A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 299,152
Currently Running With Scissors:
514 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what would you put inside a knitting travel/survival tin?  (Read 4903 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hgflower

happiness is a bowl of noodles :)

View Profile WWW
« on: February 16, 2006 04:38:43 PM »

whenever i take projects outside of the house with me, i usually bring along an altoid tin that has tiny scissors, a measuring tape, a nail file, safety pins, and a crafting needle (not the official name, but y'know.. giant needle for weaving in ends); and one of my knitting friends has a birthday coming up. i want to make her a similar knitting survival tin, but with a theme of some sort (haven't quite decided yet) and i was wondering if there's anything else i should add?
probably some home made stitch markers, but is there anything else that i'm leaving out? if i could figure out a way to make a tiny needle guage that would fit inside the tin, that would be so cool.
what do you guys consider a necessary tool to have with you when you're knitting? maybe some stitch holders? a hair tie? (cause i'm ghetto and instead of getting those end things for my needles, i just bind them together with my hair tie  Grin )
anyways, thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my wist
favorite new song w/video! onerepublic - apologize
musicmob
have random thoughts? send them my way!
ysolda
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006 05:20:51 PM »

making a tiny needle gauge might be pretty difficult - although I guess if you could find someone with a decent set of drill bits it wouldn't be too hard. I have seen some pretty small ones though.
How about a row counter, I rarely use one but she might find it useful. Cute stitch markers are a must and stitch holders would probably be useful, although I'm not sure whether you'd get them in a little tin.
It's a really cute idea, I was thinking of doing something similar for a friend that I just taught to knit. Depending on how advanced she is maybe you could print out a list of abbreviations, that could be handy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
hgflower

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006 05:29:40 PM »

It's a really cute idea, I was thinking of doing something similar for a friend that I just taught to knit. Depending on how advanced she is maybe you could print out a list of abbreviations, that could be handy.

that is a very good idea!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my wist
musicmob
fluffyhelen

<3 etsy&craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006 06:28:07 PM »

Knitting needle gauge checker
Stitch holder (a proper one, as opposed to a piece of yarn like I use..)
A pair of small scissors
A "crafting needle" (I keep mine in the pocket in my purse, then I ALWAYS have it..)
A notepad and pencil
Pom pom maker

OK so these wouldn't fit in an altoids tin but I made up a small knitting essentials bag for a friends birthday recently and these are some of the things I included!

I also gave her a circular needle suitable for making a hat and typed out instructions on how to make a basic hat using one.

I have a "knitting artbin storage bag" thing.  The most useful thing which I've been given has got to be a knitting needle roll though, by a long shot.  I always lose my knitting needles!

Oooo.. a pair of needle end covers, to stop work sliding off the knitting needles too.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JBoudreau
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006 07:51:05 PM »

A couple of different sized crochet hooks for fixing stitches that have mysteriously run away...every time I take my knitting out of the house, it seems like it happens to me!

And yeah, I'm with fluffyhelen, definitely a pair of needle end covers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
djinnj
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006 09:09:02 PM »

You can fit a table of the most common knitting needle size conversions (US, metric, UK, and Japanese) on a standard business card if you use a small enough font.  Depending on her experience level, a chart of yarn weights and minimum yardage for general projects might be handy, and something marked so she can do wraps per inch in a yarn shop.  A measuring tape for use on projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tamantha
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006 02:57:13 AM »

One of those teeny tiny bottles of spirits you get in hotel room bars.

Although, maybe that's just me. And I'd definitely need more than one, depending on what I was working on.

Maybe a cable needle?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

m*babylon

you can't get there from here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006 07:45:02 AM »

i think stitch markers are an absolutel must.  i can't tell you how often i lose one, especially in the car (as a passenger, of course!) i've had markers slip off my needles and fall under the seat.
small rubber needle protectors
a tiny bottle of hand lotion
a couple of mini-balls of yarn to use as scrap yarn
row counter

but definitely stitch markers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

just a city boy, born & raised in south detroit
he took the midnight train going anywhere...
amey
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006 07:54:02 AM »

I think someone here posted a business card sized needle list - so you could see what you already had when you were out shopping.  That would be handy to have with you.  The standard abbreviations should also fit on a business card - you could mount it to the lid of the tin on the inside.

Have you seen this: http://knitcouture.com/prod.itml/icOid/18 - it might give you an idea.  I think a tiny notepad and a golf sized pencil/tiny pen would be wonderfully handy sometimes.

