A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 299,139
Currently Running With Scissors:
404 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what would you put inside a knitting travel/survival tin?  (Read 4902 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

discoprincess
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006 11:36:06 AM »

http://www.kangaroo.uk.com/needles/knitchart.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No, I was merely reading the Muggle magazines. I do love knitting patterns.
-- Dumbledore

Ravelry: disco
hgflower

happiness is a bowl of noodles :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006 11:45:38 AM »

that is definitely handy! thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my wist
favorite new song w/video! onerepublic - apologize
musicmob
have random thoughts? send them my way!
ilovemyff
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006 07:28:46 PM »

I second the suggestion of a crochet needle and also safety pins to use as stitch holders or actual stitch holders. My box is just a little bigger than an altoid box but I found a small calculator to fit  in it for when I'm knitting w/o a pattern and need to calculate things. My husband is so envious of my box that I have to make him one too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hgflower

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2006 07:46:55 PM »

wow, lots of votes for the crochet hook. i have to admit, i never use one.. i'm too lazy to buy one for myself so i always use a bobby pin, but then again i'm weird like that  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my wist
musicmob
ilovemyff
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2006 08:18:17 AM »

not weird, resourceful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dialectic material
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2006 10:57:57 AM »

i third the crochet hook.  i just have one but i am completely lost without it.

also if you're running short on space in your altoid tin, i carry a thingie of dental floss because it is a multitasker. 1) the floss can be used in place of scrap yarn -- to hold stitches or life line and what not.  2) the cutter actually cuts through yarn...i use it instead of tiny scissors. (plus it can also be used as dental floss! Smiley)
you could make a little label for it so she knows you're not just telling her to floss more. Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ain't no power like the power of the people cuz the power of the people don't stop
DeadDisco
I'm the ne plus ultra, of B+ cultcha'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2006 05:59:15 AM »

I use an Altoids Tin too! Here's something I did for mine. Glue a flat magnet (like one of those pizza delivery company magnets) into the inside lid of the tin. Now it will hold your yarn needles (if you use metal ones) and safety pins. Because no one needs four Papa John's magnets on their fridge Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hgflower

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2006 09:32:07 PM »

hmm.. that dental floss thing is pretty interesting! i always carry some with me, but i never thought to use it as a knitting resource! and the magnet thing is a cool idea too, i'm gonna look into a neat way of incorporating it into my tin Smiley
so a quick question.. since everyone is suggesting a crochet hook (i don't crochet so i don't know much), what size hook should i get? do they sell mini hooks that would fit inside a tin? if not, can i make one easily?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my wist
musicmob
lemonadelemonade
.Eciwt erehwyreve eb ot tnaw I.

confusion between what we have and what we are...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2006 09:58:24 PM »

If you're still thinking of making a tiny needle gague, I just had a stroke of genious on how to make one.  (who knows if it would actually work, but at least it's a place to start)

Cut a whole bunch of 1"/1" squares of cardboard from a cereal box.  On each, trace a hole of a different needle size from your big life-size needle gague.  You could do that nifty thing where you go over the shape of the hole a zillion times with something sharp until the circle pops right out neatly.  Y'know.. like kids do with ballpoint pens on their school notebooks.
Then, attach all the squares together with tape in an organized fashion.  Make it so that they fold up nicely and can be unfolded into a long row of squares.  Finally, label them all.  You could even paint the cardboard and the tape so that not only is it a mini needle gague, but it's a handcrafted, pretty one!

Ooh, I hope you do this so I can see what it would be like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://goknitstuff.blogspot.com/

"You aren't just knitting.  You are assigning a value to human effort."
-Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
jane feebles
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2006 10:04:46 PM »

That is such a cool idea!!

And answering the post before that one, if you get a small plastic hook (about 3mm) you can cut off the end with a hacksaw, boxcutter or brute strength to fit in the tin.  Picking up stitches is miles easier with a hook.  There's a thread on the crocheting page about carving your own hook from a chopstick, but if you're not really a crocheter you might find that process a bit involved (I loved it. I feel so homespun using my handmade hooks  Smiley)
I also second the inclusion of handcreme.  I always keep a tube in my knitting bag.  It's so horrible knitting with dry hands, the yarn just seems to catch.  Plus everything you're knitting picks up the nice moisturiser smell
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do you stitch? Do you bitch? Do you live in BrisVegas?? http://brisbanesnb.wordpress.com/

sighing, she stared wist-fully across the crowded buffet table
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Rock the Logomania Trend
Get a Casual Malibu Look on a Budget
Behind the Scenes of Laura’s Prom Makeover
Angelina Jolie Goes to the Dark Side
Johnny Wujek Spills Prom Tips and Trends
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...