A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,378
Currently Running With Scissors:
572 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Oh Gosh... pre-signup anxiety!  (Read 2689 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pocketlint

hang on to each other.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2006 11:19:12 PM »

On a semi-related note... Another thing that's been worrying me is that I'm in Australia - do many people mind that packages may take longer to arrive and other assorted issues that come with international swapping?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All we need is a little more hope, a little more joy. All we need is a little more light, a little less weight, a little more freedom.

Crafty bio + wish list

addicted to wist lists? here's mine
hgflower

happiness is a bowl of noodles :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2006 11:29:06 PM »

i see international swaping as a bonus! cause i can't help but ask for a mini region swap in addition to any regular swap  Wink
i know for myself, i really don't care about the extra time of international shipping. honestly, i don't think many ppl mind at all. it's fun! it's interesting to receive from another country!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my wist
favorite new song w/video! onerepublic - apologize
musicmob
have random thoughts? send them my way!
pocketlint

hang on to each other.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2006 11:42:07 PM »

Awww shucks, you guys are great.. I can't find any more reasons (excuses) to prevent me getting started with swapping. So when this grows to an addiction that takes over my whole world my friends and family will have you all to blame.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All we need is a little more hope, a little more joy. All we need is a little more light, a little less weight, a little more freedom.

Crafty bio + wish list

addicted to wist lists? here's mine
MissMeshell
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2006 12:44:55 AM »

pocketlint I'm in Aussie too and if you're really worried about the bit of extra time for your package to get there you can always just send a week early to make up for it Smiley
I've sent my first 3 swap packages to America and it really felt like they got there in good time (with economy airmail) and as hgflower said, in each one there was a little extra Australian goodness like timtams and the like so that's always fun too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kinkyknit
Pathological Knitter

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2006 01:02:51 AM »

Just wanted to tell you about my Craftster swap experiences.  I have done 2 (and am in the middle of number 3) and have had nothing but positive experiences so far.  The best bit is trying to think of things that suit your parner's likes.  While I'm crafting, I'm constantly thinking "oooh! I hope X will like this!" and then I get REALLY stressed waiting for the message to say that my parcel arrived, because I had a parcel get lost in the post once (not a swap parcel but it was very complicated and annoying!!).  Receiving my parcel is amazing, but more like a bonus, it's almost like you forget you're going to get something in return!

Go on, give it a whirl!

PS there's a thread on here somewhere which has lots of tips on having a positive swap experience.  Thisngs like: Don't take on too mny at once, maintain lots of communication, that sort of thing!  Good luck!  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brena80

She isn't real... I can't make her real

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2006 06:39:28 AM »

And here are some shipping (esp. International) tips.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=17487.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goatgoddess
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2006 07:01:47 AM »

Swaps are habit forming <G>

I like them for so many reasons - I've tried theme's and crafts I haven't done before so that is wonderful in of it self. The themes here are outstanding - I love to see what all the super creative people come up with  and I've had mostly good luck with swaps - as others have said sometimes you do get flaked on sometimes but I tend to "check" up on my partner - I go their profile and check out what they are posting to see if they are active and so I have a better idea of what they might like - if my partner likes to pm back and forth before a swap that is a plus on the comfort level and crafting level.

And if you do get flaked on so many wonderful people do the angel thing (I've done a few myself)

The only thing you have to be careful about in my book is getting hooked and doing too many swaps <LOL>
But there are soo many cool ones to do.

OH and on the INTERNATIONAL thing - I LOVE getting crafts from other places - when hubby rolls his eyes at me working hard on a yet another swap I tell but I'm getting stuff from Australia or England or India
How COOL is that? And he has to agree that is pretty cool even if he doesn't understand it <LOL>
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006 07:05:13 AM by goatgoddess » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mistress_batty
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Batty Bat Bat

happy hookin' mistress

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2006 08:38:20 AM »

I really wouldn't get all that worked up over it. As far as the crafts you making for other people, do the best you can. Don't throw something together that you wouldn't even give to your dog to tear apart and think that it'll be fine to send to your partner. That doesn't mean that you have to recreate the mona lisa or handcraft diamond studded tiaras. Do what you can and what pleases you and all should be fine.

With flaking hosts and swappers.....with hosts....contact a mod. They're more than willing to help out. Or sometimes someone within the swap will step up and help I. That's happened to me twice....and I just helped everyone in the swap....pull together the information about who sent and who recieved and who's gone and before ya know it....the swap is whole again.

With flaking partners.....having sent to flaked partners....my new things is....I won't send to my partner unless I hear back from them. PM them before you plan on mailing the stuff....if you don't hear back from them, check their profile....there it tells you when the last time they were on the site. Also be sure to contact  the host of the swap.....if your partner really is a flake, the host can contact a mod and set you up with a swap angel. Also, there are a lot of people within the swaps themselves, who are willing to stand up and swap with someone who got flaked on. So there are all these people willing to help......it really isn't a situation where you're floating alone in the ocean surrounded by sharks. If you think it's all a bad situation than it's going to be just that.....but sometimes you have to put faith in other people..   

Remember that communication is key. Keep in touch with your partner and the host and everything should be fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hgflower

happiness is a bowl of noodles :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2006 09:18:59 AM »

that is some really great advice mistress_batty!
and in regards to flakers, there are more pro-active organizers now who demand swappers to pm them on a certain date and time before sending out to weed out the flakers Smiley and even better, there are organizers who require thank you cards/letters after receiving; so no more worrying about unappreciative partners!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my wist
favorite new song w/video! onerepublic - apologize
musicmob
have random thoughts? send them my way!
cheekymamaof2
It doesn't feel like exercise when you're wearing chiffon.

Forget Stitch n Bitch. Nurse n Knit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2006 10:30:42 AM »

I have to agree with the taking on too many swaps at once no-no. I have been known to spend $100 bucks on shipping alone in a month because i signed up for too many swaps. Gotta watch my budget better than that, and try to pre-calculate shipping costs. Sometimes a heavy box full of crafty goodness can cost 10 to 15  bucks to send. Multiply that by 6 or 7 swaps and you get an uh oh moment. LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BOYCOTT SEW FAST SEW EASY!
visit www.freetostitchfre etobitch.org
my blogs can be found at livejournal (cheekymama) and blogspot (cheekymamaof2)
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Topshop 2014 Winter Lookbook
10 Ways to Style Your Midi Skirt
DIY: Make a Slogan T-Shirt
Gwen Stefani Makes the Denim Vest Work for Winter
Is Kim Kardashian Running Out of Clothes?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...