~amey
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hgflower

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006 09:24:42 AM »

oh wow! thanks for that link Smiley
and thanks to everyone for your suggestions!! i think i'm gonna have to do a mini shopping trip before i start on this Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my wist
musicmob
discoprincess
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006 11:36:06 AM »

http://www.kangaroo.uk.com/needles/knitchart.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No, I was merely reading the Muggle magazines. I do love knitting patterns.
-- Dumbledore

Ravelry: disco
hgflower

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006 11:45:38 AM »

that is definitely handy! thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my wist
musicmob
ilovemyff
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006 07:28:46 PM »

I second the suggestion of a crochet needle and also safety pins to use as stitch holders or actual stitch holders. My box is just a little bigger than an altoid box but I found a small calculator to fit  in it for when I'm knitting w/o a pattern and need to calculate things. My husband is so envious of my box that I have to make him one too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hgflower

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2006 07:46:55 PM »

wow, lots of votes for the crochet hook. i have to admit, i never use one.. i'm too lazy to buy one for myself so i always use a bobby pin, but then again i'm weird like that  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my wist
musicmob
ilovemyff
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2006 08:18:17 AM »

not weird, resourceful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dialectic material
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2006 10:57:57 AM »

i third the crochet hook.  i just have one but i am completely lost without it.

also if you're running short on space in your altoid tin, i carry a thingie of dental floss because it is a multitasker. 1) the floss can be used in place of scrap yarn -- to hold stitches or life line and what not.  2) the cutter actually cuts through yarn...i use it instead of tiny scissors. (plus it can also be used as dental floss! Smiley)
you could make a little label for it so she knows you're not just telling her to floss more. Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ain't no power like the power of the people cuz the power of the people don't stop
DeadDisco
I'm the ne plus ultra, of B+ cultcha'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2006 05:59:15 AM »

I use an Altoids Tin too! Here's something I did for mine. Glue a flat magnet (like one of those pizza delivery company magnets) into the inside lid of the tin. Now it will hold your yarn needles (if you use metal ones) and safety pins. Because no one needs four Papa John's magnets on their fridge Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hgflower

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2006 09:32:07 PM »

hmm.. that dental floss thing is pretty interesting! i always carry some with me, but i never thought to use it as a knitting resource! and the magnet thing is a cool idea too, i'm gonna look into a neat way of incorporating it into my tin Smiley
so a quick question.. since everyone is suggesting a crochet hook (i don't crochet so i don't know much), what size hook should i get? do they sell mini hooks that would fit inside a tin? if not, can i make one easily?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my wist
musicmob
lemonadelemonade
.Eciwt erehwyreve eb ot tnaw I.

confusion between what we have and what we are...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2006 09:58:24 PM »

If you're still thinking of making a tiny needle gague, I just had a stroke of genious on how to make one.  (who knows if it would actually work, but at least it's a place to start)

Cut a whole bunch of 1"/1" squares of cardboard from a cereal box.  On each, trace a hole of a different needle size from your big life-size needle gague.  You could do that nifty thing where you go over the shape of the hole a zillion times with something sharp until the circle pops right out neatly.  Y'know.. like kids do with ballpoint pens on their school notebooks.
Then, attach all the squares together with tape in an organized fashion.  Make it so that they fold up nicely and can be unfolded into a long row of squares.  Finally, label them all.  You could even paint the cardboard and the tape so that not only is it a mini needle gague, but it's a handcrafted, pretty one!

Ooh, I hope you do this so I can see what it would be like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://goknitstuff.blogspot.com/

"You aren't just knitting.  You are assigning a value to human effort."
-Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
jane feebles
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2006 10:04:46 PM »

That is such a cool idea!!

And answering the post before that one, if you get a small plastic hook (about 3mm) you can cut off the end with a hacksaw, boxcutter or brute strength to fit in the tin.  Picking up stitches is miles easier with a hook.  There's a thread on the crocheting page about carving your own hook from a chopstick, but if you're not really a crocheter you might find that process a bit involved (I loved it. I feel so homespun using my handmade hooks  Smiley)
I also second the inclusion of handcreme.  I always keep a tube in my knitting bag.  It's so horrible knitting with dry hands, the yarn just seems to catch.  Plus everything you're knitting picks up the nice moisturiser smell
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do you stitch? Do you bitch? Do you live in BrisVegas?? http://brisbanesnb.wordpress.com/

sighing, she stared wist-fully across the crowded buffet table
aliastriona_angerboda
Pirate Queen, Insane Woman, Complete Nerd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2006 10:25:14 PM »

The knitting needle conversion chart is helpful, and in the same sort of vein, it could be handy to have the simple math to convert yarn weights and lengths, like this:

Grams X 0.035 = Ounces
Ounces X 28.57 = Grams
Meters X 1.0936 = Yards
Yards X 0.9144 = Meters

It could be done pretty easily with a pencil and a little notepad (if the intended person isn't averse to math), or on a little calculator.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hgflower

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2006 10:34:45 PM »

oh man lemonadelemonade , i swear we were on the same track with making our own needle gauge!! except mine wasn't as cool as yours.. i tried pasting tissue paper ontop of my needle gauge and shoving my needles through it to poke the hole, that way i could just reinforce the paper.. but yea, not so pretty. kinda retarded. but moving on, i'll have to try your cardboard idea! haha, i think i'm going to have to make my own photo album for the in progress of my new tin  Wink
and jane feebles, thanks for the crochet hook advice. i'll probably stick with the plastic idea.. dunno if i could handle the hookey part. haha, that sounds weird.
Grams X 0.035 = Ounces
Ounces X 28.57 = Grams
Meters X 1.0936 = Yards
Yards X 0.9144 = Meters

