A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
718 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Would anyone be interested in a website like this?  (Read 1324 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pcockey
« on: February 15, 2006 12:21:32 PM »

Socknitters.com has this absolutely awesome page that lists sock patterns by yarn weight, needle size, gauge, etc etc. I love knitting socks, so I use it as a reference to find patterns to work with the materials I have. I certainly don't have dpn's in every size (though I know some people do!), nor do I have the money to buy them all the time. Same goes with straight and circular needles, and of course I don't always have the right yarn for the job...

What I really want is a website where I can very specifically search for free patterns by the materials I have on hand. Maybe drop-down menus where I can choose type of project, needle size/type, yarn weight, amount of yarn, and so on. I've been getting all bitchy that such a resource doesn't exist...then I realized, well, heck, I have a website and my design skills certainly extend far enough to make such a thing!

So basically, it would be pick what you have, then get links to free patterns you could make using the stash rather than worrying about running out and buying new stuff. Not that I'm saying buying new stuff is bad, but if you're like me and all three pairs of #8's are currently occupied, but those #5 circulars are looking lonely...plus I think it might make a great stash cleaner. Of course, it would take a good while to set up...hence why I'm looking for interest. Would anyone else use this site, were I to set it up?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

janie00
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006 12:25:06 PM »

Yes Maam!  A jr. high student, a short attention span, and a low budget imply that I cannot always be buying new supplies as much as I'd love to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when i grow up, i'm going to Aristasia to wear full length velvet gowns to cocktail parties.
aliciasjoy

my alien kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006 12:30:26 PM »

A website like that would make me cry tears of joy!
I think about it all the time when I go to knittingpatterncent ral, which is a wonderful site, but then when I find a pattern I like, I have to go searching for what the weight of the yarn in the pattern is, because I almost always have to substitute due to poordom.
Even if you just sorted the patterns according to gauge, that would be so awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ultraviolet
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006 01:17:08 PM »

Yes, I would use it!

But please, I beg of you, make it so you can view it in Firefox, unlike sockknitters.com which only looks right in IE....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://blog.threegoodrats.com

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
pcockey
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006 03:11:04 PM »

Yes, I would use it!

But please, I beg of you, make it so you can view it in Firefox, unlike sockknitters.com which only looks right in IE....

Hehe, Actually, all my stuff only gets tested in Firefox, Safari, and if I remember Camino. Usually I just ask someone who actually has IE on their computer to check it (though with the others covered, IE is usually no problem). My web designing revolves around Firefox and Safari.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Obsessed Knitter
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006 04:03:49 PM »

I'd definitely be interested! I'm a college student, and not very stable fund-wise. It would be great to look up patterns by yran, needle size, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Curlyredheadgirl

Faith is the evidence of things not seen. Heb.11:1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006 05:58:15 PM »

Great - great - GREAT idea!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can never change the past. But by the gace of God, you can win the future. So, remember those things which will help you forward, but forget about the things which will only hold you back.

My Blog - http://curlyredheadgirl.blogspot.com/
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006 06:07:20 PM »

Brilliant!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
green monk
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006 06:31:03 PM »

i would SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOO (X'S 1MILLION BAJILLION QUADRILLION) be interested Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I WILL BE IN THE WOODS FROM AUGUST TO NOVEMBER... GOOD-BYE COMPUTER!!!
tigergirl
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006 06:54:09 PM »

Sounds like an excellent idea!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Post Production of a Landscape Photograph
Post Production of a Low Light Photography
Merging Layers in Photoshop
Low Light Photography
Curves of the Image
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...