A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,100
Currently Running With Scissors:
661 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Clock making ideas  (Read 4854 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eva stars
« on: June 23, 2004 12:15:38 PM »

If you like making interesting clocks, try checking out your local Asian grocery. Many Asian cookies and teas are stored in metal tins and have interesting Chinese writing and/or art. Here's one I made:
http://www.ofadam.com/tantalum/tongtai.jpg
The gold lettering and the hands match wonderfully. Make sure your tin will be big enough (bring the clock hardware you plan to use with you to the grocery) and that you can easily change the batteries. That's the one drawback with the clock I made... I'll have to remove the innards to change the battery because the opening is at the top.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010 08:56:35 PM by pixieval - Reason: removed broken pic links » THIS ROCKS   Logged

candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004 01:01:14 PM »

That's such a pretty clock! I like how the hands aren't centered like they usually are. It's a very unique idea. Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amelia bedelia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004 07:55:13 PM »

wowowow! that is so beautiful. i have a bunch of old tins that i've collected from friends, (grand) parents and other people, that would be such a good idea for them. thanks for sharing Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Damn it feels good to be a gangster
klippedwingz

Are you a Llama, I asked my friend, Dave?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004 08:13:48 AM »

Wow !  Very creative idea and sounds quick also !!! I'm thinking it's a great gift  also.  hmmmmmmmmmmm....now can I part with some of my tins Huh Undecided Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marielle
Da whistles go woo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004 02:40:07 PM »

I love love love it! Where do you get the clock hardware? About how much does it cost?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookgirl
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004 08:07:17 AM »

I love love love it! Where do you get the clock hardware? About how much does it cost?

Supposedly hardware stores carry clockworks (I haven't really looked, but they always say that on Trading Spaces), and you can buy them online at http://www.walnuthollow.com/catalogimages/clockmaking.pdf.  They're pretty cheap - $3 or $4.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dyabolica

Gaze into my eyes and submit to my puppy dominion!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2004 06:59:23 AM »

cute, Michaels and Whale Mart sell them too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

R.I.P Jon 7.15.07 I will never get over losing you!
End the war in Iraq, we have lost enough our
Fathers, Mothers, Sons and Daughters! I won't be on Craftster for a while, I am just not feeling creative.
ludditegeek
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2004 01:26:19 PM »

Hello, I am new here and thought this would be a good place for my question.  In the book, Killer Tea Cosies, there is a pattern for "Big Ben."  This cozy looks like a clock but is completely sewn.  I would like to put an actual clock mechanism onto the felt material so when it says Tea Time, any time will be Tea Time (as opposed to sewing a clock that's permanently set to Tea Time).
Here's the question: How well would one of these clock mechanisms work on fabric?  If I used something like cardboard to stiffen the fabric around that area, would it work better?  Also, how about the heat off the teapot...will that affect the clock mechanism? 
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookgirl
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2004 02:18:10 PM »

Hi ludditegeek!  If you have the room on the shaft where the hands turn, washers on either side of the material would take care of the hands sticking to the fabric.  I don't know if heat will be a factor.  The problem I see is that you'd have to make the tea cosy large enough to accomodate the back part of the clock -- the square plastic box the contains all the intricate bits.  I think they're about 3/4" deep, and maybe 3"x3".  Post-it note pad sized, only thicker.  That's a pretty big and rigid structure to accomodate.  I have pathetically limited sewing skills, and would have a tough time with that.  Maybe make the cosy and then sew a pocket to the outside to fit the clock parts?  It wouldn't have the appliqued look you may be attempting, but it's an option, and you wouldn't have to worry about heat.  Good luck, and I'd be curious to see a photo of the project when you're done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ludditegeek
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004 10:21:13 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion bookgirl!  I still have many other projects I have to finish before I even start the cozy (christmas present making time is about to begin for me), but I'll post a pic when it is done. 
Oh, and I like your avatar, looks similar to my own.  Mine is a pic of me hugging my great-grandmother back when I was about 5, what's yours of?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Exfoliating Honey Scrub
Tips For Fall Beauty and Fashion
Benefit Babes Take Over NYFW!
How to Get the Megan Fox Makeup Look
Celebrities Without Makeup
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...