A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,028
Currently Running With Scissors:
585 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: any potters out there!?  (Read 5344 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

green monk
« on: February 15, 2006 01:58:34 PM »

guess what i did today for the first time!! i threw! im so happy with it!! its not TOO lopsided or uneven, and its standing up, at least, it was the last time i saw it!! Tongue i just wanted to share my joy with the rest of the crafty world! soon i will have finished pots to show off and they will be sooooo happy!! well,i will be so happy Cheesy
so, any potters out here on craftster?  tips, secrets, inspriation pages!? ive been looking at this book of maria martinez, i really love native american pottery, and her stuff is beautiful! im goign to try it, if i can find/make a decent puki.
sigh, pottery is my newfound love Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I WILL BE IN THE WOODS FROM AUGUST TO NOVEMBER... GOOD-BYE COMPUTER!!!
knittnkitten
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006 02:07:37 PM »

I started taking pottery in September, and was AWWWWWFUL in my first class. Everyone else was throwing beautiful bowls and vases, and I threw like one lopsided cat food dish. I decided to take the class again and am doing alot better this time around.

I think one of the most important tips I've learned is to always keep your elbows tucked in. It helps you to have steady, strong arms when you're trying to get it centered.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006 02:43:51 PM »

WOW!!!!! I am sooo jealous! I really want to try this! Let's see your work!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
green monk
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006 06:49:54 PM »

note: elbows tucked in Cheesy i noticed that a bit today, but it was difficult for me to remember because the benches were all kind of posturific Tongue it was quite helpful though! thats good that you are giving hte pots a second shot! ive been wanting to take pottery since freshman year in high school but never had a chance so now, almost 7 years later ( oh my gosh, is it REALLY 7 years!?  Shocked) i finally have the opportunity! my teacher was pretty happy that i was so excited to get in there Tongue
i havent fired anything yet... theyre running the kiln, but i just havent wanted to put anything in yet, but i will take unfinished pictures this weekend! ive pinched a couple teacups that i like... i want to work on those more caus they are pretty fun Cheesy and they take their own shape, so i think if i glaze them all similar then they will look pretty neat, or funky, or just kinda weird Tongue well, i cant wait to post pics, and anyone else should too!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I WILL BE IN THE WOODS FROM AUGUST TO NOVEMBER... GOOD-BYE COMPUTER!!!
actoneends

I don't want to be an adult.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006 06:53:20 PM »

one tip i can give you is that when making teacups or mugs, make the handles on the same day you make the cup, and wrap them the same.   it's very important, because if they are different wetnesses, they won't join properly...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<a href="http://www.myspace.com/thatjennagirl">Find me on MySpace and be my friend!</a>
StoryBook

I play in the mud EVERY day!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008 05:36:52 PM »

I do more slip-casting than throwing right now, but I hope to get our first wheel this fall.  I've ALWAYS wanted to move in that direction....  Such beautiful pieces, and Raku keeps calling my name... Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hand Crafted Heirloom Quality Ceramics
StoryBook Ceramics

MudPuppy Molds and Bisque Shop
DJofTexas
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008 11:16:45 PM »

I'm a potter.  I have my own wheel at home, but I'm fairly new to working in clay -- I've been doing it since Aug 2007
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yinwenqian
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008 12:43:24 AM »

welcome to my shop for Purple Clay Teapothttp://shop36049974.taobao.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StoryBook

I play in the mud EVERY day!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008 01:18:45 AM »

Wow, what font is that site in??  Can't read most of it...

welcome to my shop for Purple Clay Teapothttp://shop36049974.taobao.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hand Crafted Heirloom Quality Ceramics
StoryBook Ceramics

MudPuppy Molds and Bisque Shop
PetsuntilEaten

Animals: cute & edible. But no one eats Speckles!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008 10:00:31 AM »

Hello all!

I've just joined a new group studio in Los Angeles.  I've been getting up to speed again. I've had about 2.5 years of college ceramics (raku, wheel, casting, glaze mixing, etc) & a year at a studio too far away to be useful. I love the new studio & learning everyone else's tricks.

Here's a good one I call a "Larry Special" Mug -
A slab built bottom with a wheel thrown top.

You build a cylindrical base around a water bottle (or some round form you remove) with a wet textured slab. Cut and attach a bottom. Cut & curve a few slab handles & set aside (use balls of clay to prop handles in shape).  Let dry till nearly leather hard. Then scrap the top edge, add slip & add a dime thick coil of wet clay to the top edge of your cylinder. Now center cylinder on the wheel (using wet clay pieces to hold in place) - now the fun part - throw the drinking edge. Throw some clay down the cylinder to anchor the new clay. Then throw the lip you want. Cut when nearly finished to even out top as necessary.  Add slab handle by scraping, slip & press together.

Here's mine. I like  them - However, they aren't a great use of this technique since I think it looks better when the thrown lip is bigger, flared or just more wobbly to show off the two slyles of slab verses thrown form together.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2008 03:01:03 PM by PetsuntilEaten - Reason: Removed link & added picture. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Shape Tracking - Motion 3
How to Round Trip Between FCP and Motion
How to Run a Clip in Reverse - Final Cut Pro
Simple Keying of an IPod - Shake 4
How to Create a Shatter Effect - Motion 3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...