
How about a row counter, I rarely use one but she might find it useful. Cute stitch markers are a must and stitch holders would probably be useful, although I'm not sure whether you'd get them in a little tin.
It's a really cute idea, I was thinking of doing something similar for a friend that I just taught to knit. Depending on how advanced she is maybe you could print out a list of abbreviations, that could be handy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
hgflower

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006 05:29:40 PM »

It's a really cute idea, I was thinking of doing something similar for a friend that I just taught to knit. Depending on how advanced she is maybe you could print out a list of abbreviations, that could be handy.

that is a very good idea!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my wist
musicmob
fluffyhelen

<3 etsy&craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006 06:28:07 PM »

Knitting needle gauge checker
Stitch holder (a proper one, as opposed to a piece of yarn like I use..)
A pair of small scissors
A "crafting needle" (I keep mine in the pocket in my purse, then I ALWAYS have it..)
A notepad and pencil
Pom pom maker

OK so these wouldn't fit in an altoids tin but I made up a small knitting essentials bag for a friends birthday recently and these are some of the things I included!

I also gave her a circular needle suitable for making a hat and typed out instructions on how to make a basic hat using one.

I have a "knitting artbin storage bag" thing.  The most useful thing which I've been given has got to be a knitting needle roll though, by a long shot.  I always lose my knitting needles!

Oooo.. a pair of needle end covers, to stop work sliding off the knitting needles too.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JBoudreau
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006 07:51:05 PM »

A couple of different sized crochet hooks for fixing stitches that have mysteriously run away...every time I take my knitting out of the house, it seems like it happens to me!

And yeah, I'm with fluffyhelen, definitely a pair of needle end covers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
djinnj
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006 09:09:02 PM »

You can fit a table of the most common knitting needle size conversions (US, metric, UK, and Japanese) on a standard business card if you use a small enough font.  Depending on her experience level, a chart of yarn weights and minimum yardage for general projects might be handy, and something marked so she can do wraps per inch in a yarn shop.  A measuring tape for use on projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tamantha
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006 02:57:13 AM »

One of those teeny tiny bottles of spirits you get in hotel room bars.

Although, maybe that's just me. And I'd definitely need more than one, depending on what I was working on.

Maybe a cable needle?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

m*babylon

you can't get there from here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006 07:45:02 AM »

i think stitch markers are an absolutel must.  i can't tell you how often i lose one, especially in the car (as a passenger, of course!) i've had markers slip off my needles and fall under the seat.
small rubber needle protectors
a tiny bottle of hand lotion
a couple of mini-balls of yarn to use as scrap yarn
row counter

but definitely stitch markers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

just a city boy, born & raised in south detroit
he took the midnight train going anywhere...
amey
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006 07:54:02 AM »

I think someone here posted a business card sized needle list - so you could see what you already had when you were out shopping.  That would be handy to have with you.  The standard abbreviations should also fit on a business card - you could mount it to the lid of the tin on the inside.

Have you seen this: http://knitcouture.com/prod.itml/icOid/18 - it might give you an idea.  I think a tiny notepad and a golf sized pencil/tiny pen would be wonderfully handy sometimes.

~amey
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hgflower

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006 09:24:42 AM »

oh wow! thanks for that link Smiley
and thanks to everyone for your suggestions!! i think i'm gonna have to do a mini shopping trip before i start on this Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my wist
musicmob
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn about Glass Art
The Art of Turkish Quilting
The Art of Kilim Weaving and Miniature Painting
The Art of Glass and Ceramic Tile Painting
The Art of Turkish Ebru
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...