It could be done pretty easily with a pencil and a little notepad (if the intended person isn't averse to math), or on a little calculator.

that is pretty damn awesome. i still consider myself a novice, and i think i need to add this to my tin Smiley and (sadly) i would need the calculator to help me with the conversions.. although i cheat and use my phone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my wist
musicmob
bftscgirl
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2006 09:38:46 AM »

This knitting travel/survival tin  is such a good idea that I went on a search to find the knitting needle inventory card. It is  not exactly what I wanted, but I am sure it will do. I think just resize it and put it on a threefold card and it will work well.

http://www.sattler-reimer.com/spinknit/NeedleCard.pdf

I hope this is of some use to someone else.

Rae
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love of beauty is Taste. The creation of beauty is Art.                                     

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Halidays
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2006 05:27:02 PM »

I actually carry one of the gum altoids tins in my knitting bag at all times with what I consider my essentials: a baby pair of nail clippers, stitch markers, 2 sizes of yarn needles and a cut down plastic crochet hooks.  It covers all of my needs 99% of the time.  It is so small, it fits anywhere!  Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hgflower

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2006 05:54:21 PM »

hmm.. two size yarn needles? haha, i guess i just always get the biggest cause then i know for sure it'll fit the yarn  Grin

i think i've narrowed it down to what will fit into my new tin:
magnet backing for the lid
saftey pin (as stitch holders, and also to clip the stitch markers onto)
stitch markers
scissors
measuring tape
crochet hook
nail file
scrap yarn
knitting guage
conversion chart/knitting tips/abbreviations
yarn needle
home made cable needle
point protectors for needles (end point thingy's.. whatever you want to call them)
and if i can find a bottle tiny enough.. lotion

heh, i seriously think that's all that i can possibly fit into a tiny altoid tin. think that's good? is there something i should kick out in favor of something else? keep the suggestions coming! and thanks again for all the responses Smiley
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006 05:56:19 PM by hgflower » THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my wist
musicmob
lemonadelemonade
.Eciwt erehwyreve eb ot tnaw I.

confusion between what we have and what we are...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2006 06:42:25 PM »

For the chart of conversions and abbreviations, you could print it out with a tiny font and glue it inside the lid of the Altoids tin.  That'd save space!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://goknitstuff.blogspot.com/

"You aren't just knitting.  You are assigning a value to human effort."
-Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
hgflower

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2006 01:38:55 AM »

okay, sorry to bring back an old thread, but i *just* finished making my first travel knitting tin for someone other than myself and i had to share! this was made for the boy-girl swap, so toyshirts.. if you're post stalking me, look away now!!

my theme for this tin was ancient egypt since toyshirt's quote is
"Since when do boys knit?"
"Umm... Ancient Egypt."

so here's the front of my tin (i used an altoid size tin)

everything inside the tin

which includes two handmade cable needles (i forget the sizes), measuring tape, scissors, nail file, paper, pencil, stitch markers (shrinky dinks are my friend!), a VERY strong magnet, an extra safety pin to use as a stitch holder, a small crochet hook, stitch abbreviations, and handmade needle gauge.

here's a close up of the stitch markers and the needle gauge system i came up with

for the needle gauge, bascially you just pull off the size you want and see if it fits around your needle. i bought a boyle interchangable knitting needle kit, so i took all my needles and wrapped tissure paper around it so it fits perfectly. they're flexible and yet maintain their shape. i was very happy with how this came out!

and finally this is how everything looks when you fit it all inside the tin Smiley

alright, i think that's it! love to hear your comments Smiley thanks again for all the advice!! even though toyshirts said that he's not knitting much at the moment, i'm sure that he'll find some use out of this tin.. since all his craftster quotes have to do with guys knitting anyways!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010 10:17:07 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my wist
musicmob
elijor
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2006 08:54:16 AM »

hgflower - that is AWESOME. Who'da thunk you could fit so much goodness into a tiny altoid size tin. I think I'll be making some of those.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rosecomet

Que papi chulo!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2006 07:59:10 AM »

hgflower, that looks great but you forgot one thing: Tylenol, for when you get too frustrated with your work and get a massive headache, or you are too stressed out by life that knitting will not help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hgflower

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2006 10:41:15 AM »

yikes!! how could i forget that??  Tongue
haha, if i remember i'll try and add some before i ship everything today
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my wist
musicmob
rosecomet

Que papi chulo!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2006 08:01:51 PM »

LOL!!!! You know that's crucial especially for when the frogging sequence starts. Grin
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006 08:03:33 PM by rosecomet » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Newborns Part 3/11
How to Crochet a Granny Square Tree Skirt with a Slit 5/5
How to Crochet a Half Pinwheel Border
How to Crochet a Granny Square Tree Skirt with a Slit 1/5
How to Crochet a Granny Square Tree Skirt with a Slit 2/5
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...